Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Potential Pop-Up TC.....Thoughts on a Hallmark Guanella?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Potential Pop-Up TC.....Thoughts on a Hallmark Guanella?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New to the group. My family (wife, teen, and young adult), currently camp in our 25' Outback TT. It is
a great family camper and suits are needs well. We have been campers for many years.

I am considering a used pop up TC for times when wife does not want to tag along on my fishing adventures (sometimes towing a boat). I found a used 2009 Guanella for sale. I went to see it last week. It's condition is well used, but not abused. Has AC, refer, stove, electric pop up, and whatever stock items were included. No black or gray tanks. It will need complete roof and sides reseal, cushions will need to be redone, and other misc repairs. Soft side vinyl does not appear to be torn anywhere. Asking $14,900.

My uses will primarily be West/Southwest in Summer, Spring and Fall (CA, NV, AZ, NM, OR, WA, ID). I have a 2003 Ford F-350, Crew Cab, V10, 2WD. I do not camp in areas requiring 4X4.

Thoughts on the asking price?
What should I look for in a used Guanella?
I am also considering used FWC Hawk models

Thanks!

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 trans
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t know what to believe on asking / selling prices anymore. But $15k for an old, in need of work, pop up TC sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. Considering that price is almost half of what I paid for the toyhauler in my sig, in brand new condition just this past spring.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baja Man wrote:

New to the group. My family (wife, teen, and young adult), currently camp in our 25' Outback TT. It is
a great family camper and suits are needs well. We have been campers for many years.

I am considering a used pop up TC for times when wife does not want to tag along on my fishing adventures (sometimes towing a boat). I found a used 2009 Guanella for sale. I went to see it last week. It's condition is well used, but not abused. Has AC, refer, stove, electric pop up, and whatever stock items were included. No black or gray tanks. It will need complete roof and sides reseal, cushions will need to be redone, and other misc repairs. Soft side vinyl does not appear to be torn anywhere. Asking $14,900.

My uses will primarily be West/Southwest in Summer, Spring and Fall (CA, NV, AZ, NM, OR, WA, ID). I have a 2003 Ford F-350, Crew Cab, V10, 2WD. I do not camp in areas requiring 4X4.

Thoughts on the asking price?
What should I look for in a used Guanella?
I am also considering used FWC Hawk models

Thanks!

I would suggest looking for a FWC Granby and let it hang over, if this Hallmark doesn't work out. The extra space is key.

If lots of roof mounted cargo were needed the Hallmark lifting mechanism and roof is much more robust than the FWC.

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could buy a new palomino pop up for the same price. Just a idea.

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/21 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For comparison, 2 years ago I sold my 2007 Outfitter Apex 8 for $13000. It was fully equipped (except for AC), significantly upgraded, and in pristine condition except for a few exterior bumps and bruises. Could most likely have gotten more but I was in a hurry.
So I don't think that Hallmark sounds like a good idea at all.

Cal

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d probably go with a FWC stripped down model shell for just me or even a project M. Much easier to handle and all of the comforts I would need to flyfish rivers during most seasons.

That being said, TCs are worth what you can get for them, and as most of us know, TCs are pretty expensive compared to any other RV type.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/21 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I’d probably go with a FWC stripped down model shell for just me or even a project M. Much easier to handle and all of the comforts I would need to flyfish rivers during most seasons.

What comforts does the FWC provide that the the Hallmark does not?
How is it easier to handle?

I'm just getting into FF, so those will be many of my TC adventure.

Again, I will be traveling primarily the Southwest (CA, NV, AZ, NM, UT) and this cover some pretty nice FF areas from what I have learned.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baja Man wrote:

What comforts does the FWC provide that the the Hallmark does not?
How is it easier to handle?

Not more comforts, enough comforts for less money. Well outfitted popups with lots of features are almost as heavy or can be heavier than small hardsides.

Less features equals less money also means less weight which is easier to deal with no matter if you go with a shell or slidein, and less to break on rough roads.

I’m making the assumption that basically, you will be using the TC to sleep and cook meals. Otherwise, you will be out fishing. Not a lot of reason for a lot of creature comforts in that case.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$4900 sure. $14,900... the seller is crazy.

Never heard of a "Guanella" but the answer is the same for any 10+ year old camper. Look for EVERYTHING. Literally anything could be broken, worn out, etc..

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/21 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The price seems very high, but is it what you want?

I would not buy a camper without a toilet, shower, etc. I would not buy one that had to be setup in order to be used or taken down to be moved.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Potential Pop-Up TC.....Thoughts on a Hallmark Guanella?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.