Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Planning summer 2022 trip to Alaska Fly/Rent
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Planning summer 2022 trip to Alaska Fly/Rent

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/21 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good advice so I'll only touch on one point. You had asked about length and if there'd be any limitations going longer. In general, no. Alaska is one of the easiest places you'll find to drive your rig at least from a size perspective. There is lots of room.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johnwalkerpa1 wrote:

Lots of good advice so I'll only touch on one point. You had asked about length and if there'd be any limitations going longer. In general, no. Alaska is one of the easiest places you'll find to drive your rig at least from a size perspective. There is lots of room.

Would agree / confirm the above...with a couple of caveats

- everything depends of course, but if the intent is to stay in an RV park IN Los Anchorage or Squarebanks, size could limit things....but not really likely with a rented Class C.
- Similarly size would impact some of the State CG's and the like.
- Size doesn't prohibit travel through or eliminate parking in, again, Los Anchorage or Squarebanks, but if the rented MH is your only vehicle, you may find that you need to park at spot one and walk a ways if you want to do much downtown visiting....but heck, I'd rather park the F250 a few blocks away anyway than fight for limited parking in the heart of either Anchorage or Fairbanks.
- For the likely smaller spots to visit (Talkeetna, Girdwood, Hope, Seward, Homer,....Kenai / Soldotna not so much) the "park here ....walk to see the sights" paradigm swings between extremes w/o much middle ground, in my experience. Either you'll be able to park very close to things that you want to visit / see or you'll need to go to "the parking area" and walk from there.

It's been mentioned previously, but check and double check the "attractions / tours" that you would like to go on. Strictly anecdotally, but the tourist activities for next year seem to be all over the map: I have one tour guide client who is already overbooked for 2022, while another flight service client is taking deposits but won't decide until February if he'll open up for 2022. Still interesting times.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Planning summer 2022 trip to Alaska Fly/Rent
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.