Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer with Kayaks

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
how?

I've seen people mount them vertically on the back of the rig, does that work? Also seen people with some kind of rack on their tow vehicle.

Seems you can only carry maybe 2 on the back and 2 on top of the truck?

Anyone have pictures?
11 REPLIES 11

264SRinPA
Explorer
Explorer
With a good rack on the roof of your truck, you can easily fit 4 kayaks. I've already had a canoe and 4 kayaks on my roof racks with no problems.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Son of Norway wrote:
JRscooby, I have a raised receiver hitch so the rack is about 14" off the ground. The pictures don't show it but my HR really isn't that tall. The tops of the kayaks are about 12' off the ground.

Good to know you are aware. 14 inches that far behind the axles does not sound like a lot of clearance to me, but it works for you.
I just wanted to point out there is a limit to how long of boat can be hauled vertically, in case somebody copied your idea without thought.
I have no dog in the race, as much trouble as I have standing up off the floor, the fun would end with wet.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I can get my single Kayak into my TT by wiggling it through the door. I could probably get two in there if I wanted.

I have done same thing when towing TT and using a truck without roof racks. Have done this on a few occasions. Fit nicely on my front queen size bed. I have both a two piece and one piece sit on top fishing kayaks but only take one on each trip. Last in and first out. Cheers to the brave.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can get my single Kayak into my TT by wiggling it through the door. I could probably get two in there if I wanted.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby, I have a raised receiver hitch so the rack is about 14" off the ground. The pictures don't show it but my HR really isn't that tall. The tops of the kayaks are about 12' off the ground.

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway wrote:
Do you have a receiver on the back of your trailer? I made this with some 2x4's. It uses a Hitch Hauler rack as a base. Holds up to 4 Kayaks.

That works, thanks. I have a hitch on the back of my rig that's actually attached to the frame. I can start with your set up as an idea. Just a matter of measurement and weight.

Thanks!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
We carry 3 kayaks on a ladder rack.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Son of Norway wrote:
Do you have a receiver on the back of your trailer? I made this with some 2x4's. It uses a Hitch Hauler rack as a base. Holds up to 4 Kayaks.

How long are your kayaks? How close to ground do they ride?
That far behind the axles, even if they weighed nothing, it would be easy to drag them on the ground. Then sticking up, it would not take a very long boat to get tangled up with cable and phone lines.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a USA rack on top of my truck camper shell that I carry my fishing kayak on and also other stuff such as traction devices and/or fishing rods. Been doing this for years and works great. I also carried one light weight bicycle on the TT rear bumper and spare tire. I did not reinforce my TT bumper to carry anything heavier such as kayaks and would worry about strength of the rear ladder.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a ladder rack on the truck with 2 J kayak mounts on the outside, and 2 kayaks stacked in the middle. Itโ€™s a bit of a pain to strap them down, but not bad with 2 people. Rack was only $100, and the J mounts another $40. Pretty cheap and easy.

2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO