cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tankless waterheater question

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm new to tankless WH in an RV. When you winterize do you store them with antifreeze in the lines or can you effectively drain and blow them out? When I bought the unit during the PDI I was told to always put antifreeze in it because there is no way to get all the water out. I want to do what's going to protect my heater best but would live to avoid storing antifreeze it in.
4 REPLIES 4

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
You should run antifreeze through it if the trailer is going to see freezing temperatures. On-demand water heaters are built similar to a car radiator but acts in reverse. There are many tubing bends and flat sections of tubing that can hold water.

I have a portable outdoor on-demand water heater I have used when tent camping, with my pop up and when bathing the dog outdoors at home. After sitting for awhile thinking it was drained I picked it up to move it and water dribbled out. After using it I always bring it inside at home to store it. If I were to leave it outside in the shed for winter, I would definitely put antifreeze through it.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
SUMRX4 wrote:
So I'm new to tankless WH in an RV. When you winterize do you store them with antifreeze in the lines or can you effectively drain and blow them out? When I bought the unit during the PDI I was told to always put antifreeze in it because there is no way to get all the water out. I want to do what's going to protect my heater best but would like to avoid storing antifreeze it in.

Hummmmmmm. No information about the specific unit you are talking about or where/how/what it's installed in. I would suggest you read the manual that came with the tankless WH along with the general information in the manual that came with your RV.

Chum lee

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
If it is truly tankless I would run anti-freeze through it. If it has my kind of tank you should add a bypass valve for winterizing. Personal preference, I open the drains and lose the anti-freeze after running it through the pipes.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
use anti freeze.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.