cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best generator

Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new at rving but I've researched every site about best or quieter generators and I'm still at odds. What do y'all recommend? My bro in law just ought an Onan but just inot sure!
73 REPLIES 73

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL

๐Ÿ˜›

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
The OP responded on page 2 about the generator he decided on. And the argument about the pros and cons of solar goes on for another 6 pages.

That's funny!
:B

No... YOUR brand of (truck/trailer/generator/solar panels) is inferior and MY brand is better!

Just helping the thread move along =)!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP responded on page 2 about the generator he decided on. And the argument about the pros and cons of solar goes on for another 6 pages.

That's funny!
:B

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
95 and humidity I will have utility hookups and no generator running and will be very happy.

Grid goes down? Not going to carry a generator for that. Don't have one for my home either.

$10,000? You overpaid.

If you don't camp much, that's a viable option. It may only be every 5yrs that you have the power go out...an acceptable compromise.

If you camp a lot, having the ability to power the rig is really nice.

Example: we were in south texas last winter when they had their big ice storm...We got stuck for 3 days without power. It was overcast, so the solar wasn't putting out much. Without the generator, the furnace would have been out of commission.

Price us up a solar package including mounts and other upgrades taking into account RV payload and other considerations and tell us if it comes in below $10k professionally installed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Can you throw $10k at a solar system and get part time air/con, sure but a lot simpler and more reliable to just get a generator.

Define part time.

I could run my roof air for more than 3 hours in 2009. Cost of the system to do so was less than $2000. Cost for panels and charge controller was $6.64 per watt. Now panels are well under a dollar a watt (lowest price I ever saw was $0.26 per watt). My battery bank was 7 marine batteries @ $700.00. They lasted 12 years. The inverter was a Cobra 2500 watt MSW but rated to run motors.

3hr is wildly different from 16-24hr per day.

Keep in mind, it's not just the cost per watt of the panels. You have to find mounting systems. Also, a battery bank sufficient to run longer periods can force you to move up to a heavier duty truck...which costs more.

Yes, to get reliable full time air/con on solar is technically possible but not practical.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Skibane wrote:
The whole point of having a generator is so you don't have to make compromises like restricting yourself to campsites with full hookups in hot weather - or only staying in the RV at night to avoid daylight heat - or insisting on campsites with full sunlight exposure during peak solar hours.

If altering your lifestyle to accommodate your solar system's limitations convinces you that your system is practical and makes you happy, that's fine - Just don't expect the average RV'er to accept those same beliefs.

I have a built in genset. But here in the east there is limited boon docking. For the most part you cannot just camp on open land. Camping is done at public or private CG's. They all have restrictions on genset use.
Yes I use my genset to wally dock occaisionally.
Or I may camp at a friends property or meet boating friends at a marina.
I also may use my genset for lunch stops or roadside breaks.
I could easily replace my genset with a A/C capable solar system and not miss a beat. I seldom if ever run my genset 24/7 for days on end.
As far as others altering their camping lifestyle yes it will happen.
Now that solar systems are coming factory installed of course you will see many more adopting solar. Much in the same way residential fridges have become much more common than 10 years ago.
People will adapt to new technology.
Of course solar is not for everyone, no more than residential fridges are for everyone. However as solar continues to grow and develop, solar will certainly have a game changing impact in the RV world
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everything is a compromise. I value quiet and no fumes over location. Or I will tolerate the heat. Maybe I will be back when the season changes. Or maybe book a hotel with room service.

Enjoy the generator.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
The whole point of having a generator is so you don't have to make compromises like restricting yourself to campsites with full hookups in hot weather - or only staying in the RV at night to avoid daylight heat - or insisting on campsites with full sunlight exposure during peak solar hours.

If altering your lifestyle to accommodate your solar system's limitations convinces you that your system is practical and makes you happy, that's fine - Just don't expect the average RV'er to accept those same beliefs.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Can you throw $10k at a solar system and get part time air/con, sure but a lot simpler and more reliable to just get a generator.

Define part time.

I could run my roof air for more than 3 hours in 2009. Cost of the system to do so was less than $2000.00. Cost for panels and charge controller was $6.64 per watt. Now panels are well under a dollar a watt (lowest price I ever saw was $0.26 per watt). My battery bank was 7 marine batteries @ $700.00. They lasted 12 years. The inverter was a Cobra 2500 watt MSW but rated to run motors.

So that same system would be much cheaper.

In the meantime battery technology has also improved dramatically.

I do have a generator but my costs for generators since 2000 total over $12,000.00. One died, 2nd one was nearly totally useless, 3rd one was stolen, 4th is now in a security cage.

The generator that lasted the longest was number one, a Kipor with a 10 year life span. I did have to have it serviced locally twice for very little money. It was also the 2nd cheapest.

I use the generator extremely sparingly.

I just have to lol at the lengths some will go to , to try and make a point. Even so far as to basically admitting you bought cheap stuff, or got unlucky and paid way too much.
Guess if I was gullible enough to spend $12k on what could have been like $900 I might be in favor of something different as well.
BTW, this is one of the most ridiculous arguments yโ€™all have made up , in a whileโ€ฆ.just sayin.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Solar panels... very quiet.
Very true...you can't even hear the air/con blower going because it's not.
Many do have this curious obsession with air conditioning.

Hey if you are happy to sleep in 95F and high humidity, you are a better man than I.

Also, we have had park power go out in those conditions, so grid power is a far from perfect solution.

95 and humidity I will have utility hookups and no generator running and will be very happy.

Grid goes down? Not going to carry a generator for that. Don't have one for my home either.

$10,000? You overpaid.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
valhalla360 wrote:

Define part time.

I could run my roof air for more than 3 hours in 2009. Cost of the system to do so was less than $2000. Cost for panels and charge controller was $6.64 per watt. Now panels are well under a dollar a watt (lowest price I ever saw was $0.26 per watt). My battery bank was 7 marine batteries @ $700.00. They lasted 12 years. The inverter was a Cobra 2500 watt MSW but rated to run motors.

So that same system would be much cheaper.

In the meantime battery technology has also improved dramatically.

I do have a generator but my costs for generators since 2000 total over $12,000.00. One died, 2nd one was nearly totally useless, 3rd one was stolen, 4th is now in a security cage.

The generator that lasted the longest was number one, a Kipor with a 10 year life span. I did have to have it serviced locally twice for very little money. It was also the 2nd cheapest.

I use the generator extremely sparingly.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
time2roll wrote:

Hey if you are happy to sleep in 95F and high humidity, you are a better man than I.

Also, we have had park power go out in those conditions, so grid power is a far from perfect solution.

THIS!:C
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
time2roll wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'