cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard Cell Modem

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm an OTR customer and wanted to add a 2nd sim chip into my new 5th wheel. They highly recommended T-Mobile sim chip as they had zero problems with TM and winegard units.

So far, not so good, and every suggestion OTR had, has not worked. I requested 2nd level support, but not hopeful. I'm getting error messages that service is being rejected.

I could take my AT&T sim card out of my other device and see if that would work, but that's kind of last step.

It shouldn't be this hard ๐Ÿ˜ž
5 REPLIES 5

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
SunriseCamp wrote:
A couple of things need to happen - make sure that your provider (OTR) can support the Winegard by asking them to verify that the Winegard's IMEI number will work on their network. Second, the Winegard is considered a "Hot Spot" by the cell carriers, so make sure you have a Hotspot Cell Plan that is tied to your SIM card.

I thought I had read that T-Mobile supported Winegard. I don't know OTR, but if they run on the T-Mobile network, you can't assume that the SIM you got from OTR will work.

You cant assume that a SIM card that worked in another device will work on the Winegard.

I walked away from OTR. Have AT&T cards in both the winegard in the 5th wheel and in the nighthawk in the home.

SunriseCamp
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of things need to happen - make sure that your provider (OTR) can support the Winegard by asking them to verify that the Winegard's IMEI number will work on their network. Second, the Winegard is considered a "Hot Spot" by the cell carriers, so make sure you have a Hotspot Cell Plan that is tied to your SIM card.

I thought I had read that T-Mobile supported Winegard. I don't know OTR, but if they run on the T-Mobile network, you can't assume that the SIM you got from OTR will work.

You cant assume that a SIM card that worked in another device will work on the Winegard.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
JJnLilly wrote:
I give up...OTR?

OTR is a one of several cell based internet resellers. They used to be very affordable and had outstanding customer service. Not so much anymore. Cell companies are beginning to wake up and recognize this is a desired service and providing competition, while freezing out resellers.

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
I give up...OTR?
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 calls to OTR multitude of suggestions, nothing worked. They suggested the problem was with the Winegard unit. Called Winegard, first words out of the support person's mouth, was I using a resellers sim chip. When I answered yes, she said, even if I could get it working, it wouldn't stay working. When I asked why, she said they do not correctly provision the sim card and go directly to the cell company.

Sent wife down to AT&T store (I was working), tech at the store called me to understand what I had done, and developed a plan to get the unit set up. Immediately worked, unlimited data, at almost 1/2 the cost of OTR. I'm going to wander back down to the store and get a sim card for my house internet and drop OTR.