cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

genny conundrum

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
Like most 5'ers, my Arctic Fox has a factory genny compartment underneath the front overhang. For a variety of reasons, I don't want a permanently installed generator.

I'm waffling between a single Honda EU3000is or two EU2200's or their Yamaha equivalents. I know many people swear by other brands but I've owned several motorcycles and respect the design and reliability of both manufacturers enough to pay the premium for their product.

If I go with the heavier 3000 generators, has anyone come up with a good solution for getting them out of the front bay and into service a slight distance from the trailer? Something like a small ramp or something? I had even thought of carrying the genny in the truck bed but that's a tall lift with a 74 y/o back and a ~140# weight.

The dual EU2200's are only (?) about 50# a piece so I could like manage that.

Your thoughts and Real World experiences are welcome.
35 REPLIES 35

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
one or two 2200-2500 generators. One, sipping fuel to charge battery bank, possibly run one AC. Two will easily run one AC or microwave.

Smaller gens are much easier to move around and sip fuel.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Obie,

I'd use #10 or as a minimum #12.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
obie311 wrote:
Can you supply the specs for the connectors and the cable you used? Did you use welding cable for flexibility?
Standard 14 or 16 gauge hardware store extension cords cut to length. 30a socket, mounting box. Connect hots to hots, neutral to neutral. You don't need welding cable for 120v.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Are you sure?

I made my own parallel cables to connect 3 different wattage generators. But then I like to live on the edge, and I hate paying $250 for something that's 2/3 of what I need, and I can do myself for about $30.

I'm pretty good making my own cables. Can you supply the specs for the connectors and the cable you used? Did you use welding cable for flexibility?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Thanks. I use load support on the hybrid inverter which allows me to do air and microwave at the same time.
Cool. I also wanted the cute, light little 1000 to run my 850w charger, but alas, it won't do it. Very disappointing for a Honda.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman,

Thanks. I use load support on the hybrid inverter which allows me to do air and microwave at the same time.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
What is the main use for the 1000 watt genny?
It provides just enough extra power to run the air and MW at the same time.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman,

What is the main use for the 1000 watt genny?
Regards, Don

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Are you sure?
Let's put it this way, I would do it with my stuff. Your stuff is your own decision. Perhaps a call to Honda or a youtube search might reveal something.

I made my own parallel cables to connect 3 different wattage generators. But then I like to live on the edge, and I hate paying $250 for something that's 2/3 of what I need, and I can do myself for about $30.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I would be willing to bet a 30 pack of Busch Light that they would work just fine.
I would at least try it. Nothing's going to blow up.

Are you sure?
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I would be willing to bet a 30 pack of Busch Light that they would work just fine.
I would at least try it. Nothing's going to blow up.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
ReneeG wrote:
Snip...
We googled the serial number on our eu2000 and it's not compatible with any of the eu2200's.

According to Honda, my 2 EU2000Is shouldn't work together, and they work just fine paralleled.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
our model of eu2000 is not compatible with an eu2200 so we'd have to buy two eu2200 and parallel along with the extended fuel tank.
I don't know of your particular situation, but I've paralleled a 2000 with a 2200, and am now running 2-2200s with one 1000. So far it all works.

We googled the serial number on our eu2000 and it's not compatible with any of the eu2200's.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
our model of eu2000 is not compatible with an eu2200 so we'd have to buy two eu2200 and parallel along with the extended fuel tank.
I don't know of your particular situation, but I've paralleled a 2000 with a 2200, and am now running 2-2200s with one 1000. So far it all works.