Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What's the best deep cycle AGM battery for 2021?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What's the best deep cycle AGM battery for 2021?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
GrouchyOldMan

Open Road

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greetings Forum Battery Gurus!

I'm currently running dual 12VDC 80 AH deep cycle AGM batteries wired parallel. When new they provided us with 3-4 days of normal use without resorting to the genset. We got four years out of them but the capacity is dropping now and it's time for replacement.

I have researched the latest lithium offerings and WOW, the price has come way down and the capacity is up.... but the required upgrades to my Victron monitor, charging system and some protection for cold weather charging and avoiding damage to my alternator all vote for simply replacing with like-kind, 100 AH deep cycle AGM.

Looks like that will set me back around $400 which is acceptable. So, my question is what brand is currently leading the pack and are then any specs or features I should consider?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

-Grouchy

Ltrip

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This past summer I installed 2 6v Lifeline AGM batteries. I did my research and settled on Lifeline. Working fine so far.
Cheers,

Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/21 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ltrip wrote:

This past summer I installed 2 6v Lifeline AGM batteries. I did my research and settled on Lifeline. Working fine so far.
Cheers,

X2

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lifeline is good, so are Trojan and Odyssey.

The DEKA Intimidator batteries are a little less pricey than the other 3 brands mentioned, but are still pretty decent. They're more likely to be sold locally, which is nice is you ever need an in- warranty replacement.

GrouchyOldMan

Open Road

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thx guys,

Question: is Warranty even something to be considered in this purchase? I have found with batteries and tires for that matter, that they tend to "wear out" just after the warranty ends. I reckon the manufacturer has a pretty good bead on that timeline. Even if there's a few "Pro-rated" dollars left on the warranty it isn't worth the hassle.

OR am I wrong?

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/21 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used both AGM and FLA batteries. I only get 3 or 4 years of service life out of AGM batteries. I 7 years out of flooded lead acid batteries.
As for brand I like Interstate and Trojan.

2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Ltrip

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

corvettekent wrote:

I have used both AGM and FLA batteries. I only get 3 or 4 years of service life out of AGM batteries. I 7 years out of flooded lead acid batteries.
As for brand I like Interstate and Trojan.

I think the useful life of a battery is largely due to how well you care for them. You have done a great job taking care of your FLA batteries!

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrouchyOldMan wrote:

Question: is Warranty even something to be considered in this purchase?

Many folks abuse their RV batteries.

If you take care of them, they'll probably either outlast the warranty, or die shortly after purchase.

Just about any manufacturer will replace a battery that fails shortly after purchase - and battery "infant mortality" is not unheard of.

The warranties on deep-cycle/trolling motor/RV batteries tend to be pretty short anyway, mostly because the way those particular batteries are used and maintained is unpredictable.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best bang for the buck is telcom batteries that have been "pulled" because one battery in a string has failed.

The interstate stores sell them for $1 per amp-hour. I'm on year 5 with mine. They are maintained by solar between trips.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/21 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lifeline. Give them a call, their tech support and info is top notch. If you care for them you should expect 10yr+.

Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What's the best deep cycle AGM battery for 2021?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.