cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bathroom cabinet replacement

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
My Class C has a basically useless tiny corner wall cabinet over the toilet. I'm considering replacing it with at least one shallow, tall & narrow wall cabinets
similar to these IKEA cabinets.

These cabinets are 5.5" deep, 16" wide, and 38" tall. Even one of them would provide more storage than the tiny corner cabinet.

Shipping weight on this specific cabinet is 26 pounds. So the whole thing would weigh maybe 30 pounds, including contents of toiletries and/or towels, etc.

Almost anywhere I put them would be an outside wall of the RV. I'm not opposed to making holes, etc. Just need to get adequate support without poking all the way through the wall!

How is the best way to mount a cabinet like this on the wall?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
6 REPLIES 6

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
coolmom42 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
35 years Commercial Construction thatโ€™s the best Construction adhesive I have ever used. The holding power is insane.

Sounds like a good way to put a cabinet on a wall. Might use some short screws to kind of clamp it in place.

Please read my detailed first post.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
35 years Commercial Construction thatโ€™s the best Construction adhesive I have ever used. The holding power is insane.

Sounds like a good way to put a cabinet on a wall. Might use some short screws to kind of clamp it in place.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Wall stud would be preferred. If not a few dabs of LocTite PL3 on the back and #12 Phillips head sheet metal screws.

Hold the cabinet in place, have someone place tape on the wall at one edge and bottom and drill two holes top and bottom thru cabinet and the 1/8โ€ thick wall panel that are the diameter of the solid portion of the screw. Now drill the same holes in the cabinet to just larger than the screws. Dab a few balls of the adhesive on the back a few inches in from the cabinet edges so adhesive does not squirt out past the edges. Place the cabinet to wall aligning side and bottom to tape so holes align. Now gently screw the fasteners just so they snug the cabinet to the wall.

With that adhesive it will never fall off the wall.

This makes a lot of sense.

Your comment about the adhesive led me to do a little googling about construction adhesives. I foundthis article comparing holding power of various adhesives. The weight amounts are pretty impressive. I realize these are static loads, but still they are far in excess of what the small cabinets would weigh.

I think you are right, some short screws combined with adhesive would be a very strong combination.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wall stud would be preferred. If not a few dabs of LocTite PL3 on the back and #12 Phillips head sheet metal screws.

Hold the cabinet in place, have someone place tape on the wall at one edge and bottom and drill two holes top and bottom thru cabinet and the 1/8โ€ thick wall panel that are the diameter of the solid portion of the screw. Now drill the same holes in the cabinet to just larger than the screws. Dab a few balls of the adhesive on the back a few inches in from the cabinet edges so adhesive does not squirt out past the edges. Place the cabinet to wall aligning side and bottom to tape so holes align. Now gently screw the fasteners just so they snug the cabinet to the wall.

With that adhesive it will never fall off the wall.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Butterfly fasteners.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu