Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can't user 5er again this winter - replace red goo in pipes?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can't user 5er again this winter - replace red goo in pipes?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

We seem to go through this discussion every year.

Antifreeze is not used to protect the plumbing. It is used to flush out the water, the only liquid that expands when frozen.

Lets put the urban myth about water being the only liquid that expands when frozen. Amongst the elements the following are a few that are less dense as solids than liquids. (e.g. expand when solidifying)

gallium, silicon, germanium, bismuth, plutonium.

another very very very common compound that relies on the solid being less dense than the liquid is type metal used in printing. That way there are no voids in the type when it is solidified. (an alloy of antimony and tin)

another compound that is less dense as a solid is acetic acid.

While the vast majority of materials are more dense as solid vs. liquid there are many exceptions, water being probably the most common.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once again Fizz bows out and fades away.
After 20 yrs he should know better than try to answer a simple question and leave it to the experts.

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

Once the water's gone, it doesn't matter anymore.
Isn't there a lot of water in the antifreeze?

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

TurnThePage wrote:

Once the water's gone, it doesn't matter anymore.
Isn't there a lot of water in the antifreeze?

pure antifreeze is either ethelyne glycol or propalyne glycol. RV is propalyne glycol based (safe for consumption, used in many food items). in pure form no water, and while the freezing point of ethalyne glycol is high (around 10F) it contracts when frozen s no pipe issue, while propalyne glycol has a freezing point around -70F.

Now lots of the RV antifreeze says it turns "slushy" somewhat below 0F or so therefore I suspect it is around 25% propalyne glycol from freezing charts I've seen.

Now some does contain alcohol.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Strangely the freezing point of ethylene glycol drops dramatically when water is added to it.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

Strangely the freezing point of ethylene glycol drops dramatically when water is added to it.

sort of. the freezing point of the combination drops until you get to about 70/30 antifreeze/water. then the freezing point begins to rise again. Luckily the turnover freezing temp is around -70F,

pure ethalyne glycol freezes at about 10F.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

Fizz wrote:

Antifreeze is not used to protect the plumbing. It is used to flush out the water, the only liquid that expands when frozen.

Lets put the urban myth about water being the only liquid that expands when frozen. Amongst the elements the following are a few that are less dense as solids than liquids. (e.g. expand when solidifying)

another very very very common compound that relies on the solid being less dense than the liquid is type metal used in printing. That way there are no voids in the type when it is solidified. (an alloy of antimony and tin)

While the vast majority of materials are more dense as solid vs. liquid there are many exceptions, water being probably the most common.

While you are technically correct, none of those substances are/will be in any RV plumbing. Ever. Most of them are solids at any temperature that is conducive to life. Other than being pedantic, your post is completely immaterial to the subject at hand.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/21 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the blow the lines out suggestion. in fact that's how I wintereized after the first winter and playing 7734 getting all the pink **** out of the system.

I figured if the air ever freezes... I won't be worried about the RV.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/21 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

Fizz wrote:

While you are technically correct, none of those substances are/will be in any RV plumbing. Ever. Most of them are solids at any temperature that is conducive to life. Other than being pedantic, your post is completely immaterial to the subject at hand.
Nothing wrong with rebutting a blatantly wrong statement.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

OP here:

My lines are PEX.

I'm aware that I should put some more in the P-traps etc.

I just don't know if the alcohol can get through PEX somehow.

You have already removed the water from the system. Water is what freezes. You have absolutely no reason to do anything else to the system. There is NOTHING in it to freeze.
lock the doors and forget about it. It is as safe now as it was last winter. Don't make this harder than it has to be.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can't user 5er again this winter - replace red goo in pipes?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.