Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
Will this truck pull an imagine 2250rk travel trailer ok
31 REPLIES 31

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Top it off, the ole Ram throws a cel and service air filter message that morning as well after I took it in lieu of the Trail Lemon.
I was like now what. Figured something failed and last month I finally reinstalled the OE airbox and Ram air guts in lieu of the bdhaf that the original owner had on it.
Turned out was just the arm that operates the Ram air flappy doodles in the air box had popped off effectively closing both inlets into the airbox making the truck think the air filter was plugged.
All good took 10 minutes to fix and clear codes. Nice job Ram. Everything works as designed even 6 years almost 100k miles and deleted emissions and tuned ecm.
Chevy , kiss my @ss! Lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
First update, second bank of lifters went in, in Dec. Seems to be fine.
Second update, the Trail Lemon left my driveway on a rollback on Thursday.
Piece of sht, that truck is. Almost enough to make me like Ford! (Jk not likely in this lifetime, lol).
Hereโ€™s the story. Drove home from Spokane Wed night. 300mi , 4 hours , 1 tank of gas. No problemo.
Next morning. Randomly I decided to remote start it because the key was in my pocket and not laying in the truck where I usually leave it.
Got outside truck had died and took 2 attempts to start. Crank for a long time before firing.
Immediately ESC disabled, reduced power message and cel. Reduced power was accurate. Wouldnโ€™t go much over 40 even when I matted the skinny pedal.
Parked it called our eq guy and he sent a wrecker.
Now hereโ€™s the stranger part. Truck got to dealer and supposedly runs perfect, no lights, NO codes , no issues!
What a pile! Maybe theyโ€™ll lemon it! Haha wishful thinking. But Iโ€™d probably end up with one with a missing computer chip!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Welp the old Trail Boss is headed back in for surgery again. Dunno which cylinders are affected. Presume the side they didnโ€™t replace lifters on.
Twice in a month. Sure wish Iโ€™d gotten 16 lifters and not 8 new ones the last time around.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thunderbolt wrote:

My coworkers 2021 5.3 just came back from the dealer with the same issue and had all the lifters replaced. His dash lights all lit up like a Christmas tree as well.

They only did 1 bank, complete. 2 collapsed lifters on the same bank.
Read a TSB dunno if it's the most recent one, that trucks under 8000 miles get ALL lifters replaced if even 1 collapses. Over 8k miles and just the affected bank is replaced.
I would have preferred all of them replaced, presuming the updated ones aren't defective.

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
enblethen wrote:
I recently saw an article indicating 5.3 engines have a lifter issue. There is suppose to be a service bulletin on the issue. Free repairs!

And the 6.2s apparently, from doing some light reading on why my truck might have pooped the bed yesterday...

My coworkers 2021 5.3 just came back from the dealer with the same issue and had all the lifters replaced. His dash lights all lit up like a Christmas tree as well.
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of really vague information in this thread, and no one knows how to look up towing capacity in the owners manual? Accurate numbers certainly aren't going to be found in generic lists on the Internet.

Your owners manual has several pages listing all possible cab, gear, 4wd/2wd, engine, and trim configurations and their respective towing capacities. In my 2016 Silverado manual it starts on page 333. You'll need to know your gear ratio which you can find in your RPO code list. That's found in your glove box, it's a QR code for 2018 and newer (used to be a printed sticker).
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
enblethen wrote:
I recently saw an article indicating 5.3 engines have a lifter issue. There is suppose to be a service bulletin on the issue. Free repairs!

And the 6.2s apparently, from doing some light reading on why my truck might have pooped the bed yesterday...

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
My 2019 5.3 towing 6,000 lbs can accelerate up any 7% grade here in Az with no problem. My 93 suburban 5.7 could hardly maintain 35 mph on the same hill and my 2002 5.3 had to hit first gear but this 2019 5.3 8 speed is a towing beast for a small engine.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 pages of replies and the last post that had anything to do with the OPs question was post #6 on the first page....
I'm guilty of starting the ball rolling downhill based on part of a previous comment that also had nothing to do with the original question as an apples to oranges comparison.

If we were in confession, I am part of the problem....lol

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
"07 GMC Sierra Classic 5.3 Flex fuel, He uses regular gasoline.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
2007 with 4l80 transmission

If itโ€™s an โ€˜07 with the 4L80E that means itโ€™s a 2500 or 3500 with the 6.0L. Arguably a bullet proof engine, but the gearing in the 4L60E and newer 6/8/10 speed trannys are way more favorable (at least comparing first gear, which is critical for towing or getting rolling).
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hey Marty, glad your truck is working out great for you! You are a good example of getting the job done, doing real work, with a 1500, and a 4.3! Better tires, or even air the OEMs to the max, maybe a bit of suspension tweaking, and they'll get er did.

Ford took a big jump with the 150s, using the Ecos, and 5.0 since 11-12.

Jerry

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
enblethen wrote:
2007 with 4l80 transmission

Not even in the same ballpark as the OP's truck.

I'd bet my 4.3 would better do speed wise, get better mpg too!

Can't compare the 07 to a 2022. That's like comparing my old 89 4bbl 454 to the later vortex versions! Or an 8.1 with an Allison!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer