Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Suggestions for Printer/Copier/Scanner for RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > Suggestions for Printer/Copier/Scanner for RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
rockylarson

Jersey Shore

Senior Member

Joined: 12/25/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/02/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not new to HP printers in a motorhome. Newest one two months ago introduced me to their new"INSTANT INK PROGRAM" I signed up for the 99cent per month level and got the two full size inks within a week. Only use about 8 pages on the starter set. We are light users and the printer will be in storage for awhile so when we do start to use it there should be plenty of carryover pages.
So far I have received two emails from HP wanting to know where my printer is and when will it be back on line. BTW, if you are a heavy user they gave me 4 months and 700 pages free just to get to know me.


Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.


TurnThePage

North ID

Senior Member

Joined: 10/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/02/21 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm also a laser devotee. Never ever have to worry about ink drying up or spilling. You can go years between print jobs without a worry. I've had the same small Dell branded print/scan/copy/fax device for well over 10 years. Toner cartridges are cheap and last a loooong time.

On a side note, there are great apps for your smart phone that can do the scanning if you don't need photo quality. A small plexiglass sheet to lay over the subject matter makes it look nearly professional.


2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

CA Traveler

The Western States

Senior Member

Joined: 01/03/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/02/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockylarson wrote:

So far I have received two emails from HP wanting to know where my printer is and when will it be back on line. BTW, if you are a heavy user they gave me 4 months and 700 pages free just to get to know me.
Wow, I wasn't aware these ink programs tracked your location and usage.

So you are OK with HP tracking the printer and usage which implies tracking you as well? I would not allow that. I have no problem with carrying spare ink.

I've often said that the money is in the ink and not the printer.


2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob


CA Traveler

The Western States

Senior Member

Joined: 01/03/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/02/21 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

I'm also a laser devotee. Never ever have to worry about ink drying up or spilling. You can go years between print jobs without a worry. I've had the same small Dell branded print/scan/copy/fax device for well over 10 years. Toner cartridges are cheap and last a loooong time.
X2 However, I wanted a small printer for the MH and none of the laser printers were small at that time. Maybe today?

I have a laser printer at home which is far superior to the MH inkjet for warm up, speed and quality.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/02/21 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curt,

In very simple terms, you have to think about your resources and your requirements.

I my home office (at my right elbow as I type) I have an HP scanner and an Oki color laser printer. Both have their places on my network and are very convenient. Both also require more power than I often have had available in the coach. Needles to say, both are large and the printer is heavy, but it does a great job and is fast. Neither was anything like inexpensive.

So, If you always have shore power and lots of room, buy what ever you want. Lasers are real nice.

If you might need it when you are drycamping, look at the inkjet/ scanners that have the print head in the cartridge. These are the lightest and lowest power consumers. You want it this way because a print head will **** out on you at some point. If it is not in the cartridge, then a major clean operation is required. (Do I have to add BTDT??) The one for the coach (that was my office for several years) is also here with me because it comes in for the winter just on GP. When I have needed to run it without shore power, I run it on a tiny 100watt inverter. It is as good as the laser for photo printing.

Matt


Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.


Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 11/02/21 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

rockylarson wrote:

So far I have received two emails from HP wanting to know where my printer is and when will it be back on line. BTW, if you are a heavy user they gave me 4 months and 700 pages free just to get to know me.
Wow, I wasn't aware these ink programs tracked your location and usage.

So you are OK with HP tracking the printer and usage which implies tracking you as well? I would not allow that. I have no problem with carrying spare ink.

I've often said that the money is in the ink and not the printer.


Yes, HP didn't come up with that program for your health and welfare and you still pay for the ink (it isn't cheaper, just more convenient)..

As said by Ralphy in the movie A Christmas Story "A Crummy Commercial".

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 11/02/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

TurnThePage wrote:

I'm also a laser devotee. Never ever have to worry about ink drying up or spilling. You can go years between print jobs without a worry. I've had the same small Dell branded print/scan/copy/fax device for well over 10 years. Toner cartridges are cheap and last a loooong time.
X2 However, I wanted a small printer for the MH and none of the laser printers were small at that time. Maybe today?

I have a laser printer at home which is far superior to the MH inkjet for warm up, speed and quality.


For low printing volume or long periods of storage, hands down for a laser printer, toners do not dry up, freeze, clog, go bad.

If you are needing high res, high quality picture printing, inkjets tend to perform a bit better.

Color lasers do print pictures pretty well but doesn't fully emulate depth that you get from ink or other printing methods.

As far as small footprint laser, HP Laserjet Pro M15W is a very small footprint color laser jet.

OP was asking about a combo "all in one" with scanner, HP did have a "all in one" print/scanner clone of the M15W which included a scanner, but I am not able to find the actual model anymore..

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/02/21 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use an HP M14 laser, it's small and with the HP app on our phones it's very easy to take a picture of a document and then print it. That takes care of copying and scanning in one small footprint.

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

Senior Member

Joined: 03/15/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/04/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading the suggestions, and using laser printers at work, I have pretty much settled on a laser printer.

I was in Walmart tonight and I saw an HP MFP M28w. I was impressed with the size and price ($139). We use HP printers at work and they seem (to me) to work as well as anything we used in the past.

Does anyone have any experience with this model?


2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > Suggestions for Printer/Copier/Scanner for RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.