cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Minor alignment issue... but a long story

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2012 nexus 24' Class C has always had excellent ride and handling. To the best of my knowledge it has only had one alignment and that was back at the factory as the last stop on the Nexus production line was the alignment booth. The original owners had it for 18 months and just 6,205 miles when I found it at La Mesa RV in Tucson.

We have put over 63,000 trouble free miles over the last 8+ years including a 2 month trip from Tucson to Maine and a whole lot of places in-between. During that 7,800 mile trip I am pretty sure we encountered/hit every pothole in the continental US. Some of the worst were found in Washing DC but New England, Michigan and Indiana contributed enough jolts to fracture my bumper mounted spare tire carrier. {A stop at the Nexus factory in Elkhart got me a custom mounted spare carrier securely welded up under the rear of the coach} but I digress...

About a month ago after a short trip I noticed just a tiny bit of wear on the outside edge of my right front tire. I had never had any unusual tire wear in the past typically getting 40K miles out of my Michelin's so this caught my attention. I guessed it to need at bit of toe adjustment and set out to get it done. The local Big O could not work on my coach so I called my indie mechanic. He recommended a buddy of his who ran the alignment and tire shop for Steve Coury Ford here in Payson.

I took it in and he agreed it probably just needed a minor adjustment but I asked him to give it a thorough check/full alignment and once again we agreed the right front should have 4.8 degrees of caster with 4.5 on the left. He found the alignment to be spot on, with nothing worn out and the caster was on spec with it needing only the minor toe adjustment. I have 3 tires that are 4 and 3 that are 2 years old {don 't ask,,, another long story} but they are all in excellent condition and I keep them aired up to support the load they actually carry {which often changes dramatically}. Two of the newer Michelin Agilis' were moved to the front and the rears changed sides as well.

Lastly the metal bars that lock the battery tray in place had rusted/fractured which I discovered in the middle of a trip a few months back. I secured the tray with some heavy duty nylon strapping and had been trying to come up with a permanent solution. When I pulled into his shop and we were going over the rig we found that the interior bars had let go as well and my 2 AGM's were sliding off of the tray at a precipitous angle. :S

"Want me to fix that? he asked and of course I told him to do whatever it took and noted that I did not care what it cost. Here is his solution:

The all thread {both front and back} is double nutted on the outside of the box and can easily be disconnected as needed. {yes, I will be cleaning up the rust with a wire brush and putting down some new black paint in the near future} All in all a pretty good solution and the total repair {parts and labor} came to $149. The full four wheel alignment with everything set to spec was $129.95 and another $50 for the tire rotation {his labor rate is $50 an hour - when is the last time you saw that rate?} The total bill was $344.73. :B

If you are anywhere near Payson and need tires or alignment give Jeff a call at Steve Coury Ford {928 363-4113}.

:C
10 REPLIES 10

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I read somewhere that after cleaning up the rust on the battery tray it can be sprayed with the truck bed coating from Harbor Freight. I actually bought the under coating instead and used it on mine. "

Great idea, thanks. Now I have another excuse to head down to HF.

Ron, I agree a long ride across a strong side wind could generate that sort of wear. Our previous trip was a 2 weeks in southern California which had a fair amount of interstate crossing the desert but I will never know if that was the case. The alignment found a slight toe in correction was needed but everything g else was set to spec... not too bad after 8 years and 63,000+ miles.

:C

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I read somewhere that after cleaning up the rust on the battery tray it can be sprayed with the truck bed coating from Harbor Freight. I actually bought the under coating instead and used it on mine.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Outer and inner tire wear , i agree.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain,

It just came to me, a possible cause for the unexplained edge-wear on one of your front tires. During one of your trips with those tires, if you experienced a strong consistent side wind all day long on the open road, that would create the wear you describe.

I speak from experience with our first motorhome. One trip travelling across the great plains, we experience a consistent side wind all day long that had me turning the steering wheel slightly into the direction of the wind. That trip ruined both front tires with horrible edge wear on the outer edge of the one tire, and the inner edge of the other tire.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 2018 i was quoted $175/hr. in Vt.
My doctor doesnโ€™t charge $175/hr with 13 years of schooling and malpractice to pay for.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't it nice to be taken well care of?

Last September we had a failure on I-90 west of Gillette WY that left us stranded on the roadside. Keeping the story short, a great tow truck driver towed us to a great Ford dealer Thunder Basin Ford in Gillette who fixed up our 2007 E350-V10 with a new fuel pump control module, some relays, some fuses, and charged only for the module. Everything but the module was free including labor for diagnostics and installation.

Who does that in this day and age?

We showed our appreciation with very handsome tips.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thx for sharing. $50/hr has to be your good buddy discount, thatโ€™s awesome!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
It is always good to hear of someone's great experience at a vendor/shop somewhere.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We like to post reviews at RVservicereviews.com and sounds like this is a great shop to have in the memory banks as well. Thanks for the happy tale.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
So great to hear a success story!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.