Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Purchase hesitation after deposit, 2 questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Purchase hesitation after deposit, 2 questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The state where the deposit was taken may have laws requiring a "cooling off period" where a transaction that has been completed can be reversed.

mkenyon2

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I'm getting a bit nervous. Let me ask this tho. How much would a 29' trailer cost to re-roof. This is almost 10 years old anyway.

MK out of PA and My Wifey
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkenyon2 wrote:

Ok, I'm getting a bit nervous. Let me ask this tho. How much would a 29' trailer cost to re-roof. This is almost 10 years old anyway.

More than it is worth to buy the trailer unless they knock at least 50% off the price....
Furthermore, if it actually does need a new roof membrane, and it's 8? years old, then it is a steaming pile that has not been cared for and you don't want it anyway.
Question is, how do you know or why do you suspect it needs new roofing?
Regardless of the answer why, it does not seem in your best interest to buy a project unless the price is right and you're a DIY guy.

That said, there's alot of knowledge here. A couple pics and some specific questions, I bet you can get some answers to your concerns.

On the upside, it's getting close to winter, camper prices should be better and IMO, I see ALOT of campers for sale and dealer lots fairly well stocked (unlike the empty car lots everywhere still) if ya gots to pass on this one..

* This post was edited 10/25/21 01:16pm by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aluminum frame or wood? That roof would really bother me, especially if a wood frame. May well costs you more than loss of deposit.

mkenyon2

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The TrailRunners are wood framed.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/21 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on the amount of the deposit and any contract you signed, walking away from a bad trailer may well be better than continuing the deal.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/21 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was the purchase contingent on anything such as an inspection or everything working? At a minimum, if not too late based on what you signed, get them to reseal the entire roof paying particular to the area that seems to have been a source for leaks. Do a real hard look at the areas under that corner.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

mkenyon2

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We actually did ask them to write in, 'contingent on the roof'. I would be happy if they re-sealed the roof.

mkenyon2

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The salesman has been texting me on and off all day, answering questions. He says it will be resealed when I pick it up.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many years ago in Texas I placed a $100.00 deposit on a signed contract with a dealer north of San Antonio. Within the allotted allowed time period I changed my mind and they would not return the deposit even though clearly stated so in the contract.

So I bought a great late model TT from their competitor up the road and then towed the trailer onto their lot in front of show room and ask the lying salesmen what they thought of my new to me TT. All they said was it that the only reason I came back to their location and I said yep I am having fun sports. TT has been used by me all over USA since 2003 with no issues.

I did same thing with a truck I recently purchased when two dealers pulled a bait and switch scam on me. I then drove my new purchase from a 3rd honest dealer onto their lots in front of showroom and when they came outside I had fun again and called them the ******* lying crooks they are. More fun for me. My savings are more important to me than their lying mouths to feed.

In any type of social setting for many many years I never meet people who admit to being a salesperson at RV or boat or vehicle dealers.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Purchase hesitation after deposit, 2 questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.