Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Adding extra batteries - where do I put them?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Adding extra batteries - where do I put them?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
jffnkrn

peoria

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have two group 31 Duracell agm that do us just fine with an eu 3000 is Honda generator. use the generator in the morning a bit and afternoon a bit with a 200 watt solar panel for keeping things up. In the normal days without running generator, we get a couple days without an issue with just batteries, add plenty more with generator. but this is us, we don't have residential fridge and all the stuff that burns up power. And we are conservative. My thought if in your shoes is to pick up a small 2000 watt generator that will keep things charged, add one later if you want to parallel them for a/c.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

JMO, I'd not want to deal with a huge battery bank, for just an occasional boondock. I'd rather buy a light wt 2K gen, that can easily handle the charging needs. I have a Champ 2K 100565 for my seldom no electric campouts. Works great for all but AC.

Jerry

This is keeping it simple & what most do for the occasional dry camping more than a night at an event of some sort. Just be sure to use a quiet inverter type genny otherwise you will not be popular with your neighbours at all.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You inquired about installing more batteries and the discussion drifted to generators and cost comparison.

Sportsman 800/1000 - $160

Westinghouse 1800/2200 - $421

Champion 1850/2500 - $490

Any of these can recharge your batteries. The Champion MIGHT run your AC at lower altitudes. The problem with carrying a generator is dealing with the gas.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

You inquired about installing more batteries and the discussion drifted to generators and cost comparison.

Sportsman 800/1000 - $160

Westinghouse 1800/2200 - $421

Champion 1850/2500 - $490

Any of these can recharge your batteries. The Champion MIGHT run your AC at lower altitudes. The problem with carrying a generator is dealing with the gas.

Yes it certainly veered off topic. While I appreciate the information and it's good food for thought, the truth is we may boondock once a year for a few days. Not really worth throwing a bunch of money at a problem I don't really have. Installing 1 or 2 more batts would cover me. I was just inquiring about how to install them - in a remote bin, a specific tray, is there a kit for this, etc.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So another question comes up. We decided this weekend would be a good test run for boondocking with no changes and sort of figure out what we think we would really need if we choose to do it more often. We decided for this weekend we would take a cooler and not run the refrigerator. That should be our biggest amp draw. Aside from occasional lights, deploying slides and jacks, and perhaps the furnace a bit (shouldn't really need that), and the water pump, I am thinking the solar should keep the batts charged enough to sustain 2 days. I know all of this comes down to amp hours but I am not nearly versed enough yet to figure that out. But - I do like to think in terms of a worse case scenario. Suppose Sunday comes and we don't have enough juice to pull the slides in and jacks? Does the plug to the truck charge the batteries? If I hooked that up while running would it provide enough to prep to tow? And if so how long would that take? I was told the cord does keep batts charged while in travel but I never tested it and to what extent.

I know it's an elusive question lacking a lot of details but any thoughts are appreciated.

I really think if we decide to boondock a lot, a 3k genny or a pair of 2000's is a minimum requirement.

jffnkrn

peoria

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

good point and i will add, if your vehicle is wired correctly, you should be able to plug the trailer in, after starting your vehicle, just in case, and it will charge the batteries. the vehicle normally is designed to charge while driving, so put your jacks down and put your slides out while plugged in if you can, of course unhooked. In the meantime, you can also plug the truck into the trailer and give the batteries a little extra umph that may take care of you with the solar panel and get you through the couple days. the fridge mostly is on propane, shouldn't need that much juice. you will know if your truck is charging by turning on some lights, then plug the truck in and the lights get a little brighter. good luck, have fun ! ! !

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll,

400 to 600 watts of solar will run everything except for the roof air conditioner. Your battery bank will love you.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jffnkrn wrote:

good point and i will add, if your vehicle is wired correctly, you should be able to plug the trailer in, after starting your vehicle, just in case, and it will charge the batteries. the vehicle normally is designed to charge while driving, so put your jacks down and put your slides out while plugged in if you can, of course unhooked. In the meantime, you can also plug the truck into the trailer and give the batteries a little extra umph that may take care of you with the solar panel and get you through the couple days. the fridge mostly is on propane, shouldn't need that much juice. you will know if your truck is charging by turning on some lights, then plug the truck in and the lights get a little brighter. good luck, have fun ! ! !

Thanks for the idea to check the lights when plugged into the truck. The Refer is residential so no LP. It's a nice fridge but it's one of the things I don't like about this RV. It's the Achilles heel to boondocking.

* This post was edited 11/10/21 06:18am by way2roll *

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

way2roll,

400 to 600 watts of solar will run everything except for the roof air conditioner. Your battery bank will love you.

Clearly I have more homework to do. I have no idea how many watts the current solar panel is. And I have no idea how difficult it would be to add another panel - if I should even bother.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

way2roll,

Clearly I have more homework to do. I have no idea how many watts the current solar panel is. And I have no idea how difficult it would be to add another panel - if I should even bother.

I agree, My theory is always go with as much panel as you can aford as they are dirt cheep right now. I couldnt find your model details on line but does it not have a propane option for the fridge, I am assuming not. so is it a residentual or a 12v danforth style?

I have four good 6V batteries in the 5th wheel right now, and 480 watts of solar. this is just enough for me to go indefinatly in the summer, but I dont think it would be enough solar for a 12V fridge. I would be looking at putting as close to 1000 watts of solar as you can get and a few deicent batteries. it may sound daunting but solar panels are dirt cheep now. up here in the lad of the frozen I can get a 400 watt panel for about 240.00 and I know there a heck of a lot cheeper in the US. also I recal you mentioned space to put batteries was an isue (the reason for this thread) if you decide you like boondocking and some of the more remote areas and your not camping in freezing conditions I would seriously recomend looking at LFP battries as an option. at 1/3 the size and 1/4 the weight (for the same usable AH) and the ability to put them anywhere that is another option even if you can't upgrade the solar. if you size a LFP bank properly so you could camp for a week with out charging then any solar is just a bonus. now this could be pricy and the best way to get the real small foot prints is to buy the prismatic cells and put them togeather your self, but it could be done with off the shelf LFP also.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Adding extra batteries - where do I put them?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.