Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Real world MPG Ford V10, what gear and cruising speed ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Real world MPG Ford V10, what gear and cruising speed ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My question is actually about an Excursion but i figure there might be useful info here.

In my conversations with owners of V10 Class A's and Class C's people have claimed to get the same MPG my Excursion gets empty (about 10)

So i get 11 empty if i work at it and i get 6-7 MPG towing a 5,000 lb Hybrid.

I have 3.73 gears, mostly flat East Coast. Mostly at 70 with flow of traffic.

Truck will usually stay in overdrive but i usually drop it down.

I think 4.30 gears will allow me to stay in OD at about 2400 RPMs.

No, i will not go slower. I chose this truck and this camper so i don't have to. I travel with two boys and the difference between 60 and 70 is about an hour of campfire and setup time that we usually cannot afford to give up.

thanks

Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid

1972 Revcon

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a question in here somewhere?

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam for decades. You'll get answers from 4 - 15 mpg. The avg for a Class A gasser is probably about 7-9 mpg with literally a million factors at play. And comparing an Excursion to a Class A MH is comparing oranges to basketballs.

Maybe I am missing something but I don't get it.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Is there a question in here somewhere?

The question is in the subject. I've googled and found those conversations but they seem to always leave out one part of the equation.

It only helps if i have MPG, gears, weight and typical cruising speed.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ll post later, but I have the info you need, even going from 3.73-4.30 with a V-10 Excursion.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANK YOU for saying you won't slow down. Seriously, thank you. Moving with traffic is imperative. Driving slow in any type of RV makes you a hazard, and that's not a good thing.

I get tired of seeing selfish statements such as "I'll drive 50 or 55, and if anybody doesn't like it they can pass me". Really? How considerate [emoticon]

If I feel like making a more leisurely drive, or if I'm that concerned with my fuel economy (yeah, right!), I find US and state highways to be wonderful, and use them often.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my 31 foot class a, towing or not I feel lucky if the first digit is a 7. I normally drive 60-65 on interstates, stay in the rightmost (aka the slow) lane and get passed a lot. It is true that if I’m getting passed on the right, I may be in the wrong lane.

I whole heartedly disagree with the notion that driving the speed limit or less (but above the posted minimum) makes you a hazard. The hazard comes from those behind you who apparently aren’t paying attention to what’s going on around them. I’ve heard the same thing relative to slowing down BEFORE you get on the exit ramp thinking that the guy behind you will run over you. Only if you fail to use you turn signal should this be an issue, and even then your brake lights should give the guy behind you a clue that you’re slowing down.

It may be true the those following you may be questioning your heritage or if your mother knew who your father is, or telling you to perform some act upon yourself that is impossible, but so what. Drive the speed you are comfortable with.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not bothered by people going slow. I just threw that in because i expected someone to mention it.

Ultimately, i just want to know if a V10 can move 13,000 LB down a flat road at 70 mph and get 9ish MPG.

Maybe it's not possible.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

In my 31 foot class a, towing or not I feel lucky if the first digit is a 7. I normally drive 60-65 on interstates, stay in the rightmost (aka the slow) lane and get passed a lot. It is true that if I’m getting passed on the right, I may be in the wrong lane.

I whole heartedly disagree with the notion that driving the speed limit or less (but above the posted minimum) makes you a hazard. The hazard comes from those behind you who apparently aren’t paying attention to what’s going on around them. I’ve heard the same thing relative to slowing down BEFORE you get on the exit ramp thinking that the guy behind you will run over you. Only if you fail to use you turn signal should this be an issue, and even then your brake lights should give the guy behind you a clue that you’re slowing down.

It may be true the those following you may be questioning your heritage or if your mother knew who your father is, or telling you to perform some act upon yourself that is impossible, but so what. Drive the speed you are comfortable with.

To each his own. I just try to be as considerate of a driver as I possibly can. Not everybody shares my philosophy. That's why we use US and State highways as much as we do.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/21 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 36 ft Class A with a v-10. Best I got was around 8 mpg traveling at 62 on flat Florida roads. If I up the speed , mpg dropped to 6-7

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/21 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try very hard to be considerate while driving too, I just draw the line when keeping up with the flow requires driving more than the posted speed limit by a lot, or it makes the RV uncomfortable to drive.

wildtoad wrote:

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Real world MPG Ford V10, what gear and cruising speed ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.