cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New class B

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
New from Italy . U.S. ordering to begin in Jan 2022. Network of dealerships in the making. It will be interesting to see how this pans out with rising gas prices. Its all fiberglass.

https://www.wingamm.com/us/camper-rv/oasi-540-2/
28 REPLIES 28

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
A buddy of mine is having one of these built on the Ram chassis. https://wanderfulwheels.com/.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:
I'm confused what Dodge/RAM truck has a front wheel drive train? Not the pickup trucks. Is it juar a relabeling of the Fiat drive train like MB Sprinters being relabeled as Dodges for awhile?

The Promaster which is pretty much the most popular RV platform in the US right now... has front wheel drive. In Europe it is the Fiat Ducato. When MB bailed out of Dodge/Chrysler and sold it to Fiat, the Ram van division adopted the Ducato. Took the front wheel drive and inserted the Ram truck engine and drive train.

I've had two of them and love the way they drive.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely a Class C.

I'm confused what Dodge/RAM truck has a front wheel drive train? Not the pickup trucks. Is it juar a relabeling of the Fiat drive train like MB Sprinters being relabeled as Dodges for awhile?

Anyway, looks interesting but nothing about tank capacities, batteries, AC, etc.

It has the European penchant despite its short size to have those godawful upright side by side, shoulder to shoulder seats for passenger traveling for four when it doesn't adequately sleep four. Those passenger seats eat up a lot of valuable space in a short RV and they seem to be in most all European designs.

I don't see enough storage space for four people to travel any appreciable length of time. Maybe a weekender. Americans expect to travel long distances from Minnesota to Florida or New York to California routinely. Do Europeans travel from Poland to Spain routinely or do they mostly stay in country most of thee time? I know they are more adventurous than Americans evidenced by how many come over to North America with their vans. Do they accept more spartan accommodations?

It is a very clever design for under 18 feet. Too bad that skylight is not available other than for the bed occupants.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I wonder if it is built like a C or like a B where the work has to be done inside the van body. $145k is a lot for that size MH. I don't know why someone has not made a one piece or two piece shell and just add the shell after the interior is finished. They should be able to get the price down to $100k like a small C.

It's definitely a Class C with the formed body. I believe that it is a one piece shell. I read that in one of the articles though accuracy may not be high in these intro articles.
Mumkin
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder if it is built like a C or like a B where the work has to be done inside the van body. $145k is a lot for that size MH. I don't know why someone has not made a one piece or two piece shell and just add the shell after the interior is finished. They should be able to get the price down to $100k like a small C.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
It does have AC. Roof mounted. But it blows directly on you when sleeping in the overhead. You might be able to close that one side letting it blow towards the rear.

I would rather see a 12v fridge too. There is only one lithium under the pass seat, i would prefer two. The small roof area would be tight for solar of decent size.

Its limited, only time will tell. Might be short lived.

Interesting info on the American version.

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Google 'Wingamm Oasi 540 price'

https://www.businessinsider.com/popular-european-camper-van-rv-coming-to-the-us-2021-7

That article may have answered my question in that it said that the first year or two will be built in Italy. So it will be on the European platform. Once they switch to Promaster, they will need to re-work it to the US sizes since we don't have a 17'9" with 118 wb.

I also noted that it has a 3 system fridge. Ugh!! That added to a cassette toilet and no AC is going to limit its sales I expect. They brag about their long waiting list, but those are all people who haven't actually seen it yet. lol

I still wonder what adjustments they have to make to the van to get it approved in the US.
Mumkin
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google 'Wingamm Oasi 540 price'

the following came up:
European RV and camper van maker Wingamm is bringing one of its popular compact models to the US. The Oasi 540 camper van's price will range between $135,000 to $145,000 upon its official US debut in 2022.Jul 18, 2021

An Italian luxury RV maker is launching a camper van to the US

https://www.businessinsider.com/popular-european-camper-van-rv-coming-to-the-us-2021-7

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobndot wrote:
mumkin wrote:
bobndot wrote:
I was told by a rep that certain car dealerships will be used to sell these rvs in the USA .
Orders will be taken in January with delivery expected sometime around May or June.

Not a good idea, IMO. It has been tried now and again in the past without much success and ended as quickly as it appeared. RV salesman are often useless in explaining and selling RVs, can't imagine how badly car salesman will do. It actually appears that they are making many of the same mistakes that Hymer did trying to break into the US market. (before they bought Roadtrek to get its dealership chain)

If you encounter this rep again, try to find out how this is being done as far as platform. Full build overseas on the Ducato or put on a Ram Promaster over here.

The apparent lack of an AC will likely kill it in the US market.

Ditto All you said plus the $145k price on the baby model. 😉
Its a limited rv for sure.
Bob, where did you see the price tag? I could not find it.

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
That is the prototype 540 model that's here now showing in malls , NY and California. It's probably the one from the photo and video shoots.

I would assume that rather than a prototype, it is basically what they are selling in Europe. Still doesn't answer whether it is legal to import into the US without changes to comply with US laws.
Mumkin
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
mumkin wrote:
bobndot wrote:
It’s a Fiat Ducato as per the emblems and wheel insignia.

Photos are all of the European versions. One wonders if this can be direct imported and comply with US laws. I suspect not...

That is the prototype 540 model that's here now showing in malls , NY and California. It's probably the one from the photo and video shoots.

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
It’s a Fiat Ducato as per the emblems and wheel insignia.

Photos are all of the European versions. One wonders if this can be direct imported and comply with US laws. I suspect not...
Mumkin
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
It’s a Fiat Ducato as per the emblems and wheel insignia. It also has A/C. A Dometic single roof unit. It will freeze you out bc its located at the foot of the overhead double 54” bed. Small 3 or 4 cu ft 12v fridge. Looks like a 9’ crank out awning. Rear camera. Unknown holding or gray capacity as of now.

FW 30 gals
Grey 23 gals.
Spare tire housed underneath
Bath has a vented ceiling fan

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
mumkin wrote:
bobndot wrote:
I was told by a rep that certain car dealerships will be used to sell these rvs in the USA .
Orders will be taken in January with delivery expected sometime around May or June.

Not a good idea, IMO. It has been tried now and again in the past without much success and ended as quickly as it appeared. RV salesman are often useless in explaining and selling RVs, can't imagine how badly car salesman will do. It actually appears that they are making many of the same mistakes that Hymer did trying to break into the US market. (before they bought Roadtrek to get its dealership chain)

If you encounter this rep again, try to find out how this is being done as far as platform. Full build overseas on the Ducato or put on a Ram Promaster over here.

The apparent lack of an AC will likely kill it in the US market.

Ditto All you said plus the $145k price on the baby model. 😉
Its a limited rv for sure.