Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin Basecamp Problems

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning fellow truck campers.
I recently purchased the Garmin RV 890, I really like it. I have always purchased a Garmin gps. I have been learning Basecamp, I like it.
I can pick my own route and then export it to the RV890. When I open Basecamp and connect the gps to my laptop, Basecamp opens a small window, "Problem connecting to the device, error code, garmin/gpx/ current.gpx. I googled the error code and Garmin gives steps to delete the issue. I follow the step and deleted the corrupt current gpx file.
Then I start to mark my route, by placing waypoints, but somewhere on the route Basecamp does not follow the route that I have marked and willy nilly goes where it wants but will come back to the last waypoint that I had put on the map. Well I don't want to wander all over the countryside., I want to go down the roads I picked. I have called Gamin numerous times. The last time the guy said I see you have called before, Yes, because the issue has not been solved. And he kinda talked to me as if I was a waste of his time. UUUMMMM I was really looking forward to using Basecamp to explore.
Hope I explained this clearly. Has anyone who uses Basecamp had this issue?
Does anyone know of a alternative program that I can use instead Basecamp, Or a different gps device to replace the RV890.
Any input will be appreciated.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax
22 REPLIES 22

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Your particular example is probably a "self-protection routing" because of RV or Truck selected as the vehicle

I was going to say not the problem as I've had the issue on flat areas also. However, went back and dig some digging only to find my driving profile by default it had selected "closing Time" and "climbing". When I removed these options, it routed correctly. I'll have to try and remember a couple of other issues I've had where the roads were flat and bridgeless to see if somehow these setting effected those as well.

Thanks for making me double check everything. I've learned something knew so my day is complete.

Edit: The option was edit -> options -> activity profile then select routing tab and uncheck the two check boxes.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse
Thank you for the links
Brenda and Bill
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
SageCrispin wrote:
I've been going to chime in on this to suggest you start in Google maps, import that route to Basecamp, and then to your device.

That's a good technique and it's what I use.
Finding stuff in Google is very easy-so is developing a route.
Once that's done, export the file to the computer - then use Basecamp to import that file to Basecamp - "then to your device".

However, I would suggest learning Basecamp basics first.
I avoid the Basecamp Trip Planner (as described in my earlier post).

Thank you to who posted the video tutorial - every bit helps.
Another tutorial that can be downloaded to a pdf and studied at leisure is https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

diver110
Explorer
Explorer
Not directly responsive, but I have owned many Garmin products over the years, gps, watches, all were a pain, especially if I did not use them often. Garmin does not get user friendly. Still have hiking gps. Basecamp is a pain. But my hiking gps did get to the top of multiple 14erโ€™s, I just have to be ready to reinvent the learning curve. I would take my Apple Watch all day long over a Garmin watch, even with crummy battery life.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
I'm getting pretty good with Basecamp since Microsoft S&T won't work on Win 10.

I've had the problems in the past. Here is an example of going from west side of RMNP (Stillwater) to Estes Park on the east side. Note it is 144 miles in 3:35.

By adding a couple of waypoints, finally had Basecamp heading the way I want which is through RMNP. Note this way is 52.6 miles in 2:51. So this is the route it should have selected to begin with.

What I do is pick my two points. Add a waypoint in between then keep moving the waypoint until the routes swaps to the other side. Then go back and add a second waypoint in the area just before the route swapped. Some times it takes several of these to get it to finally go the route I want.

I've looked at other programs, but Basescamp is the only one that works off line. Since I have a Garmin, I can also download and use the City Navigator which is the map on the Garmin so the routes in theory should be identical once transferred from Basecamp to Garmin. I haven't tried downloading yet because while I make plans we are retired and aren't in a hurry. Side trips are our norm and plans change often.

Your particular example is probably a "self-protection routing" because of RV or Truck selected as the vehicle ... routing through RMNP as you desired is "not recommended" for larger vehicles (and not possible during the winter when the road/pass closes). If you can change the vehicle to "car" (if possible ... I only use Basecamp for hiking/hunting trails) it may route you automatically as desired.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
SageCrispin
Thank you for the reply.
I will take a look at the videos.
Brenda and Bill

SageCrispin
Explorer
Explorer
I've been going to chime in on this to suggest you start in Google maps, import that route to Basecamp, and then to your device. It is a bit of round-about, but many find Google easier to use. Now I'd suggest you look at K and I's link. His episode 10 discusses just this method. Admittedly I fast forwarded through it, but he does seem to get the job done, though it is in excruciating detail. He really spends a great deal of time analyzing errors and how to correct them. If you can tolerate the slow pace, I think this recommendation from K and I is an excellent one.
We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
There may be other good tutorials out there, but I went through this guy's youtube videos and found them helpful. If you have the time, start at the beginning (how to set things up) and progress through the rest.

Garmin BaseCamp
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad
Thank you for the reply. Like you we are retired, many years. I will keep playing with it. There is a possibility that it could be nothing more than operator error LOLOLOLOL I will try what you are doing.
Brenda and Bill

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
towpro
Thank you for the reply. I will check my settings in Basecamp and on the GPS to make sure they match. I would really like to use Basecamp. I have spent some time learning how to use it. It is a great program.
Brenda and Bill

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse
Thanks for the reply. I do have th profile set as a RV. I did not have a destination set. I will try that and see what happens.
Brenda and Bill

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hated Basecamp and went back to Mapsource
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting pretty good with Basecamp since Microsoft S&T won't work on Win 10.

I've had the problems in the past. Here is an example of going from west side of RMNP (Stillwater) to Estes Park on the east side. Note it is 144 miles in 3:35.

By adding a couple of waypoints, finally had Basecamp heading the way I want which is through RMNP. Note this way is 52.6 miles in 2:51. So this is the route it should have selected to begin with.

What I do is pick my two points. Add a waypoint in between then keep moving the waypoint until the routes swaps to the other side. Then go back and add a second waypoint in the area just before the route swapped. Some times it takes several of these to get it to finally go the route I want.

I've looked at other programs, but Basescamp is the only one that works off line. Since I have a Garmin, I can also download and use the City Navigator which is the map on the Garmin so the routes in theory should be identical once transferred from Basecamp to Garmin. I haven't tried downloading yet because while I make plans we are retired and aren't in a hurry. Side trips are our norm and plans change often.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I loved Delorme street atlas, greatest software out there, but the delorme GPS was made for walking, or you could use your laptop.

Than Garmin bought them out. I have spend a lot of time switching to Base Camp.
the trick is to first make sure your GPS and base camp are both set to the same routing method, (shortest, fastest, etc). add some way points in your route, then load them to GPS and view the route, is it what you expected? Remember all you are doing is sending way points to GPS from base camp and the GPS is creating its own route from way point to way point. All you can do is keep adding way points until the GPS routes you were you want to go.

another problem I have had it my Drive series receives traffic data and can route you around an accident, but if you have a way point near the accident the GPS will still be routing you around the accident to that next way point, not your true destination.

With every GPS, you have to visually run a sanity check on every route before you leave. If this is a a route somewhere I have never been, I might have one line paper notes about major turns that I expect. If GPS starts to route you somewhere else, make that turn you have on paper and GPS will re-calibrate.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.