cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pick up Eagle Cap 1165

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and i picked up a 2014 1165 Eagle Cap in Colorado. We left Brookings Oregon Monday picked it up Wednesday. Started back home Thursday we went thur six states, snow, hail, rain and 40 mph plus winds in Wyoming and arrive home Sunday afternoon. We had no problems with the truck drove fine got about 12 miles to the gallon. The camper was a drifferent story but when you buy used there a few things the seller forgot to tell us??? But nothing i can't fix; we love the camper floor plan and the camper it self. We are down sizing from a 38' fifth wheel. So I have a 2012 Ford F-350 Diesel dually 2wd camper package. We have had big campers before Okanagan 117ut and Host dual slide so the truck has air bags, overload spring bump stops, torklift lowers and Heilway sway bar and Rancho shocks. Firestone Transforce A/T tires rated at 2910 per tire at 80 psi. Like I said the truck handle and perform great with this camper, in fact my wife asked if i had loaded the camper yet as she was sitting in the cab cause she didn't feel the truck go down. On our way home I stop at Love's truck stop to get fuel and thought what the heck I put it on the scales; I knew that i was going to be over by 500 to 900 but wow not what i found! Heres the numbers GVW 14840 Rear Axle 10,200 Front Axle 5,200. Like I said the truck handle great thur six states and yes with 40 mph we got pushed around but not at the point I thought we need to stop and wait it out. So I know some of you are running this type up 1 ton set up, my question is about amount over you are running at??? The specs on the truck are Gvw 13380 with out tail gate, Cargo 5168 Rear Axle 9,000 Front Axle 5,250. When I did the math before we got the camper Cargo was 5168 Wet on the camper was 5196 still when I weighted it i am over 1460 over Gvw. The Truck and Camper are paid for free and clear. Sorry for the long post Any thoughts other than getting another Truck, those that are running this set up are you this much over weight?? Thanks again sorry the long post
11 REPLIES 11

EricCO
Explorer
Explorer
mpoulsen wrote:
So we did have food,40 gals of water,BBQ, one 30lb propane tank full and does have a gen set, solar panel, Sat dish on it. I am 10,200 on the rear axle at the scale I stopped at. The tires are rated at 2910 each in the rear that should put me on the tires at 11,640. The camper we found out has a propane leak some where in the tank area, i think it might be the switch valve/regulator, I am going to soap test as soon the rain stops,the bathroom vent doesn't close all the way and small little things. Yes it was the one in Evergreen

Congrats! Those sound like things that can be there even on a new camper. Awesome rig!
2002 Ford F-350 CC LB PSD 2007 Travel Lite 960rx Ultra 2018 Keystone Cougar 29BHS

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer
So we did have food,40 gals of water,BBQ, one 30lb propane tank full and does have a gen set, solar panel, Sat dish on it. I am 10,200 on the rear axle at the scale I stopped at. The tires are rated at 2910 each in the rear that should put me on the tires at 11,640. The camper we found out has a propane leak some where in the tank area, i think it might be the switch valve/regulator, I am going to soap test as soon the rain stops,the bathroom vent doesn't close all the way and small little things. Yes it was the one in Evergreen

EricCO
Explorer
Explorer
I think we saw that camper online - from Evergreen, CO?

What is wrong with the camper?
2002 Ford F-350 CC LB PSD 2007 Travel Lite 960rx Ultra 2018 Keystone Cougar 29BHS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
If you are 1460 over GVW, you are likely > 2000 lb over on rear axle.
Go back to the scale and check what exactly it is.
GVW is taxable number, but RAWR is real number and that is the 1 you need to observe.

The OP wrote "I knew that i was going to be over by 500 to 900 but wow not what i found! Heres the numbers GVW 14840 Rear Axle 10,200 Front Axle 5,200."

Is that not exact enough?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
If the truck handled it just fine what are you worried about?

Maybe the "rivets and hardware" aren't up to snuff, as you put it in the last thread. (Honestly closer to the truth in this scenario than the F250 example in the other thread).

That said, that camper (and noone knows what gear the OP had/has in the truck/camper) is a big piggy. Seems like that camper is around 6500lbs possibly a bit more as she sits right now. Hopefully that is with some gear and full water etc, if not, yes, that camper will exceed even that dually truck's rating by a bunch.
Is it prohibitive? That's the very subjective part. Different category IMO than putting some mods on a 3/4 ton which is largely under-rated coming off the assembly line, vs a dually, which by most accounts is not largely under-rated.
But OP liked how it handled, and that's what matters.
Being the Eagle Cap factory is right here in central WA, there are alot of those campers on the road and I see plenty of the big 11' + models rolling down I-90 on 1 ton duallies. Just leave the rock collections as they lay and don't go bananas with loading it up with unneeded weight IMO.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you just went to pick it up and drive home, I would not be surprised to find that the usual GVW is going to be another 1000 pounds over what you weighed. Did your weight include solar panels/generator? Tools, cleaning supplies, food for a couple of weeks, clothing, cosmetics, lawn chairs, screen house, BBQ grill, pots/pans/plates/glasses/flatware, extra bedding and towels, laptops/cameras/hobby gear, leveling blocks, extension cords, compressor, etc???

Bedlam
The rear axle is rated for 11k lbs by Dana. You are close to its limits and will be over if that camper is empty regardless of additional suspension or wheel upgrades. The Eagle Cap campers are heavier and wider than the Host and Okanogan you you owned in the past. Many of the people are reporting 6500-7000 lb 1165's once filled and loaded.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If the truck handled it just fine what are you worried about?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are 1460 over GVW, you are likely > 2000 lb over on rear axle.
Go back to the scale and check what exactly it is.
GVW is taxable number, but RAWR is real number and that is the 1 you need to observe.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Did you fill it up with gear yet? LOL

- Mark0.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you go for a chassis model, there are no pickups that have enough GVWR or axle ratings from the truck manufacturer. So, if you want to be under those, a chassis is your option. However, since most failures are tires, you might be ok. I donโ€™t know what your rear axle is rated at, but it could be as high as 12K. In that case, you would be ok.

Good luck.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member