cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about unit stabilization

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased my first 5th wheel. 42' KZ front living. Well I had been curious how sturdy it would be with those hydraulic jacks. After all it's just one point straight down with no lateral support. I didn't notice that big of an issue with it shaking but wife brought it up. I know I can add blocks under the jacks and the shorter they end up the more support they would have but I'm wondering what else I can do? I realize a 42' camper on a few stabilizers isn't going to be rock solid but just curious if there is any suggestions out there. I have never owned a set but would the scissor type locks that fit between the tires help? I have heard they help on smaller TTs but I'm not sure on this application.
19 REPLIES 19

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
SUMRX4 wrote:
ad been curious how sturdy it would be with those hydraulic jacks.ll it's just one point straight down with no lateral support. I didn't notice that big of an issue with it shaking but wife brought it up. [./quote]

get under and look how there mounted, there a lot more robust than the old standar type of leveling jacks. I have a 40 foot with 4 point and realy these is less movment than my old 30 foot camper with the jt strong arms. I wouldnt waist money on any aditional stabalizers unless some one was giving you a set for free.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the MORryde site, they have a new HITCH MOUNT STABILIZER P/N SP54-182 that mounts into the Receiver Hitch Tube (If you have one) with arms on each side that fold down and are adjustable, then a Ratchet Strap between those arms that you crank good and tight and helps take some of the tail bounce.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
What I would really like is something on the far rear corners. My issue isn't up front with the landing jacks. My unit is 42' with 6 point auto leveling but I bet it 12 - 15' from the rear jack to the rear of the unit. The bedroom is in the rear of the coach and the movement is almost embarrassing sometimes...if you know what I mean!

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
SUMRX4 wrote:
We are headed out again next weekend. After the auto level sequence I will run each down a tad more and see it that helps.
I looked at the strong arms but Didn't see any with hardware to mount to the round hydraulic jacks. Just the square electric jacks. Am I missing something?

There should be holes in the round foot pad in which to mount the bracket to. If not, drill a hole. Had these on my other coach and they worked great. I will install them on our new RV this winter.
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I was very surprised with the 4-point auto-level system on our KZ. Just using it, alone, makes our rig at least 100% more stable than our old Komfort with standard electric front and crank-down rear jacks. There have been several times when I've forgotten to tighten up the factory-installed JTs and it takes a while before I go, "hmmmm, did I tighten the JTs? Seems a little more wobbly than normal." Sure enough, forgot to do so. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
SUMRX4 wrote:
We are headed out again next weekend. After the auto level sequence I will run each down a tad more and see it that helps.
I looked at the strong arms but Didn't see any with hardware to mount to the round hydraulic jacks. Just the square electric jacks. Am I missing something?

They provide adapters for the hydraulic jacks.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
SUMRX4 wrote:

I kept my Steadyfast stabilizers I had on my previous fifth wheel thinking I would use them on the new one . They are similar to the JT's . They did a great job on my old fifth with just the conventional landing gear in front ,and the back stabilizer jacks . The new fifth with the six point level up is pretty solid . I ended up selling my Steadyfast stabilizers, didn't see the need for them .

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
This will help also.

https://www.valterra.com/product/rv-stabilizer-14-28-universal-boxed/

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
You might find the blocks under leg pads will help if the level jacks are not unloading the suspension. Ours on self leveling unloads the springs and supports most all of the weight of the trailer thus no movement

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 39 ft Cougar 5th wheel that we just brought home. After unhooking it from the truck, chocked the wheels and let the auto leveling system do it's job. There is absolutely zero movement front to back or laterally.
Just say no to the payload police :C

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brackets to mount to the round jack pads.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Don't take the wife out on a boat.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
When we are going to be set for awhile I put down all 6 jacks really hard, to the point that the wheels are just touching the ground. These hydraulic jacks are very strong, My four rear jacks are 4000lb capable each and the front 2 are rated at 6000lb. That's a total of 28000lbs of capability. When we are set up that way the only time we may feel some motion when in our rig is when the washer is spinning. ah but I'm sure somebody will chime in and say you can't put that much weight on those jacks.
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten