Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: how much camper can I carry
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> how much camper can I carry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/21 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Your rear axle is most likely a Sterling 10.5 and the rating from the manufacturer is like 10K or close to it if memory serves me,so axle weight won't really effect your decision..It is way more than Fords stickers..

ya thats what I found out looking at the rear end ratings. tires are the main thing I was concerned about but mine are good to just shy of 8000 on the rear.

jaycocreek wrote:

The Adventurer 89rbs is a fairly light weight slide camper if a slide is a must..Your truck will handle a fairly heavy camper but how comfy you will be driving it is another story...There top heavy and tippy in corners and make some people get rid of them fast because of the cornering....

Im not afrade to drive slower, I normaly just put the cruze on 55 and enjoy the ride (habit from trying to get good gas milage with the 5th wheel haha). this one would be about 1000lbs heavier than my curent camper, but it is shorter by almost a foot. weather that makes a difference or not who knows. I am looking at stable loads (upper and lower) and from what I have read they significantly help with that.

jaycocreek wrote:

A retired RV repair friend of mine bought a Eagle Cap 950 slide and put it on his newer SRW Dodge 3500 and took it home up a windy river road to his place near Elk City and sold it within a week because of the sway on the narrow road home...Said it needs a DRW because of instability in corners..

Good luck on your choice..

and like I was saying above I am wondering if he would have had the same feeling with stableloads or somthing like that.. if a comercial rv rental company can put these on my truck and rent them out with no suspension mods how bad can they realy be as per stability? Im not stating that just kinda thinking out loud, as you would think they would have a much stricter requirment to ensure it is properly set up....

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/21 11:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

A retired RV repair friend of mine bought a Eagle Cap 950 slide and put it on his newer SRW Dodge 3500 and took it home up a windy river road to his place near Elk City and sold it within a week because of the sway on the narrow road home...Said it needs a DRW because of instability in corners..

and like I was saying above I am wondering if he would have had the same feeling with stableloads or somthing like that.. if a comercial rv rental company can put these on my truck and rent them out with no suspension mods how bad can they realy be as per stability? Im not stating that just kinda thinking out loud, as you would think they would have a much stricter requirment to ensure it is properly set up....

And yet I’ve been hauling an Eagle Cap 950 on a stock SRW ‘05 Chevy for 15 years (added Rancho shocks but didn’t notice a dramatic difference). I don’t have any issue with sway and there’s been exactly once when I had to slow below the limit. That was in the infamous Columbia River Gorge in high side winds.

I’ve had to take a 40 mph abrupt lane change and back to avoid a car trying to pull into my front fender. While there was some body roll, it never felt out of control.

I remember a trip home from the central Oregon coast where I was following a dually Ram with a similar sized Citation. He was swaying all over and running below the speed limit. After several miles of this he pulled off. I continued on at ~10 mph faster without any discomfort. I’m not sure what was up with his setup but it was definitely not handling it well. Perhaps he had some mods that actually made it worse? Air bags plumbed together or pumped up too high?

NRALIFR

Let’s Go Girls! [End of Quote]

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 03:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

……..Do they make all weather tripeak snowflake rated 19.5 rubber that can take that weight?

Steve

Yes, if you look for 245/70R19.5 with 3PMSF you’ll find that there are quite a few available from major tire manufacturers. Goodyear, Michelin, Toyo, Continental, etc and the SRW load rating will be close to 5K lbs.

[emoticon][emoticon]

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

……..Do they make all weather tripeak snowflake rated 19.5 rubber that can take that weight?

Steve

Yes, if you look for 245/70R19.5 with 3PMSF you’ll find that there are quite a few available from major tire manufacturers. Goodyear, Michelin, Toyo, Continental, etc and the SRW load rating will be close to 5K lbs.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Geat, Ill keep that in mind if I feel I am to close to the limit on mine. I'll have to find a bit bigger of one though to match my factory diamiter.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind that 19.5s require a lot of air to get to max capacity. With that you get a worse ride.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

@ StirCrazy, you're absolutely correct.
jayco's retired buddy either didn't have the truck setup right, or was a puss.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Keep in mind that 19.5s require a lot of air to get to max capacity. With that you get a worse ride.

True, and more importantly, IMO, worse traction on snow and ice when you have to maintain 70psi min.
They are a great option, but unless using the camper in the winter, I'd recommend keeping the OE wheels with a nice "soft" set of tires for the snow.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> how much camper can I carry
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.