Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Real world MPG Ford V10, what gear and cruising speed ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Real world MPG Ford V10, what gear and cruising speed ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hertfordnc wrote:

I have 3.73 gears, mostly flat East Coast. Mostly at 70 with flow of traffic.

Truck will usually stay in overdrive but i usually drop it down.

I think 4.30 gears will allow me to stay in OD at about 2400 RPMs.

A numerically higher gear ratio will hurt your fuel economy.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok. I had an 02 Excursion initially it had 3.73 gears. While it towed my 9300lb loaded TT OK, it was not great at it. And it was getting 5.7mpg doing it. So the first thing I did was swap to 4.30 gears. Really woke it up and I gained .5 mpg because the engine wasn’t working hard and it could now tow in OD at 67mph. Hen I installed a 5 star tune. This really helped with the shifting and performance, and here again I gained approx .3 mpg. Towed like this for years and I was getting 6.6mpg avg. then I happened across an air deflector for the roof to help push the air up and over the top of the trailer, this gained me .5 mpg and an added bonus of no more bug splattered on the front of the trailer. So in the end I was getting 7mpg with help. Plenty of power in the mountains, never dropped below 55 even on the steepest of grades that had some diesels at 35. My GCW was just shy of 18k lbs.

Now I have a 12 class A on the F53 chassis, V-10 with the 5 speed. I was getting 5.2mpg initially and would drop mph on the slightlest incline, I hated driving it. So I went with 5 star tuning again. Night and day difference. I’m up at 5.8 mpg avg. and no more dropping speed on any incline. I haven’t driven in the mountains yet. I tow a 13 Ford Explorer and the GCW is 27k lbs! I feel these F53 are under geared, as it feels just like my Excursion did before I did the gear swap. I believe my model F53 has 4.56 gears, and here again it should have 4.88 minimum. Sometimes it won’t stay in OD. That little extra gear would let it stay in OD and allow it to be more efficient at max weight, which is where most all class A’s are at when loaded for a trip.
I’ve seen people claim 9mpg in a class A, maybe in a low height 30 footer with no toad, but not in a 12.5ft tall 35plus foot long towing!
I would say be lucky if you can get 7 mpg.

This was my X and TT.

[image]

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

hertfordnc wrote:

I have 3.73 gears, mostly flat East Coast. Mostly at 70 with flow of traffic.

Truck will usually stay in overdrive but i usually drop it down.

I think 4.30 gears will allow me to stay in OD at about 2400 RPMs.

A numerically higher gear ratio will hurt your fuel economy.

No it won’t, from first hand experience. This is for towing. Non towing highway I lost .3 mpg.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That V-10 is going to suck gas no matter what! Going through modifications to get .3 or .5 better towing MPG's is futile especially if it decreases non towing MPG's.
Now if you want to get better performance the mods maybe worthwhile.
But the idea of doing mods to increase MPG's is futile and generally wont pay for themselves.
It's going to cost you some $$$ to tow a big box down the road. THere is no way around the physics and gas dollars $$$ required

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

That V-10 is going to suck gas no matter what! Going through modifications to get .3 or .5 better towing MPG's is futile especially if it decreases non towing MPG's.
But the idea of doing mods to increase MPG's is futile and generally wont pay for themselves.
It's going to cost you some $$$ to tow a big box down the road. THere is no way around the physics and gas dollars $$$ required

1 MPG is 10%, that's about $400 in one camping season so an axle swap (if i do the work myself) will pay for itself in a couple seasons.

But i just want my question answered- what MPG, what gears, how much weight and what speed?

i believe if my current cruise RPM is 2350 in 3rd and i swap gears so it's 2400 in OD at the same speed, i think i might get better MPG.

* This post was edited 11/07/21 11:25am by hertfordnc *

Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid

1972 Revcon

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hertfordnc wrote:

Lantley wrote:

1 MPG is 10%, that's about $400 in one camping season so an axle swap (if i do the work myself) will pay for itself in a couple seasons.

But i just want my question answered- what MPG, what gears, how much weight and what speed?

i believe if my current cruise RPM is 2350 in 3rd and i swap gears so it's 2400 in OD at the same speed, i think i might get better MPG.

Yes, towing rpm in OD with 4.30’s will be around 2400. I could never use OD with 3.73’s and in 3rd at 67 I was around 3000rpm.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

hertfordnc wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Yes, towing rpm in OD with 4.30’s will be around 2400. I could never use OD with 3.73’s and in 3rd at 67 I was around 3000rpm.

Using your own figures you gained .3 by going to 4.30 gears and .5 from the five star tune that equals .8 more MPG's you went from 5.7 to 6.5
Based on 4000 towing miles and gas price at 3.42 per gallon you get a difference of $304.00
Now what' the cost to change gearing? 1500.00 per axle? How about a five star tune? $500.00
Honestly I don't know those cost but if it's $2000.00/304.00 per year in savings it will take 6 years to break even.
My point is chasing mpg's with mods is futile. The V-10 is going to suck gas. The mods will not provide signifaicant savings.
You can just buy the gas you need to tow that box or you can buy mods a slightly less gas and spend the same money to tow that box
However to do mods for for performance is more subjective.
If getting up the hill faster is what you want you can pay a price and achieve that goal. However if better MPG's is what you want you generally ewill get very little return on your investment once the numbers are crunched.
Diesel owners play this same game from day one.
Yes a diesel will always get better MPG's but once the numbers are crunched the MPG's alone do not financially justify the cost of going diesel.
Now if better performance is what you want the diesel will deliver but again the parameters are more subjective.
I learned a while back that the only winners in the MPG /tuner game are those selling the tuners and gizmos.
The end users are just spinning thier wheels if MPG improvement is the goal.

* This post was edited 11/07/21 06:11pm by Lantley *

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

making progress. I'll look into hte five star tune

* This post was edited 11/07/21 05:55pm by hertfordnc *

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

hertfordnc wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Using your own figures you gained .3 by going to 4.30 gears and .5 from the five star tune that equals .8 more MPG's you went from 5.7 to 6.5
Based on 4000 towing miles and gas price at 3.42 per gallon you get a difference of $304.00
Now what' the cost to change gearing? 1500.00 per axle? How about a five star tune? $500.00
Honestly I don't know those cost but if it's $2000.00/304.00 per year in savings it will take 6 years to break even.
My point is chasing mpg's with mods is futile. The V-10 is going to suck gas. The mods will not provide signifaicant savings.
You can just buy the gas you need to tow that box or you can buy mods a slightly less gas and spend the same money to tow that box
However to do mods for for performance is more subjective.
If getting up the hill faster is what you want you can pay a price and achieve that goal. However if better MPG's is what you want you generally ewill get very little return on your investment once the numbers are crunched.
Diesel owners play this same game from day one.
Yes a diesel will always get better MPG's but once the numbers are crunched the MPG's alone do not financially justify the cost of going diesel.
Now if better performance is what you want the diesel will deliver but again the parameters are more subjective.
I learned a while back that the only winners in the MPG /tuner game are those selling the tuners and gizmos.
The end users are just spinning thier wheels if MPG improvement is the goal.

My gear change cost me $100 twice (2 $100 deductibles). So it never figured into the equation. While the mpg increase was nice, I was going for towing performance. And after having the X for 13 years, the tuner paid for itself more than once in the fuel savings. And the driving experience was changed for the better quite a bit! For the average person a gear change may not pay off $$$$$ wise, but it will pay off in performance gains.

Think of what .5 or 1 mpg savings over the course of 10 years and 70k miles can do? It may sound worthless up front, but on the backend it’s worth every penny all the way around!

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think MPD (miles per dollar) is a more realistic analyst than MPG (miles per gallon). Who cares what the MPG are if the price of a gallon is $0.159. What is of concern is if the price of a gallon is $6.00. Which is likely if they shut down Line #5.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Real world MPG Ford V10, what gear and cruising speed ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.