cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading generator

Silas_Carpy
Explorer
Explorer
First time winterizing, I think I covered all bases, finally found low point and f.w tank drains. Added pink stuff and pumped through. Star-tron in tank and filled fuel. Parked on tire savers screwed to 3/4 kilzed plywood. Checked engine anti freeze. My question is, how do people put a load on the generator during winter storage? I’ve been running the ac but only goes down to 55 so no load at temps below that. Nothing else puts that much of a draw on gen. I thought about an electric heater but using that in cold will create condensation. Supposed to run gen every month. Any suggestions appreciated.
25 REPLIES 25

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Here Here!
Do y’all believe Matt Colie because he’s a “long time engine professional” or finally get tired of arguing about something you don’t understand?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Silas,

You show great care and initiative, and that will serve you well.

Now, the problem with the advised monthly "exercising" the generator is that this old story is perpetuated by the people that sell the parts for said generators. It is bunk.

The varnish that was used on windings that had moisture trouble was replaced during WWII with the new material that does not absorb moisture at all.... So, there is not reason to warm those windings at all during storage.

The old fuel gumming up the carburetor is a real, but easily solved issue. In spite of you might have read, old leaded fuel was worse that the new alcohol loaded fuel for gum, but the new alcohol fuels can become corrosive. No good choice here at all ever. The real answer is to get the fuel out of the carburetor. If the generator has an electric fuel pump (many do) then disconnect that pump with the machine running and let it run dry. If it does not, find a place that you can disconnect or clamp the fuel line closed. It is even better if you can find the carburetor (I recently saw a new Onan and it took a while for me to find it) and you can get at it to actually drain the float bowl. That is what you really want to do.

I have several generators, I don't "exercise" any of them. One of the Onans will be 50yo soon and the is a Honda that is a couple years newer in the collection. All are drained and left alone - sometimes for a year or more and I know all will start as soon as they have fuel and a reason to start. That reason being that I pushed the button or cranked it up.

Matt - Long time engine professional
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Well, I don’t discount your experiences gents. So what % chance you think that the slip rings will corrode and need cleaned if it sits 2,6,12 months?

A friend has a cottage on an island in the Great Lakes. It is only used from the end of March until the beginning of November. The only electricity is provided by an old gasoline powered Onan 4KY gennie.

Each fall the carb is run dry after the oil and plugs are changed. That’s it.

Come spring it starts right up and runs all summer just fine, as it has like that for decades.

BTW, the edict to ‘exercise’ an Onan only appeared in the manuals AFTER it became Cummins Onan. So is it a technical requirement or a product liability requirement?

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
i was given my rv, the onan 4k hadn't run in 5 years due to a ignition coil issue. Fixed coil. generator runs flawless. take from that what you will

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Well, I don’t discount your experiences gents. So what % chance you think that the slip rings will corrode and need cleaned if it sits 2,6,12 months?

Odds I can not calculate. Seen it happen I have. thankfully not my rig, Thankfully the people who had it happen were parked next to the only active 30 amp outlets on the desert campground (MY Rig) and then only about half the time (When I was generating).

The error code the ONAN threw was "Speed to low or low battery" by the way.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’m new to these particular generators (onan RV) but sounds like they require more care or maintenance than the 100s of other generators I’ve used.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I too have seen several Onan generators installed at off grid cabins need their slip rings cleaned. It usually happens a couple years after I install solar systems in the cabins and the owners stop running their generators all the time. They just sit their unused while the owners enjoy the new solar system. Then, a long cloudy stretch comes along and the gen will start but not stay running until the rings get cleaned.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Used to be the "recommendation" was to keep the field windings from de-magnetizing. Honestly can anyone who is adamant about this relate an actual experience where the windings needed re-magnetized or corrosion kept the generator from operating properly?

I haven't seen a de-magnetized RV generator in years, but I cleaned the corrosion buildup off a pair of Onan 7000 slip rings for a fellow just last month because it wouldn't keep running when he let go of the start button. The generator hadn't been run in 4-5 months.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Used to be the "recommendation" was to keep the field windings from de-magnetizing. Honestly can anyone who is adamant about this relate an actual experience where the windings needed re-magnetized or corrosion kept the generator from operating properly?

Funny you should bring this “recommendation” up.

A good friend of mine inherited the family summer place, on an island in the Great Lakes. Electricity is supplied by an old Onan genset. Maintenance involves changing the oil every fall (mid October) and then running the carb dry till ts sparked back up the following Easter.

It is well into mid 5 figures on the Hobbs meter, never an issue, ever.

The only difference between those old units and today’s units?

Cummins has more / better lawyers than Onan did……..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It means you don't have to worry about any fuel quality issues or deposits in the carb.
I wouldn't get too wrapped up in trying to approximate load. If you must run it to sleep well at night, plug in, whatever. And if you don't think that's enough, plug in a few whatevers.

Silas_Carpy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again all. KD4UPL, Rig is in driveway, why didn’t I think of that? Gen is 3600 watt so I guess I’ll need 2 1500 heaters, run one on full, one on 750 to get enough draw. Also gen is propane fired so I don’t know how that figures in with all the talk about gas and carburation.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
As Dutch pointed out and everyone else ignored the main point of running an Onan per the manufacturer's recommendation it to keep the electrical parts in good shape. Sea foam, draining the carb, etc. have absolutely nothing to do with moisture and corrosion in the slip rings. They have nothing to do with moisture and corrosion in the windings.

OP,
I always used a little electric heater to load my 2,500 Onan. The 1,500 watt heater was a bit above 50% load. If you have a 4,000 watt generator a 1,500 watt heater is still probably fine. A larger generator may need two heaters to get approximately 50% load.
Is this RV parked near your house? Run a cord into your house and run the heater in there. This will help keep your house warm for you.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grab a few space heaters. Set 'em on LOW and make sure no two of them are on the same circuit breaker. 3 of them will be about 55%

If your rig is wired for a washing machine use that outlet for one of them. That one may be a 20 amp breaker if it is you can go to HIGH on that one and one more

Other wise keep 'em on low. and as I said Spread the load across 3 breakers

Don't have that many outlet circuits. Well two may be enough to get the heat up on the genny.

Re the Pure gas suggestion

There are TWO reasons to run a generator often ONE is gasoline, the other is electronic.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
fill the tank with stabil or seafoam and drive it to stir it up. then run the generator long enough to get it into the carburetor. it will then be fine to sit all winter.

Yep.

Most problems with hard-starting (or not being to start the engine at all) are due to ethanol in the fuel.

The ethanol gradually absorbs moisture from the air, which eventually forms water pockets.

Fuel treatments can help prevent this (or at least delay it long enough to avoid problems).

Another approach is to use ethanol-free gas in the generator, which can be purchased at many gas stations nowadays: Pure-Gas.org