cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing lithium batteries

rhodedog98
Explorer
Explorer
How do I winterize my lithium batteries or do I have to. The temperature is starting to drop at night. I read if fully charged they only lose 3% per month.
16 REPLIES 16

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
EMD360 wrote:
I guess I could just disconnect the negative and suspend the mifi service for the winter. At least a couple of months. Isnโ€™t that too simple though?

Nope it is a great example of the KISS principle. (Keep it Simple {I'm} Stupid)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I could just disconnect the negative and suspend the mifi service for the winter. At least a couple of months. Isnโ€™t that too simple though?
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
EMD360 wrote:
This is the first winter for my lithium batteries. I bought a temp stick to monitor the temps in the battery compartment. https://tempstick.com/ Temp Stick I added a WiFi line to the rv to read temp and solar plus battery info remotely. But Iโ€™m not sure how to deal with winter.
I wonโ€™t take the batteries out. The wiring is far too complex and too much work to just disconnect.
So far the low temp in the compartment has been at night so solar is not charging the batteries. We had one night at 30ยฐ but the compartment was 35ยฐ. The batteries have a constant load of about 9 to 11 watts. So the batteries are rarely below 95% charge. I could turn off the DC power but then could not monitor remotely!
I bought a battery warmer pad for the compartment even though it was not recommended for lithium batteries. It is thermostatically controlled to turn on at 35 but does not turn off unless the temp reaches 80ยฐ. It means once it turns on it wonโ€™t go off unless I control the extension cord with WiFi. Iโ€™m not sure why the upper shut off temp is so high. Instructions say to unplug it if the battery is warm enough.
So with my system not charging the batteries in the cold and having them depleted 10% is an issue over winter.

Not sure I understand?? If youโ€™re not using the camper why not just disconnect one of the battery cables? The self discharge rate of LFP is extremely low and should get you through the cold season without any issuesโ€ฆ

3 tons

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
This is the first winter for my lithium batteries. I bought a temp stick to monitor the temps in the battery compartment. https://tempstick.com/ Temp Stick I added a WiFi line to the rv to read temp and solar plus battery info remotely. But Iโ€™m not sure how to deal with winter.
I wonโ€™t take the batteries out. The wiring is far too complex and too much work to just disconnect.
So far the low temp in the compartment has been at night so solar is not charging the batteries. We had one night at 30ยฐ but the compartment was 35ยฐ. The batteries have a constant load of about 9 to 11 watts. So the batteries are rarely below 95% charge. I could turn off the DC power but then could not monitor remotely!
I bought a battery warmer pad for the compartment even though it was not recommended for lithium batteries. It is thermostatically controlled to turn on at 35 but does not turn off unless the temp reaches 80ยฐ. It means once it turns on it wonโ€™t go off unless I control the extension cord with WiFi. Iโ€™m not sure why the upper shut off temp is so high. Instructions say to unplug it if the battery is warm enough.
So with my system not charging the batteries in the cold and having them depleted 10% is an issue over winter.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
rhodedog98 wrote:
Thanks everyone this clears up a lot of cobwebs for me this puts me in the right direction.

From a seller:

https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep-lifepo4-lithium-ion-batteries-happy/

which is pretty much what I said with more explanation asside from the slant that Battleborn are the best ๐Ÿ˜‰ I got my numbers from the cell manufactor instead of a sales page as I am always worried about sales misconscrewing the numbers to protect there warenty, which they very very often do, and I understand them if they can just slightly change the operating instructions a tiny bit and reduce the chance of a return by 80% its in therebest interest. some take this a little to far though.

there are also slight differeneces between form factors of the same chemistry, for examle cylindrical (battle born) pouch (nobody I hope) and prismatic (becoming more and more popular all the time due to the simplicity of building). most of the differences are in how wekk they can shed excess heat from charging and discharging which affects the rates.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
rhodedog98 wrote:
Thanks everyone this clears up a lot of cobwebs for me this puts me in the right direction.

From a seller:

https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep-lifepo4-lithium-ion-batteries-happy/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rhodedog98
Explorer
Explorer

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhodedog98 wrote:
Steve thanks but would the core freeze if they are left outside?

no they dont get hurt from storing them even fopr up to a month at -45C and up to a year to -35C. the numbers posted above are for usage at different temps, the battery must be above 0C to charge it and above -20C to discharge it.

if you get below -35C then I would thing about disconection it and brining it inside the house.

Once again PianoTuna is quoting numbers from older Li chemistry.. as long as it is not at 100% you will be fine, thats why I say discharge it to 90% and let the natural loss take it down while in storage. I even wonder what starting at 100% would do in all reality... even new smaller Li batteries that are shipped in stuff are normaly at 75-80% when you buy them now, not like 20 years ago when you bought a new cell phone and had to charge it over night before you used it.

Steve

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked the manufacturer's specifications for your particular battery? Everyone here is just guessing. Some lithium battery models say to not expose them to temperatures below -4F. If you expect temperatures that cold I'd be very cautions about leaving them outside.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No water in a lithium battery to freeze, expand and cause damage. Disconnect and it is fine. Lithium is lighter and clean compared to lead-acid so bringing it inside for the winter should be less hassle. Bring it up to maybe 50 degrees before you place it back in service.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would charge them to 13.2V (70%) and then disconnect them.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Li dealers appear to recommend only 50% state of charge for storage.

Li hate being float charged, so turn off all sources of charging.

Freezing them is ok so long as there are zero parasitic loads.

Make sure they are well above freezing before charging in the spring.
Regards, Don

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Storage at 100% SOC isnโ€™t recommended by any RV Lithium battery manufacturers that I know.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much all the manufacturers seem to state that storage down to 0 or even -20F is fine, but do not charge if below 32F. The more sophisticated lithium chargers will automatically shut down at 32, but to be sure, I'd disconnect them. That also eliminates the vampire loads that many campers seem to have.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear