Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hughes Autoformers PWD30-EPO, 30 Amp

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anyone have thoughts on this unit?
Hughes Autoformers PWD30-EPO, 30 Amp

$145 on Amazon and overall good reviews.

Linky
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf
7 REPLIES 7

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 30amp model, just started using it, I like it, love the info it provides, its quite LARGE, like 8+ inches large, I also taped up 99% of the bulldog face, as the light is very very bright at night.

with the right adapters can be used in the house as a kilowatt meter.

I also have the autoformer, it works great as well.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's an EMS, not an autoformer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I have the 50 amp model, and am very satisfied with it.

Had the 50 amp module.. My rig was wired as follows

Shore power===Hughes==Surge Guard==Auto Transfer Switch.

One park I often parked at (possibly 2) was very nasty low voltage wise.. Never had a low voltage issue (Saw some truly scary voltages at the post though) Hughes fixed 'em.

Do be aware however that volt-amps are volt-amps

If power coming in is 120 volt and you are drawing 25 amps that's 3000 volt amps.

But if the power goes down to 100 volts that means 30 amps needed to hit 3000 VA (Most people think volts * amps = Watts. true in a DC circuit but in AC it's Volts*Amps = Volt Amps VA times Power Factor = Watts.. COnfused me for about 40 years before I figured it out so don't feel bad.. and I have documents saying I know this stuff)

The device the OP mentioned is not a "Autoformer", it is a surge arrestor device which would take the place of the Surge Guard in your "chain" of devices..

So basically the device the OP mentioned does not correct low or high voltage as in a autotransformer. It only clips surges and shuts off power which high voltage spikes.

Still a potentially useful device but once again, does nothing to correct low voltage without shutting off power..

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:

Had the 50 amp module.. My rig was wired as follows

Shore power===Hughes==Surge Guard==Auto Transfer Switch.

One park I often parked at (possibly 2) was very nasty low voltage wise.. Never had a low voltage issue (Saw some truly scary voltages at the post though) Hughes fixed 'em.

Do be aware however that volt-amps are volt-amps

If power coming in is 120 volt and you are drawing 25 amps that's 3000 volt amps.

But if the power goes down to 100 volts that means 30 amps needed to hit 3000 VA (Most people think volts * amps = Watts. true in a DC circuit but in AC it's Volts*Amps = Volt Amps VA times Power Factor = Watts.. COnfused me for about 40 years before I figured it out so don't feel bad.. and I have documents saying I know this stuff)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours is also the 50 amp version and has performed well over the last year, would purchase again without hesitation. Along with realtime data from our rig's EMS, the additional data provided by this device to my smartphone gives us a more complete picture of energy usage, although for the most part I rarely pay much attention to the detailed information.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
You do realize that this is a surge protector and not a full blown autoformer?

I love my autoformer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"