cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mildew pre treatment

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations for wiping everything in the camper down with that could minimize mildew.
I will leave 2 fans running this winter.
Roof vent open
Small window open
It’s stored under roof with side walls.
Also a full camper cover.

Wondering if the cover defeats my windows open an fans running.

I realize some will need more info, I’ll answer all questions
(Location, year, length, manufacture etc)
Manufacturers didn’t provide any info in owner’s manual
20 REPLIES 20

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of responses of what to do to try to keep the air dry but nothing on what to wipe surfaces down with.

Here you go. I live in Bermuda where quite frequently the humidity is over 90%. No RVs here but I have been storing a 32' boat for quite some time, years, in a location that does not get much sun & can be extremely damp.

Before mothballing the boat, knowing it was not going to be used for quite some time, I wiped down all hard & smooth surfaces with a clorox/water combo 50% & left it to dry. The residual chlorine left on the surfaces kept them mildew free for well over a year.

Do NOT put on fabric.

The clorox/water combo works for other surfaces as well. Big winter project for me this years was cleaning all of the painted & exposed to weather rafter feet around my house. Dawn dishwashing liquid works well for that part but while at it the eves of the roof were somewhat moldy as well. We don't use roofing material like you do in N America. It is a much more substantial stone slate material to stand up to hurricanes which must be cleaned & recoated every few years. Again a clorox/water 50% mix works well to kill the mid cycle mildew. Spray or brush on. Leave it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
Put a few damp rid containers inside in different areas. Damp rid is your friend.

My uncle has been dealing with mildew lately. I'll tip him about the damp rid.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
Running fans all winter will just pull in moist air. Instead dry out the RV and then shut all the windows and vents. You can use a dehumidifier but I just use a small electric heater and leave a ceiling vent open and then close it after a week or so when the humidity in the RV has dropped to a low level.

IF you're using a fan that is drawing in outside air, like a roof vent fan. Simply using a fan to promote circulation will not contribute detrimentally to the humidity, but rather improve it. (Not as good as a dehumidifier)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Running fans all winter will just pull in moist air. Instead dry out the RV and then shut all the windows and vents. You can use a dehumidifier but I just use a small electric heater and leave a ceiling vent open and then close it after a week or so when the humidity in the RV has dropped to a low level.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
Welp, the OP was a 1 and done on this thread!
LOL

He's one and done on every thread.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

akkeosflomdis
Explorer
Explorer
Put a few damp rid containers inside in different areas. Damp rid is your friend.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Welp, the OP was a 1 and done on this thread!
LOL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campinghoss@51 wrote:

Yep - They're available in 4-pound buckets, which will handle a pretty large area.

Close up the RV, so that you're only dehumidifying the air inside it.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I winterize I remove the batteries and unplug the trailer from power. I do cover with an RV cover and I feel this is a great way to save the outside of the trailer and roof. I close the trailer completely leaving no open windows or vents. I use 2 dry-z-air refillable packs, one in the kitchen sink and one in the bathroom sink. I check the trailer a couple times through the winter, empty the water in the sink, and refill the crystals. I have yet to see any mildew or anything in my trailer - I live outside of Seattle - very damp area in the winter. Moss grows on the north side of your trailer if you leave it uncovered...

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a small electric heater to maintain the camper just above freezing. It also does a great job of keeping the RV dry. I usually start the winter storage with a vent opened slightly and then later on I close it. I have been doing this for years without any humidity or mold issues.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rickhise wrote:
Any recommendations for wiping everything in the camper down with that could minimize mildew.
I will leave 2 fans running this winter.
Roof vent open
Small window open
It’s stored under roof with side walls.
Also a full camper cover.

Wondering if the cover defeats my windows open an fans running.

I realize some will need more info, I’ll answer all questions
(Location, year, length, manufacture etc)
Manufacturers didn’t provide any info in owner’s manual

So we full time now so this is far less of an issue for us, but before we full timed, we never had an issue with mildew in winter storage.
We lived in the greater Portland, OR area. Our 5er was stored at a storage lot, all vents opened, no windows (no Power).
We kept it stocked with clothes and non-perishable food, so we could take off at a moments notice, never had an issue with mildew.

So where are you located, has a lot to do with mildew.

You state it is under a shed with sides, I would not use a cover, I would make sure you have vent covers on your vents.

As you have power, fans, and a dehumidifier will be a big help.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are storing it in a dry condition. You should be able to close everything up and run a dehumidifier inside for a week, shut down the dehumidifier (cut power to the trailer)and keep it closed up.
That week should get the moisture level down and there should be no way for moisture to get back inside.
Note: Do not "heat the trailer". If you are making the inside of the trailer warmer than the outside you will get condensation.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
Timmo! wrote:
Small dehumidifier will offer you excellent protection. And we live in the PNW where mildew thrives like a king.

Maybe we should try a dehumidifier next.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use this in our upstairs bathroom....good for 2200 cuft (about the size of a 40' trailer).

https://www.ivationproducts.com/products/ivagdm30-midium-thermo-electric-dehumidifier#
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed