Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Laptop battery stored in a cold car...?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Laptop battery stored in a cold car...?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

I'm not sure if they are doing it lately but lots of destinations require you to turn on electronics...so a battery may be an issue going thru security as there is nothing to turn on.

He is leaving the laptop in the car. It won't be going through security.

Correct. I am not taking the laptop with me, but Valhalla's comment is good advice if one were to take a device where screening might be necessary.

srt20

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No need to remove battery. Many have been well below 0* F, including mine. If it makes you feel better, then remove it.

Ive flown many times with laptops/electronics, including Denver. Never an issue off, on, or whatever.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/21 12:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

I'm not sure if they are doing it lately but lots of destinations require you to turn on electronics...so a battery may be an issue going thru security as there is nothing to turn on.

He is leaving the laptop in the car. It won't be going through security.

I presume if he's worried about the battery freezing, it presumes he's taking the battery on the plane with him so he can keep it warm (the rest of the laptop stays in the truck).

Security at a lot of airports requires you to power up electronics, to show that you aren't using it to smuggle a bomb inside the device (not saying it makes sense...just what we've experienced at probably 75% of the airports we've been thru over the last 5yrs).

How do you power up a battery pack without the laptop to show that it's an operational piece of electronics?

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Brandon the Traveler

SC, NY, PA, WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 02:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Remove the battery. Wrap it in a blanket

And that will do what? Is the battery going to generate its own heat? Electric blanket? You'll need a long cord, those airport parking lots are huge.

I went.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/21 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I presume if he's worried about the battery freezing, it presumes he's taking the battery on the plane with him so he can keep it warm (the rest of the laptop stays in the truck).

Presume away.

d3500ram wrote:

I will have my laptop with me but won't be taking it on the plane.

d3500ram wrote:

Correct. I am not taking the laptop with me, but Valhalla's comment is good advice if one were to take a device where screening might be necessary.

I will take the OP at his word.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to clarify...

...yes, I was concerned about battery in cold temperatures while leaving it in the car for a few days. I do not anticipate those temps being sub-zero but there is a chance of it dipping below freezing (32 degrees.)

I do not need nor want to take either the computer nor the battery with me on the plane, hence my asking for opinions.

Methinks it prudent to remove the battery and stash it and the laptop out of sight before arriving at the parking lot. The computer and battery will have a couple of hours to acclimate upon return before needing to turn it back on.

Based on the great comments and discussion, I am not going to worry about leaving the components for a few days in the conditions described.

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many laptops,and other electronics, have "parasitic drain". This means the battery can go dead, even when off. Some laptops, in as little as 10 days. This is why I recommend removing the battery.Just plain logic.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brandon the Traveler wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

And that will do what? Is the battery going to generate its own heat? Electric blanket? You'll need a long cord, those airport parking lots are huge.

Wrap in blanket laptop and battery (removed). Then allow the laptop and battery to slowly warm up to room temperature. Then charge.

Li can be frozen--not recommended. But charge them when it is -4 F and you have a poor and expensive door stop. You want them to warm up slowly if at all possible.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/21 11:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

I do not need nor want to take either the computer nor the battery with me on the plane, hence my asking for opinions.

In that case the whole discussion is silly. Just stash the laptop in the truck and move on with life.

The battery will get cold either way.

Only way you have parasitic loss is if you put it in "sleep" mode rather than turning it off.

James William

223 E. Concord Street, Orlando, FL 32801

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/21 01:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Brandon the Traveler wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Wrap in blanket laptop and battery (removed). Then allow the laptop and battery to slowly warm up to room temperature. Then charge.

Li can be frozen--not recommended. But charge them when it is -4 F and you have a poor and expensive door stop. You want them to warm up slowly if at all possible.

Hi,i think the easiest way is to Use your fingers or a lint-free cloth to physically remove any large dust clumps or visible lint. Such debris clogs the laptop's cooling system and causes .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Laptop battery stored in a cold car...?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.