farmingdad
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any problems with their 600 Cummins
5 REPLIES 5

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
My rig has the ISX 525 Cummings engine which I bought before learning of the intake valve issue. My take on this is the higher the horsepower the sooner the acid from the EGR eats the face of the intake valves with number 6 being the first to go. Why #6 is firstโ€ฆ maybe because itโ€™s lower (engine is not mounted level) and the acid settles there (engine off). OTR trucks rarely have this problem as they do not sit unused for months at a time. This is my educated guess of whatโ€™s going on.
The fix appears to be new intake valves made out of better metal that resist the acid. $25,000 if you put the โ€œnew and improvedโ€ head on before it trashes the turbo and possibly the pistons.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
farmingdad wrote:
Does anyone have any problems with their 600 Cummins

Depends on the year. The newer 602s appear to be okay, some of the earlier models (mostly 650s) had serious issues as noted above.
2014 American Eagle

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
There is a thread on another site that will knock your socks off about the 600-650 hp Cummins engine. There is a design flaw in the #6 valve/head that Cummins is NOT covering as it takes a little while to develop (out of warranty).

One guy had to have his rebuilt twice. It's an expensive repair, about $30,000. These guys are trying to get the government to force a recall. Cummins has NOT stepped up to the plate which is very disappointing.

The problem with RV's is that they are not run as much as a 'over-the-road-truck' which is part of the problem. Other engine manufactures don't seem to be having this issue.

I'm not a gear-head so I can't really explain it but I would be hesitant to buy the large HP Cummins from what I read.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
110,000 miles, no problems yet. 2006 EGR engine.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
A while back, an acquaintance bought a brand new, 45' luxury DP with a 600 cummins engine. In less than a month, the engine blew! Had to tow the DP back to the factory, totally disassemble the house so they could lift the engine up from the chassis rails. Quite a mess. Fortunately, Cummins covered the whole deal.

Mostly, Cummins is a very reliable product, if properly maintained.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog