Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A cappuccino, a cruller and a life decision
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> A cappuccino, a cruller and a life decision

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes things fall together when not expected. Hubby and I are both turning 61 within the next couple of months so we've started talking about where to live when we retire. Last year we discovered a cafe in Kittery Foreside, ME, not far from Kittery Trading Post and the town of Kittery. Had some time to kill this afternoon and it was a beautiful day so we headed up with the plan of going to KTP and then treating ourselves to a cappuccino and a cruller. Made our way to one of the town piers and just sat for a while looking over the water while we enjoyed our treat. We'd often talked about moving to Maine but circumstances just didn't allow it. It was almost an epiphany that this is where we'd like to move to when we retire, which if all goes well will be in about 5 years or so. It felt good to resolve at least one issue for our future. Always subject to change, of course, but all things being equal it looks like Maine is where we will go. One decision made thanks to a cruller and coffee!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/21 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations and best wishes!

George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I moved int my dream house when I retired 15 years ago . I have since moved 3 more times , each one my dream house including 15 months fulltiming in a toy hauler !

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is nice to make future plans, but with 2 people in their 60s, I'd not wait another 5 yrs or more to retire. If you are able to retire sooner, both still healthy, you will enjoy a better quality of retirement.

We all know of others, who had great plans for their distant future, when life threw a curve, and one partners health worsened, or loss of partner, ruined future adventures.

Sounds like you had a fun trip, great view, and coffee/snack! [emoticon]

Jerry

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is nice to make future plans, but with 2 people in their 60s, I'd not wait another 5 yrs or more to retire. If you are able to retire sooner, both still healthy, you will enjoy a better quality of retirement.

We are both about to turn 61-one in December, 1 in January. We need to meet with a planner to determine when it will be feasible to retire. We are hoping by 65. Can't collect full SS until 67 but as of right now our 401(k) plans are very healthy. A combo of the two should be enough.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

We are both about to turn 61-one in December, 1 in January. We need to meet with a planner to determine when it will be feasible to retire. We are hoping by 65. Can't collect full SS until 67 but as of right now our 401(k) plans are very healthy. A combo of the two should be enough.

A trusted financial planner is the key! I've had the same one for many years. I deal with my bank stuff, he takes care of all investments. I can pay myself whatever monthly payment I want, change when I want. I took SS at 62, per advisor, worked nicely for me!

I retired at 58, but did not roll 401 over until 60, almost 61. I worried that I may not keep busy enough, but never was an issue.

Jerry

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At my last (and the last real) employer, I was sort of a big deal, but I worked for Mr. Big. He pulled the plug with XX,XXX,XXX in his portfolio...and a lifestyle to match. He had determined that Aspen Colorado was his dream retirement place. 2 years later, he decided that the Texas Hill Country was really what he meant....2 years later, it was Taos that was the ultimate location (then a sidestep to Santa Fe), then back to Houston and so on. He's own place Number 6 (IIRC) since 2012.

Each stop along his journey required (remember, this is Mr. Big) a circa 2.5MM home...which is fine...but the repeated real estate fees, loss on sale, furnishing and refurnishing (I mean, Late Kit Carson motif just WOULD NOT work in Houston!...) to the point where he's probably lost (or at least spent) $6-7MM in the past 10 years that he won't get back.

I suspect the OP knows this and is likely to avoid anything like Mr. Big's silly approach of course, but renting in an area for a year or two before pulling out of the previous area or before sinking costs into long term assets would probably be a good approach.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect the OP knows this and is likely to avoid anything like Mr. Big's silly approach of course, but renting in an area for a year or two before pulling out of the previous area or before sinking costs into long term assets would probably be a good approach.

Definitely good advice but the area we are looking at is only an hour or so away from where we currently live and we are very familiar with it. It's a place we've visited for decades. Everything we own would come with us. Maine has called us for as long as I can remember. We'd still be close to family as well.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

That's a good approach in a long term, stable Real Estate Market. When my wife and I bought our first home, we had been living in an apartment while I finished college. After graduation, we decided to buy a home in Ocean City, NJ. It was a dream of both of ours. We both visited and loved Ocean City while growing up. My parents thought it would be a good idea to rent for a year or two before deciding to buy.

In Feb. 1999, we bought our 3 bed/2 bath, 1500 sq ft home for $93.5k, $16.5k less than asking price. Seven months later, the housing market had been heating up and the same exact house, steps away from ours, sold for $20.5k more. We were very happy we decided to buy when we did. That same home is assessed at $280k today.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's wishing you health and hapiness in Maine. When I was living in New York, as a youngster, we'd vacation in Maine during the summer. I remember we rented a cabin close to the water (I think it was the ocean, but may have been a lake). It's a beautiful state with lots of wilderness areas. One of my fondness memories is the food found in the general New England area...unbeatable fish dishes. I think my favorite is lobster bisque; never found any area in the country where it was made as good as in New England. Anything from the sea is better there, and you know it's fresh caught. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> A cappuccino, a cruller and a life decision
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.