cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Immigration crack down

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I have been getting a lot of reports of people being stopped on the street and being asked for thir passport, FMM or resident card. A few cases of people being held for up to 3 days if they dont have it woith them. I have also heard pèople are being denied a 180 day FMM unless they cna show reservations for that period) Not any RV´s yet just fly ins). The US State department has issued a notice about the first problem.

I am wondering if this may have something to do with all the refugees trying to enter the US, and US pressure on Mexico.
44 REPLIES 44

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
For me, this is reason enough. Promoting illegal plates via a stay of temporary protection, and selling these plates that were originally for poor farmers to bring a pickup for work purposes. Instead, they are selling the plates to anyone including foreigners who own luxury cars.

In many cases, to cross the border into Mexico, a fee of $450 USD goes to the cartels who manage different border crossings. In the states of Guanajuato, SLP, Tamaulipas, Coahuila, and more it is becoming more common. They have found a way to avoid paying for legal importation, legal plates, and tags. To see gringos with Mercedes who buy into this is truly disgusting. Why would you do something illegal that you wouldn't even consider doing in your own country if it were possible?

"Organizations like the Union Campesina Deomcratica (UCD) issue invalid" plates", identifying their members before the authorities, but the only plates that are valid are those issued by federal entities and then accredit the legal stay in the country through a permanent import permit (pedimento) or an invoice issued by a vehicle agency "

"Organizaciones como la Union Campesina Deomcratica (UCD) expiden "placas" no validas, de identificacion de sus agremiados ante las autoridades, per las unicas placas que tienen valicez son las emitidas por las entidades federativeas y para ello tienen que acreditar la legal estancia en el pais a traves de un pedimento de importacion o una factura emitida por una agencia vehicular"
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Personal experience and let's leave it at that.

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
playaboy wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
moisheh wrote:
Big C. Although Sonia has a lot of knowledge about Mexico I lost all faith in her when she was processing vehicle imports not according to the rules. She certainly is proud of herself. It is on her best interest to scare people into getting a permanent or temporary visa.

Expats in SMA flock to her. Not sure why when all the immigration paperwork can be done on your own. So many fearful people who don't want to learn the language. Everything is online and in English or can easily be translated. What they charge is outrageous.

And I agree, the vehicle import process, well I've said enough.

Be very careful of Sonia and her husband John. Better yet, stay away from them.
Why would you say that? Personal experience? Rumors? What?
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
moisheh wrote:
Big C. Although Sonia has a lot of knowledge about Mexico I lost all faith in her when she was processing vehicle imports not according to the rules. She certainly is proud of herself. It is on her best interest to scare people into getting a permanent or temporary visa.

Expats in SMA flock to her. Not sure why when all the immigration paperwork can be done on your own. So many fearful people who don't want to learn the language. Everything is online and in English or can easily be translated. What they charge is outrageous.

Be very careful of Sonia and her husband John. Better yet, stay away from them.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
2112 wrote:
2112 wrote:
They have Tim Hortons in Mexico? Texas needs a Timmie's
I never thought it would happen, Tim Horton is coming to Texas this summer. I'm starting my diet now to make room

There are almost 50 Tim Horton's in the Monterrey metro area.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
They have Tim Hortons in Mexico? Texas needs a Timmie's
I never thought it would happen, Tim Horton is coming to Texas this summer. I'm starting my diet now to make room
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Big_C
Explorer
Explorer
There is a major crackdown happening in Mexico, it is going to get worse in the next few years. From what I now understand is that there is no longer a guarantee of getting a 180 day FFM. I saw this on someones blog and it refers to this link on FB for information. https://www.facebook.com/www.soniadiaz.mx/posts/1754121428109912
the 5C's
Big C & Mamma C
2 little c's (weiner dogs)
2001,39' RoseAir (Rexhall) DP with 2 slides
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
contessajewall,com

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
It is not a question of having a good time that can be had anywere, it is a question of the drug pushers in Acapulco, Cancun, the Rivera Maya, Huatulco , Los Cabos, Mazatlan, ETC,ETC.

These joung ladies need to understand that mixed open drinks are easy target for the ruffy croud (date **** drugs) and the best thing to do is order beers un-opened, give each lady a small bottle opener and have them refuse any beer bottle that comes to the table opened and any bottle left open at the tabe unatended should be considered compromised and do not drink it and above all do not drink anything that is offered in an open glass or bottle by a stranger.

Am I to extreeme, yes I worked with and for a police department and I have seen the devastation that drugs do to the individual that uses, the immediate family, the community in general.

I consider schedgule 1 and 2 drugs weapons of mass destruction.

My friends at the FBI, DEA and Police Officers all agree with me.

Be carefull and above everything be safe, a good time can be had.

navegator

Navegator, I agree 110%. Roofies are still prevalent in the area. The young ladies just have to be smart and cautious with their drinks.

Other than that they should have a blast

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
It is not a question of having a good time that can be had anywere, it is a question of the drug pushers in Acapulco, Cancun, the Rivera Maya, Huatulco , Los Cabos, Mazatlan, ETC,ETC.

These joung ladies need to understand that mixed open drinks are easy target for the ruffy croud (date **** drugs) and the best thing to do is order beers un-opened, give each lady a small bottle opener and have them refuse any beer bottle that comes to the table opened and any bottle left open at the tabe unatended should be considered compromised and do not drink it and above all do not drink anything that is offered in an open glass or bottle by a stranger.

Am I to extreeme, yes I worked with and for a police department and I have seen the devastation that drugs do to the individual that uses, the immediate family, the community in general.

I consider schedgule 1 and 2 drugs weapons of mass destruction.

My friends at the FBI, DEA and Police Officers all agree with me.

Be carefull and above everything be safe, a good time can be had.

navegator

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
charlestonsouthern wrote:
OK, Playaboy, from what I hear on this forum, you do things like the following: first picture this -- four girls about age 20-21 who have just finished their mid-term exams at the University of NC at Chapel Hill and are chomping at the bit to have some fun in Cancun. But grandma has been elected to chaperon them by their parents. This is their winter break from college in January. I want them to have a good time, but not T-O-O good a time, while keeping most of their clothes on. Do you know someone who could arrange, lead, and provide that type of entertainment and transportation. Everyone pray for me while I'm on this trip with such high energy young ladies!!

First off relax. 99.9% of the people partying in Cancun have a great time. Just prepare for the .01 and you will be OK.

This has nothing to do with immigration. Send me a PM to continue

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
OK, Playaboy, from what I hear on this forum, you do things like the following: first picture this -- four girls about age 20-21 who have just finished their mid-term exams at the University of NC at Chapel Hill and are chomping at the bit to have some fun in Cancun. But grandma has been elected to chaperon them by their parents. This is their winter break from college in January. I want them to have a good time, but not T-O-O good a time, while keeping most of their clothes on. Do you know someone who could arrange, lead, and provide that type of entertainment and transportation. Everyone pray for me while I'm on this trip with such high energy young ladies!!

Talleyho69
We did a major construction project at our house last year. Three massive terraces, a lap pool, serious stuff that took 8 months.

Our main guy was retired from the city where he drove an ambulance for 35 years.

We had to get two "permits." One because they had to have a backhoe come in and stay in the back for several days, that cost 2,000 pesos as long as all construction materials stayed in the garage or behind the house. The second cost 3,000 pesos because we had to have the Putzmeister (cement pumper) come in and pour the pool. The mayor owns Putzie and the three cement trucks that supplied the material for the pool.

We were happy it was so easy, but would have been kind of willing to spend several months getting permits, maybe. ESPECIALLY if we had know up front that permits were going to be less than "legal."