cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best method for maintaining batteries

Darklock
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a new house battery, (flooded wet cell)to replace the old tired one. I want to get the most life out of it. What is best for keeping it maintained while sitting for extended periods? I have 200 watts of solar (two Renogy panels and their controller). Is it best to just keep it hooked up and let the panels and controller do their thing, or would I be better off disconnecting the battery and using some sort of battery maintainer/smart charger?
10 REPLIES 10

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 4-6v batteries and just let my solar maintain them. I have 3 years on this set doing this. So I'm really still in the testing stages of this, but so far my batteries are staying in good health. I think it is a good idea to equalize the cells every few months of use too, but that'd be after you use the battery and have a couple discharges/charges in the batteries history.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Batteries, even wet cells, don't magically discharge in a week or even a month when disconnected of all parasitic draws & left in storage.

It is nice to give a wet cell a little top up every month but two months is no real issue at all. Construction, farm equipment, boats on moorings, spend months at a time untended & start right up, provided the battery was in good shape when put into storage.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Darklock wrote:
Is it best to just keep it hooked up and let the panels and controller do their thing, or would I be better off disconnecting the battery and using some sort of battery maintainer/smart charger?

I have heard argument on nearly everything this included but my position is "YES" provided you have a good controller.

As someone said if panels get covered with snow.. Consider shore power and the on-board converter provided it's a good one. Magenetek 6300serkes.. NOT GOOD.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I disconnect my car battery for the winter. When I come home in the spring it starts right up.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Darklock
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like I will just be lazy and let the panels work. Thanks.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer a MPPT controller (PWMs are fine also).
Just leave the solar connected and let the MPPT controller do all the thinking. They check the battery several times per second and make adjustments as needed.
You are already done.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The answer depends to some extent on what the make and model of the charge controller. The Renogy charge controller makes most converters and smart chargers look sick.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your new battery charged one way or another.
Check the fluid level monthly and refill as necessary.
Decide on how many cycles you want from your new battery and never go below that SOC percentage.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, quite a few "paths" that can be taken.

1) disconnect house batteries from RV and solar, FLA batteries can sit for many months without needing to be recharged due to self discharging. FLAs can easily stored for 6 months or even up to a year without need for charging as long as they are completely disconnected from your RVs electrical system.

2) Disconnect house batteries from RV but leave solar connected but you will need a controller that is able to drop to a storage mode voltage of 13.2V. At 13.2V the batteries will be maintained enough to cover the self discharge rate but not to high of a voltage to use a lot of water.

3) Leave all connected but only solar charge.. Once again, charge controller needs to have a 13.2V storage voltage but, phantom draws from fridge, water heater, stereo devices may not allow the charge controller drop into storage mode voltage.

4) Leave all connected plus solar and converter.. see comment number three.. The converter used in many RVs often have a difficult time dropping to a storage voltage of 13.2V due to high of phantom loads draw.

While you can store a battery with a charging voltage higher like 13.4 or 13.6, it tends to boil the batteries dry which means you will need to check and fill the batteries often or risk them going dry.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the panels do not get snowed on then let the solar keep them maintained.
Just check on the water level once in a while.