cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laptop battery stored in a cold car...?

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I need to make an upcoming trip where I will be parking my car at the Denver airport for about 5 day.

I will have my laptop with me but won't be taking it on the plane. I would like to leave it stored in the car for that time. Denver could get into the 20's this time of year at night... don't anticipating it getting too much colder. Days are nice= 50's.

Should the battery be OK?

When I return, I will NOT be plugin in and using the computer right away... it will be a couple of hours that the temperature can acclimate back to normal before use.

I really do not have the option of not facing this situation. I am in Denver for work and then hopping a plane and do not need nor want to take it with.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
20 REPLIES 20

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
I have left laptops in cars over night for 15 years. literally every single day, temps as low as -10f, where water drips off the laptop as you bring it inside. and I turn them on while still wet.

They all have lasted 5+ years and died due to cycle count.

Don't remotely worry about it.

James_William
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Brandon the Traveler wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Remove the battery. Wrap it in a blanket

And that will do what? Is the battery going to generate its own heat? Electric blanket? You'll need a long cord, those airport parking lots are huge.

Wrap in blanket laptop and battery (removed). Then allow the laptop and battery to slowly warm up to room temperature. Then charge.

Li can be frozen--not recommended. But charge them when it is -4 F and you have a poor and expensive door stop. You want them to warm up slowly if at all possible.

Hi,i think the easiest way is to Use your fingers or a lint-free cloth to physically remove any large dust clumps or visible lint. Such debris clogs the laptop's cooling system and causes .

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
d3500ram wrote:
I do not need nor want to take either the computer nor the battery with me on the plane, hence my asking for opinions.

In that case the whole discussion is silly. Just stash the laptop in the truck and move on with life.

The battery will get cold either way.

Only way you have parasitic loss is if you put it in "sleep" mode rather than turning it off.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Brandon the Traveler wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

And that will do what? Is the battery going to generate its own heat? Electric blanket? You'll need a long cord, those airport parking lots are huge.

Wrap in blanket laptop and battery (removed). Then allow the laptop and battery to slowly warm up to room temperature. Then charge.

Li can be frozen--not recommended. But charge them when it is -4 F and you have a poor and expensive door stop. You want them to warm up slowly if at all possible.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Many laptops,and other electronics, have "parasitic drain". This means the battery can go dead, even when off. Some laptops, in as little as 10 days. This is why I recommend removing the battery.Just plain logic.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just to clarify...

...yes, I was concerned about battery in cold temperatures while leaving it in the car for a few days. I do not anticipate those temps being sub-zero but there is a chance of it dipping below freezing (32 degrees.)

I do not need nor want to take either the computer nor the battery with me on the plane, hence my asking for opinions.

Methinks it prudent to remove the battery and stash it and the laptop out of sight before arriving at the parking lot. The computer and battery will have a couple of hours to acclimate upon return before needing to turn it back on.

Based on the great comments and discussion, I am not going to worry about leaving the components for a few days in the conditions described.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
I presume if he's worried about the battery freezing, it presumes he's taking the battery on the plane with him so he can keep it warm (the rest of the laptop stays in the truck).

Presume away.

d3500ram wrote:
I will have my laptop with me but won't be taking it on the plane.

d3500ram wrote:
Correct. I am not taking the laptop with me, but Valhalla's comment is good advice if one were to take a device where screening might be necessary.

I will take the OP at his word.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

I went.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Bobbo wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
I'm not sure if they are doing it lately but lots of destinations require you to turn on electronics...so a battery may be an issue going thru security as there is nothing to turn on.

He is leaving the laptop in the car. It won't be going through security.

I presume if he's worried about the battery freezing, it presumes he's taking the battery on the plane with him so he can keep it warm (the rest of the laptop stays in the truck).

Security at a lot of airports requires you to power up electronics, to show that you aren't using it to smuggle a bomb inside the device (not saying it makes sense...just what we've experienced at probably 75% of the airports we've been thru over the last 5yrs).

How do you power up a battery pack without the laptop to show that it's an operational piece of electronics?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
No need to remove battery. Many have been well below 0* F, including mine. If it makes you feel better, then remove it.

Ive flown many times with laptops/electronics, including Denver. Never an issue off, on, or whatever.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
I'm not sure if they are doing it lately but lots of destinations require you to turn on electronics...so a battery may be an issue going thru security as there is nothing to turn on.

Correct. I am not taking the laptop with me, but Valhalla's comment is good advice if one were to take a device where screening might be necessary.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:
Hide the laptop before you get to the airport. No need to have someone observe you parking and then hiding something then leaving.

Probably doesn't matter if you take the battery out. But if it removes easily then why not?

Going down to 20F is a non-issue and it won't self drain over 5 days if you "shut down" the computer as opposed to just closing the lid which may just put it to "sleep".
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, if a completely turned off laptop cannot go for 5 days without significant battery depletion, there's something wrong with it.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad