cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

leaking pipes

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a used 2017 Big Horn 5th wheel from Camping World, had it towed to our permanent sight and already are having problem. The kitchen sink and half bath are both backing up grey water. I checked the plastic pipes under the kitchen sink, took them apart and it all seemed clear. Any ideas? The black water drains fine and so does the front bathroom shower, no problem there.
15 REPLIES 15

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Dougrainer, some of the overfill went into the under-storage compartment---not much and an easy cleanup. I didn't see any water underneath the trailer, so I don't think much got trapped above the lining. We're in the dry desert, so what little is left will dry out.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Road Phantom wrote:
Man, do I feel the fool. There is a second pull handle to another grey tank for the kitchen. It's separate from the rest and in its own compartment. Thanks all for the help.

NOW the bad news. Since you stated it eventually drained down, that means you drained water into your underbelly. SMELLY gray water in the underbelly. The tank is NOT completely sealed at the top fittings. You may need to open up the underbelly and let it dry out. Doug

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Road Phantom wrote:
Man, do I feel the fool. There is a second pull handle to another grey tank for the kitchen. It's separate from the rest and in its own compartment. Thanks all for the help.

You're welcome. FYI, I prefer Coors.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Road Phantom wrote:

I can guarantee you are NOT the first one that had this issue. On our trailer with two grey and one black and ONE sewer outlet pipe it is pretty easy to see all 3 handles and do a dump.

However I have seen many a trailer with TWO sewer outlet pipes and/or the tank drain connections in seperate locations on the trailer. and hence, well you found out the outcome!!

Glad your back in business
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
I would get one of those clear drain pieces that can be use to see what is draining from the main drain hose. Close every thing but the tank you think is the one for the kitchen sink and 1/2 bath. You can then see what and how much water is draining from that thank.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Same with my class A
Three tanks
Black
Gray 1 (Includes kitchen sink)
Gray 2 (Technically "Wash" not Gray, there is a legal difference)

The 2nd tank was "remote" from the common Black/Gray 1 tank
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Yep my ole fifth wheel has two grey tanks. :h

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
(Can the grey water tank be full? The shower may have one grey water tank, and the sinks have a different grey water tank.)
This is like, "My car won't start." And then you find out it's out of gas.
The handles for the tank drains are all in one spot. I have two for black: one the full bath and one for the half bath. There's only one handle for the grey. I checked outside that compartment and there isn't anything else. The water in the kitchen eventually goes down, That's why I believe its a clog. The full bathroom and W/D at the other end of the trailer drain fine. I think they sell a drain cleaner for plastic pipes, so I'll head to Lowe's and see if I can find it.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bobbo wrote:
Can the grey water tank be full? The shower may have one grey water tank, and the sinks have a different grey water tank.

Bingo. There are probably 2 Gray tanks. Some OEM's do a pretty good job of hiding the 2nd tank drain valve. It may be just a handle sticking out the drivers side on a extension rod. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
joelc wrote:
You say you just bought this RV, even though a 2017. Is there any warranty with it? If so you know what to do.

1. He stated used
2. MOST Towable warranties are 1 year. Jayco is 2, there may be others with 2
3. Almost ALL Towable warranties are for FIRST owner only. Regardless of when the unit is sold, even in the first year, including Jayco. Doug

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
You say you just bought this RV, even though a 2017. Is there any warranty with it? If so you know what to do.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with Bobbo, look for a second waste outlet that the prep crew at the dealer missed. Hopefully it's that easy.
Puma 30RKSS

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
While you're at it, snake the drain pipes up on the roof.