cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Bed vs Bigger Overhang - off - roading

Cortttt
Explorer
Explorer
I have no experience at all with truck campers - am about to get one. I go "off-road" a lot by which I mean Forest Service/BLM roads. I've been looking at Northern Lite 8'11" and 9'6" models. The 8'11" requires a short bed and has a big overhang on the back while the 9'6" requires a long bed.

Trying to figure out which would be better "off-road"? An overhang that might scrape or a longer wheelbase with a shorter breakover angle and a larger turning radius?

I also wonder if having a long bed would have any effect on tippiness off road?
37 REPLIES 37

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
forgot to mention - quality brand name tires are worth the cost over cheaper brands.
2023 Bigfoot 2500 10.4 TC on 2000 3500 dually duramax
Previous - Bigfoot 10.11 TC, lance TC, King Of Road 5th.

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
13 years experience with a 10'-11" bigfoot TC on 4 door dually used often on BLM and forest roads in colorado mountains and more that hangs 3 feet out the back of 8' box and has extended hitch and side boxes. Ground clearance is not an issue, height is (carry a pole saw) weight of 12,000#s is a lot. Rear diff on heavy duty trucks hangs low. Need taller tires which will reduce gear ratio. We drag ours occasionally. never been stuck, but it tips and leans a lot! Punctured one of the duals on a fairly steep rocky road once. It was a 8 ply michelin at 80% tread and the rock tore a hole right through the middle of the tread. Instantly flat. Had it been a steer it would have been a challenge. Not sure we could have changed it on the grade we were on. Was able to limp to a flatter section. Not sure the same could be said if on a steep hill with drop off like those pics. In which case one might not be able to go forward or reverse. A big camper is heavy. Make sure you have a decent jack that can lift any corner loaded and lug wrench and spare. The factory mechanical screw jacks have great lift power. More than many homeownner floor jacks. When we had the flat, a crew of atvs came out of nowhere and then went back and grabbed a 2 ton floor jack they had at their camp. It would not lift it. The factor screw jack did. A hydraulic bottle jack is next best with a wood block to keep it from sinking out of sight. I recommend carrying 1.5 foot long 2x6/2x8s and foot or so long 4x4 solid wood blocks. Works for wheel chocks, making a dip a bit less if need and can build ramp on to the 4x4 for leveling. Small shovel not a bad idea either. I agree with whom said get an older aluminum lighter lance and try it. Or just go big - Bigfoot. we love
2023 Bigfoot 2500 10.4 TC on 2000 3500 dually duramax
Previous - Bigfoot 10.11 TC, lance TC, King Of Road 5th.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cortttt wrote:

Thanks. It sounds like you're doing about what I would be doing. That steep, rocky road looks like something I would probably stay away from. Over time I've become more conservative. Sometimes there's no resisting a challenge, though. ๐Ÿ™‚

Same here even w/out a camper; I have become much more conservative and less reluctant to walk over the years.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
As one who does USFS and BLM roads in Oregon, which are likely vastly higher quality than the ones you'd find in the more back country areas in the US SW and what not, I haven't had any issues so far with my 11' Campers, as I usually have a 48" hitch extension in that will hit the ground usually before it ever gets close to the camper's rear jacks would (Slightly less issue there now with the Amerigo as the rear jacks are not at the very rear corners due to the camper's structural design, but on the front edges of the rear overhang instead close to the rear bumper of the truck.

For areas with more washes and deep centers, it would be a greater issue, and would likely require some creative driving to cross them at diagonals or use something to keep the tires from going all the way to the bottom of the hole to get across safely, as I'm just as likely to plow the front basket into the ground for the same reason as I would drag my butt.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Cortttt
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a nice overview

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/building-a-great-overland-expedition-truck-camper-rig/

Cortttt
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Like in your other, very similar thread, a good point was made that there are alot of considerations in trying to do some real 4 wheelin with a TC.
And coming from a 2wd van to a 4x4, your sense of adventure could get a little bolder! lol
But, as you mentioned, a new/newer TC or any full featured TC likely is heads and tails above the van for comfort and amenities.

Back to the real question, how far into the toolies do you plan to take a TC and how often? Because with a TC you also have the option of dropping it off the truck and then getting a little western on the trails. But you'll be limited in that you won't be taking the TC to that "secret" hard to get to high country campsite, you may be camped 20 miles back closer to an improved road.

Unless the van is decked out with stove, fridge, ample water and tanks, full bath, etc, it's more of a luxurious tent.
And you wouldn't be asking all these questions if you didn't want to upgrade.

Given that RV prices (and trucks) are whoerhuose high right now, I could suggest another option.
Get the truck that you want. Then find an older, lighter, hard side camper like them Lances in the pics and go use it. It will be a much lower cost (and easy to recoup your expense by selling it as long as you keep it rubber side down) intro, with similar amenities in a slightly more manageable package than a beautiful new camper.

If it meets or exceeds your expectations regarding accessibility to the country you want to see with it, then you'll have a much better feeling for how you'd handle a heavier camper and where it's or your limits would be.
Good luck! I like where your head is at with this. Nothing better than getting your nice comfortable camper back where noone else is in your bisniss!

Thanks! I had not thought of that at all. I had thought of buying an older truck - in hopes that a hybrid version will come out in the near future - but not in checking out an older camper. Nice idea! ๐Ÿ™‚

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Like in your other, very similar thread, a good point was made that there are alot of considerations in trying to do some real 4 wheelin with a TC.
And coming from a 2wd van to a 4x4, your sense of adventure could get a little bolder! lol
But, as you mentioned, a new/newer TC or any full featured TC likely is heads and tails above the van for comfort and amenities.

Back to the real question, how far into the toolies do you plan to take a TC and how often? Because with a TC you also have the option of dropping it off the truck and then getting a little western on the trails. But you'll be limited in that you won't be taking the TC to that "secret" hard to get to high country campsite, you may be camped 20 miles back closer to an improved road.

Unless the van is decked out with stove, fridge, ample water and tanks, full bath, etc, it's more of a luxurious tent.
And you wouldn't be asking all these questions if you didn't want to upgrade.

Given that RV prices (and trucks) are whoerhuose high right now, I could suggest another option.
Get the truck that you want. Then find an older, lighter, hard side camper like them Lances in the pics and go use it. It will be a much lower cost (and easy to recoup your expense by selling it as long as you keep it rubber side down) intro, with similar amenities in a slightly more manageable package than a beautiful new camper.

If it meets or exceeds your expectations regarding accessibility to the country you want to see with it, then you'll have a much better feeling for how you'd handle a heavier camper and where it's or your limits would be.
Good luck! I like where your head is at with this. Nothing better than getting your nice comfortable camper back where noone else is in your bisniss!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cortttt
Explorer
Explorer
Just reweighed my van - 9700 lbs it is! Shocking....But it's close to the weight of a TC - which relieves my mind about being too heavy and getting stuck more often. Everything has a tradeoff - the TC provides a lot more space and amenities with more height and the rocking and rolling issues, while the van is stabler but doesn't have the necessary amenities for my partner (and some that I want) (we are tent camping) and no 4WD.

Cortttt
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
I go off-road frequently, but I canโ€™t do any serious four-wheeling with my camper. I avoid deep gullies and steep banks because of the rear overhang, but I have scraped the rear jacks a couple times when I misjudged. Not hard enough to damage anything. Itโ€™s usually trees Iโ€™m avoiding in the places I go.

As long as thereโ€™s enough clearance width and height wise and the weatherโ€™s decent, I donโ€™t mind driving roads like this. It looks steep, but fairly smooth. At least right here :W

c.traveler2 wrote:

Itโ€™s when the road gets like this that I tend to not want to continue if it goes on very long. The grade isnโ€™t the problem. Because of how top heavy I am, those big rocks poking out of the ground can make for a bouncy, rocking and rolling, miserable experience if you have to drive over many of them. Even if thereโ€™s no grade, the bouncing can get to be too much for me. Iโ€™ve been on a few that were bad enough to unload some of our cabinets unexpectedly, even though they have locking latches. That can be a mess.

c.traveler2 wrote:

:):)

Thanks. It sounds like you're doing about what I would be doing. That steep, rocky road looks like something I would probably stay away from. Over time I've become more conservative. Sometimes there's no resisting a challenge, though. ๐Ÿ™‚

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Cortttt wrote:
c.traveler2 wrote:
Cortttt wrote:
I have no experience at all with truck campers - am about to get one. I go "off-road" a lot by which I mean Forest Service/BLM roads. I've been looking at Northern Lite 8'11" and 9'6" models. The 8'11" requires a short bed and has a big overhang on the back while the 9'6" requires a long bed.

Trying to figure out which would be better "off-road"? An overhang that might scrape or a longer wheelbase with a shorter breakover angle and a larger turning radius?

I also wonder if having a long bed would have any effect on tippiness off road?

How "off road" are you wanting to go is the real question. Approach and departure angle of your rig will be of more importance than weight of your rig, the greater the angle the more off the beaten path one can take. If you choose a standard dually you'll find many of the dirt road will be too narrow for that type of truck.

In the Truck Camper Trip Report you'll many of us have go off the beaten path and pushed our rigs to the limits. Take a look at reports by jefe4x4, Whazzo and myself {c.traveler2}. These reports will give you a better insight on some of the rigs used and how "off road" you really want to go.
I do have many videos with other member of this forum you can check out.

Thanks! Have you lifted your vehicles much? And what kind of impact did that have on tippiness? Tippiness is the factor I know nothing about.

jefe4x4 rig (2020 Ram 3/4T) has a 4' lift (his son now owns it) along with 22" wide rear tire at the time. jefe4x4 has a report on his rig in the TCTR. His heigh at the roof was about ten feet.

MY 2007 F250/ long bed, is stock height but yet jefe4x4 rig and mine are of the same height. The height of my rig with my former Lance 815 was also about 10 feet.
The two photos are of us on the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands, Utah
This trail pushes the limits of a hard side camper, you'll have to watch outcropping as well as tree limbs.

The photo below shows how off-camber I when this is on the WRT coming out of the Upheaval Wash. I was really pushing it!

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I go off-road frequently, but I canโ€™t do any serious four-wheeling with my camper. I avoid deep gullies and steep banks because of the rear overhang, but I have scraped the rear jacks a couple times when I misjudged. Not hard enough to damage anything. Itโ€™s usually trees Iโ€™m avoiding in the places I go.

As long as thereโ€™s enough clearance width and height wise and the weatherโ€™s decent, I donโ€™t mind driving roads like this. It looks steep, but fairly smooth. At least right here :W

c.traveler2 wrote:

Itโ€™s when the road gets like this that I tend to not want to continue if it goes on very long. The grade isnโ€™t the problem. Because of how top heavy I am, those big rocks poking out of the ground can make for a bouncy, rocking and rolling, miserable experience if you have to drive over many of them. Even if thereโ€™s no grade, the bouncing can get to be too much for me. Iโ€™ve been on a few that were bad enough to unload some of our cabinets unexpectedly, even though they have locking latches. That can be a mess.

c.traveler2 wrote:

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Cortttt
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
The question is if you will have more problems dragging the rear or getting high centered. That depends on the type of trais you are doing. I have the long bed and think the 18" longer wheel base is with the compromise. I have always had more close calls with dragging the rear of my 8' 6" camper than being high centered.

Thanks for your experience. I've never had to worry about dragging my rear end before....

Cortttt
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
I have the BF 1500 jimh425 spoke of, and find it to be a nice compromise. A long bed super cab replaced the short bed crew cab, and gave us a tad more interior room with the same wheelbase. The new camper has a nice short overhang (ordered without the bumper/deck). Our last venture from the pavement took us on the Wolverine Trail and Burr Trail switchbacks in Utah. Not a five by any means. I don't believe a dually will fit the ruts of a two rut road very well. Uneven washouts that will tip the rig are where I look for another route.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard good things about Bigfoot! I will put them into my search box. Interesting idea to change out the supercab for crew cab and keep the long wheel base - I like it!

Cortttt
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
Corttt, checkout a Northstar pop up camper. It has a wet bath, cassette toilet and AC. Well built campers designed to go on SRW trucks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've heard good things about Northstar and I really like the idea of a cassette toilet.