cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windshield gasket leak

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
The rubber gasket at the top of the windshield over the dash on the driver's side has a slow leak. How do I address this?
7 REPLIES 7

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
First make sure it really is the windshield leaking. I've fixed more than one "windshield leak" by resealing the marker lights above it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire. Going into a campground where the road went from flat to tilting a few degrees. The next morning I found daylight between the windshield gasket and the fiberglass. Took it to a glass company and they realigned it. About 3 months later, it happened again. I let the next owners figure it out.

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 2000 Airstream Land Yacht 30' Class A.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Teleman wrote:
The rubber gasket at the top of the windshield over the dash on the driver's side has a slow leak. How do I address this?

If your windshield is glued in place like a lot are, the gasket is just a trim piece.
You can take some windshield sealant, available at most auto part stores, pull the rubber back and squeeze the sealant into the suspected leak area.

During my recent windshield replacement, It was amazing at how many voids ( lack of sealant) there were on all sides of the windshield. Overall poor quality workmanship from Fleetwood.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
The wizard has the answer.

However you could run a strip of that touted eternabond across the top. ๐Ÿ˜‰

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
There is only one way to PROPERLY repair this. Have a professional remove the windshield and replace the gasket.

2 problems. I had to buy a new windshield to get a new gasket. If there is any rust on the surface under the gasket (likely) it must be properly repaired, primed and painted or the leak will be back shortly.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It will depend on many things. But first we really need to know what kind of RV you're dealing with.

Is it a class A Class C a Class B van or a cabover camper.? can you give us the year make and model so we can make a more educated guess?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup