cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic air tank drain valves

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to drain the water from the air tanks on our RV and I couldn’t find the drain valves. No valves to turn and no lanyards to pull. On the tanks, where drain valves should be, are some sort of gizmo with an electrical connection. Could they be some type of electric drain valves? If so, how do you operate them, or are they automatic?
2000 Newmar London Aire. 40’, Spartan chassis, 350 Cummins, Allison 6 sp, air ride, air brakes.
24 REPLIES 24

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
MT BOB wrote:
Now, unless federal laws have changed, if you have no manual drains on your primary and secondary tanks, then you MUST have a 3rd tank,a wet tank, first in line from the pressure from the air compressor, and it will have a manual valve. However, has been along time since I have worked on the big stuff, there might be something new.

On our RV there are two tanks. One is the wet tank and the other is divided internally so it actually is two tanks together. Each half has its own drain valve. All the valves are these automatic type.
2000 Newmar London Aire. 40’, Spartan chassis, 350 Cummins, Allison 6 sp, air ride, air brakes.

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Now, unless federal laws have changed, if you have no manual drains on your primary and secondary tanks, then you MUST have a 3rd tank,a wet tank, first in line from the pressure from the air compressor, and it will have a manual valve. However, has been along time since I have worked on the big stuff, there might be something new.

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
They spit out moisture and moisture laden air every time there is a pressure change.
OPERATING TEST
With system charged, make several foot valve applications

and note each time an application is made, an exhaust of

air occurs at the exhaust port of the drain valve.

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
MT BOB wrote:
Heated automatic drain valve is what it looks like. What is the make/name on it?

Midland. And while I was blowing up the pic to read that, I also noticed the smaller print which says “automatic drain valve”. So I guess that confirms that LOL. But what if one were to fail? I wouldn’t know. I wouldn’t be able to drain the tanks manually.

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny G1 wrote:
Known as a Spitter valve, found on most trucks and can be heard every few minutes, some are electric and some are pressure driven. Listen to them for the better part of my life as I put in 60# yrs over the road.

So what’s it’s purpose? Is it just to let water out if the tank?

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Heated automatic drain valve is what it looks like. What is the make/name on it?

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Known as a Spitter valve, found on most trucks and can be heard every few minutes, some are electric and some are pressure driven. Listen to them for the better part of my life as I put in 60# yrs over the road.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Opnspaces for the info. I got my RV info into my signature and I finally understand how to insert pictures. Here is a pic of the gizmos that are on the bottom of my air tanks.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
For picture posting you can go to the Forum Posting Help and Support page. There is a sticky at the top of the page for RV.Net Tutorials and Picture related FAQ's. Click on that link and read Easy Photo Upload & Posting Web App!

Basically you copy your picture and paste it into the link above. Then copy the address that it returns and paste that address right into your post.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Cindy and Steve wrote:
I screwed up when I was registering on this site and I didn’t make a signature with that info. Now I have searched and clicked the help button but can’t find where I go to do that. Also can’t figure how to post pictures.

The coach is a 40’ 2000 Newmar London Aire.

There are two places you can visit to add or change information about you and your rig.

At the top right of this page click on My Forums then in the middle of the page find and click on My Preferences Enter your password if asked. Enter your signature information and then make sure you scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click SUBMIT CHANGES to save your changes.

You can also click on My Forums and then click on My Profile Enter your password if asked. Make your changes and then make sure you scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click SUBMIT CHANGES to save your changes.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Call Spartan on Monday with your VIN and they can tell you very easily what tank drains your chassis came with. That doesn't mean if manual valve that the coach maker remembered to pull a lanyard to an easy to reach location.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Cindy_and_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
AND, what chassis. The air tank drains are part of your chassis, not coach.

Thanks.

It’s a Spartan chassis. I’ve seen guys mentioning K2 Spartan chassis but I don’t know if ours is that one.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I ask if you lost air pressure when you level I did not mean that is the way to dump the tanks. I have 4 dump valves for the bags that dumps them. I take it you did not get the manuals for this couch. If you do not mine I will send some link so you can download and print out some check list. tank test sytem

Wolfe he has a Spartan K2 Chassis.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cindy and Steve wrote:

Yes it dumps the air before it starts to level. I hadn’t thought of that. Those things I’m looking at must have something to do with that. So if they are some sort of electric air dump valves then I suppose I don’t ever have to worry about draining the water out as long as I use the automatic leveling system once in a while. Does that sound right?

No, that does not sound right to me. To be fair, I have zero experience with air systems on MHs so what I say could be called trumpism.
OTOH, for well over half a century I have drove, repaired rebuilt trucks.
For most of that time, part of drivers daily maintenance was drain any water collected out of tanks before it could cause issues. As long as there where owner-drivers, that worked great. But because failure to drain tank is unlikely to cause issue the first day, slip-seat operations, where you are unlikely to drive the same truck 2 days in a row, demanded something that worked without driver input. So auto drain valves, and then air dryers became normal.
The reason I say using leveling system, (or any other system) to drain the tank, (assuming you are draining to make sure system is dry) is because for water to get out of the tank it must go thru all the lines and valves on it's way out. Once it does that water is in everyplace you do not want water to be.