cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchase hesitation after deposit, 2 questions

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
The exciting news is my wife and I have pinned down exactly what we're looking for in a used TT. We spent several hours Saturday on a dealer's lot and stretched our budget up to ~$13k and picked one that looked good. We put a deposit down on a Used 2013 Heartland Travel Trailer RV
Trail Runner SLT 25 SLE. (https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2013-Heartland-Trail-Runner-SLT-25-SLE-5018046751)

The only thing we're worried about is that inside we noticed a couple of the ceiling panels had a bit of sag. I'm assuming some type of delamination. You only notice it if you press on the ceiling, so my feeling is, if this is from leaking, and the leak has been fixed, I could live with the small sag.

Is that a safe assumption?

The second question comes up... on our way home we stopped at another, smaller but more local dealer and saw another TT with the same floorplan, 1 year older, but seeming to be in better condition for around the same price. I'm planning to go look at it today (it was dark when we looked before) and see if there are any concerns with that one.

How bad would it be to drop the first one if we decide we like this second one better?
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!
22 REPLIES 22

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Glad it worked out, and they took the time to explain things. If you keep it at home, you should be able to get a couple over night driveway camps.

Jerry

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to reply and give my thanks for all the support and suggestions. We did end up going with this trailer, and are pretty happy with it now that we have it home.

The dealer was selling it AS-IS, so they typically didn't do much, other than winterize it (which I'm leaving in place). But they were going to run the state inspection on it. In the end, they replaced a tire, resealed the front edges and the roof (which looked good once I finally got up to see it), and even washed it all down, all before we came to do the final walkthrough. And they didn't add any of that to the bill.

When we got there, they had it parked in the garage, and had set aside 2 hours to let us go all over it with it plugged in and propane on. We got to check anything we wanted. (Which we did! 🙂 )

They did sell us a WD hitch and sway bar and charged installation, but the fella, Gordon, who helped us took his time, showing us how he was installing it, explaining why he was doing it the way he was, and gave us pointers on how to check it once we had it home and loaded so we could adjust it as necessary. He spent 30-40 minutes with us for that! He explained that they didn't want the owners to drive away 'afraid of their hitchwork'. I like that philosophy. Even tho I had towed with a WD hitch before, I finally felt like I knew the system inside and out.

Most of the folks that we dealt with at the dealership seemed like they had more important things to do, but the salesman Nick, and the hitch guy Gordon made sure we had any question answered that we asked.

So, between the two of them and the help here, I think we made a good decision and got a decent deal. The only problem is... waiting till Spring to take it out!!! :E
MK and my Wifey from PA

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom line is the chances of finding anything, even just a few years old, that does not have a leak, had a leak, or has some delam somewhere is about 0. You'll be hard pressed to find a new rig that is not already leaking, just start pulling screws from awning rails, corner trim, or marker lights and look for the rust. The vast majority of folks just don't do any preventative maintenance whatsoever. The Golden eggs are out there, **** hard to find.

Be careful with those TS folks. Good luck.
I went.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many years ago in Texas I placed a $100.00 deposit on a signed contract with a dealer north of San Antonio. Within the allotted allowed time period I changed my mind and they would not return the deposit even though clearly stated so in the contract.

So I bought a great late model TT from their competitor up the road and then towed the trailer onto their lot in front of show room and ask the lying salesmen what they thought of my new to me TT. All they said was it that the only reason I came back to their location and I said yep I am having fun sports. TT has been used by me all over USA since 2003 with no issues.

I did same thing with a truck I recently purchased when two dealers pulled a bait and switch scam on me. I then drove my new purchase from a 3rd honest dealer onto their lots in front of showroom and when they came outside I had fun again and called them the ******* lying crooks they are. More fun for me. My savings are more important to me than their lying mouths to feed.

In any type of social setting for many many years I never meet people who admit to being a salesperson at RV or boat or vehicle dealers.

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
The salesman has been texting me on and off all day, answering questions. He says it will be resealed when I pick it up.
MK and my Wifey from PA

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
We actually did ask them to write in, 'contingent on the roof'. I would be happy if they re-sealed the roof.
MK and my Wifey from PA

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was the purchase contingent on anything such as an inspection or everything working? At a minimum, if not too late based on what you signed, get them to reseal the entire roof paying particular to the area that seems to have been a source for leaks. Do a real hard look at the areas under that corner.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the amount of the deposit and any contract you signed, walking away from a bad trailer may well be better than continuing the deal.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
The TrailRunners are wood framed.
MK and my Wifey from PA

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Aluminum frame or wood? That roof would really bother me, especially if a wood frame. May well costs you more than loss of deposit.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkenyon2 wrote:
Ok, I'm getting a bit nervous. Let me ask this tho. How much would a 29' trailer cost to re-roof. This is almost 10 years old anyway.

More than it is worth to buy the trailer unless they knock at least 50% off the price....
Furthermore, if it actually does need a new roof membrane, and it's 8? years old, then it is a steaming pile that has not been cared for and you don't want it anyway.
Question is, how do you know or why do you suspect it needs new roofing?
Regardless of the answer why, it does not seem in your best interest to buy a project unless the price is right and you're a DIY guy.

That said, there's alot of knowledge here. A couple pics and some specific questions, I bet you can get some answers to your concerns.

On the upside, it's getting close to winter, camper prices should be better and IMO, I see ALOT of campers for sale and dealer lots fairly well stocked (unlike the empty car lots everywhere still) if ya gots to pass on this one..
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I'm getting a bit nervous. Let me ask this tho. How much would a 29' trailer cost to re-roof. This is almost 10 years old anyway.
MK and my Wifey from PA

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
The state where the deposit was taken may have laws requiring a "cooling off period" where a transaction that has been completed can be reversed.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Getting a deposit back from a signed contract is doubtful, unless there is a stipulation in the contract. If you are on good terms with the RV dealer/salesperson, maybe??

Ceiling panels may sag a little over time. A person familiar with leaks can tell if sag is water intrusion.

Jerry