cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning Style Solar Panel

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys , so im thinking of mounting a panel on the side of my rv using j brackets and a swing out awning style bracket of some kind to extend it up toward the sun , what are your thoughts?

Also, could i safely leave the panel fixed to the side of the vehicle during driving? i dont have space to store it inside , i want the top portion to be permanently fixed to the j brackets , and just be able to unhook the bottom portion to swing it up , then be able to secure it back down to the side when not in use . what do you think?
17 REPLIES 17

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't seen anything practical that swivels up with say a motor. My raised panels are just below the ACs. ie Sun on the panels only occurs when the sun is less than 10 degrees elevation. ie From a practical standpoint no RV shadows of concern.

Possibly your considering adding to the current panels. In 2014, I started from scratch and considered and ignored any post that didn't make sense and they were a lot related to raised panels. A easy upgrade for me would be to change the 60 cell panels for 72 cell panels resulting in up to 350W per panel. And there are other options.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
moonlitsouls wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Scroll down the Kayteg1 link and note all of the empty roof space for panels. Makes no sense to me except for of course bragging rights. ie My panel is more power-ful than yours! Da*n, gotta have one of those.

you lost me here
That link shows a LOT of empty roof space for panels of all sizes/shapes vs a $10,000 awning that only works when the awning is out.

Therefore for me it's about bragging rights.

i see your point , yes the actual awning doesnt appeal to me at all , i just mean id like to replicate the mechanism in which the panel lies flat and then swivels up somehow. The only space i have left on my roof is directly above the mach8 air conditioning unit and i was contemplating putting a raised panel above that which will be my next post on this forum ; )

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
moonlitsouls wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Scroll down the Kayteg1 link and note all of the empty roof space for panels. Makes no sense to me except for of course bragging rights. ie My panel is more power-ful than yours! Da*n, gotta have one of those.

you lost me here
That link shows a LOT of empty roof space for panels of all sizes/shapes vs a $10,000 awning that only works when the awning is out.

Therefore for me it's about bragging rights.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
moonlitsouls wrote:
my roof is filled to capacity with 900w , im in new york so the sun exposure isnt great thats why i want more. im gonna look around at some of the bracket options
Mine isn't full because I didn't follow the standard practice of mounting close to the roof. I have 3x 250W and have room for 3 more. Just think outside the box.

Bob

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
moonlitesouls,

Make sure you don't exceed the legal limit for width.

I'd love to do awnings--but I'm already at the legal limit, so I nixed the idea.

thats a good point , although i would only prop the panel up when im parked somewhere nobody will care.

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

you lost me here

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
moonlitesouls,

Make sure you don't exceed the legal limit for width.

I'd love to do awnings--but I'm already at the legal limit, so I nixed the idea.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bob

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
At least one poster has panels mounted on the side, maybe a airstream.

Look at the various ways panels on the roof are tilted, same thing you want to do. But that side will need to face south. With the lower panel prices today most just put an extra panel on the roof, no adjustment needed ever. Mine work great parked or driving.

my roof is filled to capacity with 900w , im in new york so the sun exposure isnt great thats why i want more. im gonna look around at some of the bracket options

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
At least one poster has panels mounted on the side, maybe a airstream.

Look at the various ways panels on the roof are tilted, same thing you want to do. But that side will need to face south. With the lower panel prices today most just put an extra panel on the roof, no adjustment needed ever. Mine work great parked or driving.

Bob

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
moonlitsouls wrote:
fpoole wrote:
Should be OK.
I've seen some of the big boys, Class A Motorhome, have them on the sides and they just adjust as needed. That side towards the side obviously.
Don't think it was an awning setup, more like swing brackets to handle the winds either driving or gusts on a windy day...

interesting , yes i need to really think this through. I could use a swivel stick of some kind to prop the panel up and wedge it into place in a fabricated hole of some kind.

Yah, that's what they look like. I suppose if you did a search for RV solar on RV side or something like that you'd get some idea. The problem is the winds. Driving or in a wind storm, probably just keep them on the side which I've seen. Angle is nice, have seen them on other RV there are bracket that do that.. so cruise the internet... great idea though, camper has to be facing that side to the sun..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
fpoole wrote:
Should be OK.
I've seen some of the big boys, Class A Motorhome, have them on the sides and they just adjust as needed. That side towards the side obviously.
Don't think it was an awning setup, more like swing brackets to handle the winds either driving or gusts on a windy day...

interesting , yes i need to really think this through. I could use a swivel stick of some kind to prop the panel up and wedge it into place in a fabricated hole of some kind.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Should be OK.
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer