cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Payment method

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard Discover card isn't widely accepted in Canada. Have trouble getting a Visa or Mastercard because I haven't had monthly payments on anything in years. Was wondering how samsung pay or google pay was accepted.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)
8 REPLIES 8

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Go talk to your local credit union. A real live person face to face, the manager.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lack of available credit or poor credit score when one is fiscally responsible and also has no debt sure seems counterintuitive. But it happens.
Have a buddy who, during the last recession, tried to take loans to buy up some property on the cheap. He is a general contractor.
Ended up having to reverse mortgage his home as he couldnโ€™t even get secured loans with the proper down payments (vacant land is harder to finance and generally requires more $ down than home loans).
There he sat, late 30s wife n 2 kids, lots of money in the bank and investments, living in a $2M home that he didnโ€™t owe a dime on. No car loans, cc debt, etc either.
At the same time, we got a loan for 50% of the purchase price of a tract of land. And a good interest rate to boot. While making less income than them. No problem. Difference was I was or had been carrying 1-3 mortgages depending on how many homes we owned at a given time, and I took out short term loans several times to buy vehicles or toys, even though the loans were generally paid off within a year.

Aside from your query about credit cards and Canada, if youโ€™re having trouble getting a credit card, Iโ€™d also check into things like your auto and homeowners insurance to make sure youโ€™re not getting charged a premium for them due to your credit score.

It appears, by simply having a mortgage and charging everything on credit cards, it keeps your credit score up.
But we carry Cc balances sometimes, intentionally. When a company wonโ€™t quit sending you 0% balance transfer offers, we will take them up on it, just because.
Latest example, wife charged the entire expense including first semesters tuition books and dorm for our son, on the credit card. Then transferred it to a โ€œno interestโ€ one.
That was good for a couple free plane tickets!
When itโ€™s up, may pay it off, may transfer it again.

The way debt forgiveness works now, if your old, Iโ€™d rack up all kinds of debt.
And you can work it where you hide your assets (trusts or give it to the kids before you die) and then your executor can give the creditors the middle finger, legally.
Or even if you have debt that could cause a lien against your estate after you go to the big campground in the sky, repayment of that debt can be negotiated down, considerably.

You can thank predatory lending and irresponsible spending for these loopholes for the otherwise responsible people out there!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Apple Pay a lot (I donโ€™t do anything Google), very convenient to just double click the iPhone or Apple Watch to pay at point of sale where the register/gas pump accept it. You can easily switch between cards before you pay. What I have found is depending on the merchants software they may not accept some cards. Somewhat frustrating is they may take Apple Pay, they may not accept Appleโ€™s card (yet) even though itโ€™s a Mastercard. Weird.

I try not to use a debit card for purchases cause if the card number gets hacked the potential is there to clean out your bank account. Yes most banks will cover the fraud, but youโ€™re out the money until they do. But if you must, setup a separate bank account.

Another thing on the security angle is I have the Apple Card which is really nice. Itโ€™s metal which is different, but more important is it has no numbers on it front or back. Very handy when you have to give the card to the server for payment. No chance for them to write down the card information. If the place needs the three digit code the card info is on the phone or watch.

It took me forever to get the Apple Card even though I had an 840 credit rating. Seems the issuer Goldman Sachs too much outstanding debt. The only debt I had was my motorhome loan which I was two years ahead on payments as I was making double payments. Once I made a very large payment they issued the card.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
I've heard Discover card isn't widely accepted in Canada. Have trouble getting a Visa or Mastercard because I haven't had monthly payments on anything in years. Was wondering how samsung pay or google pay was accepted.

That shouldn't keep you from getting a Visa or MC. Go to your bank and tell them you want one. Unless you're an absolute desperado, they should be very accommodating :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Do you want credit?
Or simply a plastic method to pay expenses?
A card to debit against a bank account with a Visa logo works anywhere a credit card does.
If you actually want credit, Try either your bank or a major retailer for access. Like Capitol One and their connection with Walmart.
Also , if you have poor credit due to no credit history, try going to experian.com and add your regular bills into their boost program, your regular payments for utilities and other monthly expenses can help you build a file.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe get a prepaid visa then, or a few in 200-250 increments etc. You could also apply for a secured/ student credit card, where you deposit funds and then that's how much you have on the card. A debit card with a visa logo (from your bank, for your checking account) withdraws directly but still gives you flexibility.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, I donโ€™t know of any place around where I live in British Columbia that accepts Discovery Card, none.
Hope this helps
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Have you a payment history on the Discovery card? Did you pay notes on your auto/truck? Have you defaulted on any loans?

What is Visa/Mastercard giving as reason for denial?