cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I reuse this backup camera.

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
I was excited to notice this backup camera attached to the rear of the used camper we bought. Toward the front, the connector looks intact (a single Red RCA style connector) and zip-tied up under the frame.

I'm wondering if it would be hard to get the hardware to view the camera. I'm also wondering if there is some attachment to let me connect it to my phone, since my truck doesn't have an in-dash screen.

At this point I'm just exploring ideas and am not worried if it doesn't ever work for me.

MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!
9 REPLIES 9

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
thoes are cheep 40.00 cameras that come with a signal matched 4" monitor, or a smaller one that clops over the rear view. not worth your time since you dont have the monitor half.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
No doesn't hurt to have a non working camera there so one can ignore it.

Finding a 12V NTSC monitor shouldn't be all that hard, but finding one that supplies power and is able to reverse image left to right may be a difficult battle.

One thing you can do is if you have a TV with a NTSC composite video input (getting rare now days since most TVs only have digital HDMI inputs) you can plug the video cable into the TV input and see if you get any image.

Depending on how the camera is getting power, there could be a splitter in the wiring and 12V connected from the splitter. In those cases folks pulled power often from the running light circuit under the tail light and you simply just turned on the running lights.

Rear view cameras with monitors are pretty inexpensive now days and most are wireless only.. Some work better than others and wireless ones often are limited distance and subject to radio interference so finding a good quality set can be a uphill battle..

This is the only answer you need - since you don't have an in dash screen - assuming no back up camera on your truck, those reply's don't work for you. You need a screen that takes a standard video input. What is the connection at the end of the line? You need a monitor that has that for an input.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
its a camera like this one scroll down on the amazon page for wiring info about it Vehicle License Plate Backup Camera amazon

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
It may work. You can find cheap little monitors to wire in so you could use it as a rear view camera. However I would want it mounted higher up on the rear wall. That’s what I did on my TT. Installed it up high and ran a connector at the bumper and then to a small monitor next to the rear view mirror.

Personally, I would start from scratch with a kit. It is very nice to be able to see behind the trailer while on the road.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Skibane wrote:
If your tow vehicle is equipped with a backup camera and in-dash monitor, you may be able to splice the camper's camera into your existing monitor.

A lot of factory-equipped backup cameras still use the old NTSC video standard, which makes them compatible with aftermarket cameras like the one on your camper.

Generally Factory equipped or OEM backup camera systems will use non standard and sometimes proprietary connectors which often requires the use of some sort of harness adapter or the old "cut and splice " method.. Sometimes OEMs have made interfacing impossible without additional hardware and software requiring a rather expensive interface box with additional software..

Something else to consider, there are two possible camera setups when it comes to the video you see to be able to see the left side being on the left side of the vehicle instead seeing left side on the right side.

Think of it as a mirror image, the mirror reverses everything, the monitor or the camera must have the capability to undo the image reversal.

Place a standard camera pointing to the rear and you end up seeing a side to side view in reverse (IE left of monitor is actually the right side of vehicle and right side of vehicle ends up on the left side of the monitor)..

Typically the monitor that comes with aftermarket cameras has the capability to flip left to right built in, the built in OEM monitor may or may not have that capability if it was designed for a camera that does the left to right flip.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your tow vehicle is equipped with a backup camera and in-dash monitor, you may be able to splice the camper's camera into your existing monitor.

A lot of factory-equipped backup cameras still use the old NTSC video standard, which makes them compatible with aftermarket cameras like the one on your camper.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
No doesn't hurt to have a non working camera there so one can ignore it.

Finding a 12V NTSC monitor shouldn't be all that hard, but finding one that supplies power and is able to reverse image left to right may be a difficult battle.

One thing you can do is if you have a TV with a NTSC composite video input (getting rare now days since most TVs only have digital HDMI inputs) you can plug the video cable into the TV input and see if you get any image.

Depending on how the camera is getting power, there could be a splitter in the wiring and 12V connected from the splitter. In those cases folks pulled power often from the running light circuit under the tail light and you simply just turned on the running lights.

Rear view cameras with monitors are pretty inexpensive now days and most are wireless only.. Some work better than others and wireless ones often are limited distance and subject to radio interference so finding a good quality set can be a uphill battle..

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing so to Gdetrailer. I may replace it at some point. It's not hurting anything for now.
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most likely a low resolution 480i camera in NTSC Composite video output.

Usable? Perhaps..

Would need a 12V video monitor with Composite NTSC video input and may also need a way to reverse the picture so left is on the left and right is on the right.

Camera also will need 12V to operate plus to power the infrared emitters beside the camera for dark use.

The possibility exists that the missing monitor you do not have may have remotely supplied power via the video cable and if that is so, you have a worthless hard wired camera..

Since I only see one wire going under the tail light, I suspect you have a worthless camera without the matching monitor..