Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Truck, 2013 Northstar Pop Up

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wondering Why......

I had a 2013 GMC 3500 SRW Long Bed which I used to carry a 2015 Northstar Popup camper. When using the camper, I would always remove the tailgate before installing the camper. The camper has a PVC tube running across the back for the sewage hose that hangs a little lower than the camper and there are hot/cold water drains on the right rear that also hang a little lower than the camper bottom. I believe these were the reasons that i was told to remove the tailgate. These stick out a few inches from the truck bed and are above the tailgate.
Yesterday, I was offered more for my 2019 truck than I paid for it three years ago ($6K). I purchased a 2022 GMC 3500 gas SRW. It came with the Pro Grade tailgate. This is not something that I needed or wanted, but it was part of the package.
As I advance in age, removing/installing the tailgate is becoming more difficult as it is unwieldy and heavy. There are also wires attached to the tailgate that operate the lock and camera.
So here is the big question. If I remove the hose carrier (I never use it) and recess the hot/cold line drains, is there any reason that I can't leave the tailgate on the truck while using the camper?
I believe that I could attach the Brophy steps to the Pro Grade tailgate with little fanfare, creating a little landing outside of the camper.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas.
Thanks.
Bill
19 REPLIES 19

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:
Foldable shop crane (engine hoist), 2,000# capacity from Harbor Freight. $229. Maybe $20 worth of light duty chain and 1/4" shackles will get that tailgate off by yourself.

The weight is one problem. The other is all of the connectors that go to it. This tailgate has wiring for a lock, 2 cameras and two releases for the various tailgate functions. Getting to them (crawl under the truck) and taking them apart (Weather pak type) that I will break, made me search out other ways to accomplish this task.

I am just finishing up a bracket for the stairs to attach to the tailgate so that I can use it while the tailgate is on the truck with the camper. I'll post it up soon.
Bill

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Foldable shop crane (engine hoist), 2,000# capacity from Harbor Freight. $229. Maybe $20 worth of light duty chain and 1/4" shackles will get that tailgate off by yourself.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Fishbreath wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
Fishbreath wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

With regards to weight on the tailgate with the camper loaded, the Northstar popup has an 8 foot footprint and does not hang over past the floor of the truck bed.

I had no desire for the ProGrade tailgate when I ordered the truck, but, it came standard with the trim package that I ordered. I have also learned on-line, that the ProGrade tailgate will smash into a trailer ball if one is installed in the receiver. There are a lot of unhappy people on the net that have pushed the button to lower the gate and have had it hit the hitch ball, leaving a dent in the tailgate. Two companies have already designed work-arounds to prevent this. One is an electronic switch that senses you have a hitch ball installed and stops the tailgate from lowering. The other is a specially-bent hitch/ball combo that drops the ball lower and also tucks it in a little. GM failed to field test this new tailgate while towing. Just a little frustrating.

I'll update this situation once I get the tie downs installed and do a trial fit.

Thanks!

B&W makes a nice tow ball setup that flips inward so the gate doesnโ€™t hit the ball.

I have seen the B@W hitch. Unfortunately, you still run the risk of damaging the tailgate if you forget that the hitch ball is installed. It would be easy to oversee because the darn thing is mechanized and can be opened/dropped from inside of the cab.
TOO MANY GOODIES!

Seems I remember seeing a youtube ad recently about some device that you can add to your tailgate that will keep it from dropping if there is a hitch in the receiver.

There is! It is a switch that attaches to the tailgate latches and overrides the tailgate if the hitch has a ball inserted. The company is Tailgatefix.com. I ordered the switch and it should be here soon. I'll post something on the install when I get it.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fishbreath wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
Fishbreath wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

With regards to weight on the tailgate with the camper loaded, the Northstar popup has an 8 foot footprint and does not hang over past the floor of the truck bed.

I had no desire for the ProGrade tailgate when I ordered the truck, but, it came standard with the trim package that I ordered. I have also learned on-line, that the ProGrade tailgate will smash into a trailer ball if one is installed in the receiver. There are a lot of unhappy people on the net that have pushed the button to lower the gate and have had it hit the hitch ball, leaving a dent in the tailgate. Two companies have already designed work-arounds to prevent this. One is an electronic switch that senses you have a hitch ball installed and stops the tailgate from lowering. The other is a specially-bent hitch/ball combo that drops the ball lower and also tucks it in a little. GM failed to field test this new tailgate while towing. Just a little frustrating.

I'll update this situation once I get the tie downs installed and do a trial fit.

Thanks!

B&W makes a nice tow ball setup that flips inward so the gate doesnโ€™t hit the ball.

I have seen the B@W hitch. Unfortunately, you still run the risk of damaging the tailgate if you forget that the hitch ball is installed. It would be easy to oversee because the darn thing is mechanized and can be opened/dropped from inside of the cab.
TOO MANY GOODIES!

Seems I remember seeing a youtube ad recently about some device that you can add to your tailgate that will keep it from dropping if there is a hitch in the receiver.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
I have often warned people that is the main drawback with leaving the tailgate on. You could run one of those goofy mustache things across your rear bumper to catch any rocks thrown up by the wheels until they fall off and you give up on the idea.

Yes, the trucks are taller because everyone just goes and puts at least a 2" lift kit on them as soon as they get them home, right? The jacked up truck look is "in" right now.

Also if you want a truck that doesn't have the bells and whistles you can get one. Just find a dealer that does fleet sales. They usually have a line of plain-jane trucks on the lot. Who cares if it's white? That's the most popular color right now. Besides you can always get it vinyl wrapped in any color you want.

You forget to take your Metamucil this morning? This whole post is bitter and laughable at the same time.
And PS, the OP "purchased" as in past tense, already bought the new truck, so guessing he doesn't just want to go down to the fleet dealer and get ANOTHER NEW truck.

And getting it wrapped? Sure it's an option. An expensive temporary option. Especially considering we're talking about a minor or even just potential issue with a tailgate that literally can be removed in 1 minute, and if the swiss army tailgate is ACTUALLY prohibitive for the owner, a new/used, traditional tailgate can be purchased way cheaper than trading a new truck for another new truck and then getting it wrapped.
What you suggested is akin to needing to go to the grocery store for a few things, but rather than drive to the store and pick up your items, you book a flight to another city, fly there, uber to a store, get your stuff, check a bag and fly home....

You can try to contrive it any way you want, but where was I saying that the OP should go and trade trucks?

I was simply stating the fact that you CAN get a plain jane truck if you want.

I know of many grumpy old pharts who would gladly pay extra for a plain jane truck wrapped in the color of their choice rather than put up with all the fancy-schmancy modern bells and whistles. "More to go wrong!"

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to help! That stuff was amazing on our trip to Alaska - when we pulled it off at the end of the trip, about 900-lbs of dead bugs went with it....LOL! The motorhome was pristine underneath. There were a few places where some residue remained - a quick rub with some Goo-Gone fixed that. It's hard to put on smoothly, since most surfaces on a vehicle have some curves, but who cares? I just flatten it out and leave it alone. It works fine.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I have a Northstar PU TC 8' floor, that I haul on a 6-1/2' bed truck with the tailgate lowered. Before loading, I just cover the back of the tailgate with Transit Shield (also called Tansport Wrap) to protect it. I'm still using the stuff I bought in 2006 to go to Alaska (and used it to protect our Class C.)

I just looked up Transport Wrap. Didn't know you could buy the stuff. I just ordered a roll.
This was a genius tip! Thanks so much!
Best regards
Bill

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Northstar PU TC 8' floor, that I haul on a 6-1/2' bed truck with the tailgate lowered. Before loading, I just cover the back of the tailgate with Transit Shield (also called Tansport Wrap) to protect it. I'm still using the stuff I bought in 2006 to go to Alaska (and used it to protect our Class C.)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geo*Boy wrote:
Fishbreath wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks!

TOO MANY GOODIES!

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fishbreath wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you don't want the swiss army tailgate, it's not prohibitive for what you're doing now. Leave it on, get some help to remove it if it's too heavy, keep your eye out for a takeoff "normal" tailgate to purchase, and sell your tailgate to the highest bidder.
People will be breaking and smashing them (no different than other trucks) and likely a full replacement OE tailgate will be around $5k maybe more, all in, from a body shop.
You could get the tailgate you want, lose the one you don't and come out with money in your pocket, pretty easily.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks!

Bedlam
What does a vinyl wrap go for now days?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fishbreath wrote:
KD4UPL:

Thanks for the reply. I thought more people would chime in regarding the tailgate issue. I had not thought of the "rock chips" as a potential problem. I guess I will have to get that clear film that is popular on the front of cars plastered onto the tailgate to protect it.
It's funny you mentioned the heights of the newer trucks. This 2022 has to be 2-3 inches taller than my 2019 3500. Makes no sense.

Bill

Mud flaps will be easier to install. Although I love the Clear Bra stuff. It absolutely works as advertised, but if you're hammering it continuously with rocks, it will show that wear.

Worst case, find ya a takeoff GM standard tailgate, if you decide the multifunction one doesn't work for you. They should be plentiful. Same tailgate back to the 2019 redesign of the 1/2 tons.
May require dealer or aftermarket software to revise programming or features to a more "primitive" level?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold