Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Toilet broke loose!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Toilet broke loose!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Kober

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Looks good!

I think using the metal repair ring would be better overall, gives you 4 screws into the subfloor spread out over a larger area.

This means each screw sees half of the load when compared to using only two screw/bolts directly at the toilet mounting points. RV subfloors are not known for having a lot of strength and spreading out the load from two screws to four screws may prevent you from needing to do this again.

Would be a different story if you were dealing with a toilet in a home where you could get directly under the toilet from the underside and add extra reinforcements to the sub floor.

Yup, the 6 screws holding the ring down definitely makes it as solid as can be. The original ring only used 4 of the 6 holes.

2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner

Kober

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

So the bolt/lag screw solution I mentioned would have been the golden child as you could have placed the bolts at the proper center to center dimension to match the toilets holes.

Yup, it would have been the fastest easiest solution albeit I would be depending on 2 lags instead of 6.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not sure why anyone would unscrew their pipe from the tank and risk a potential leak. Simply use the thin plate shown or the bolt/lags I mentioned and get er dun.

Well, I did it for a couple reasons:
1. You're there, it's apart, might as well fix it completely.
2. It's never a bad idea to know how your coach is put together.
3. If you're a reasonably good wrencher, and if it's put together correctly, it can be disassembled and put back together without fear of leakage.
4, If it's not put together correctly, like mine wasn't, now's the time to fix it right and I know what is there and what I'm dealing with...if there is a next time.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/21 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not sure why anyone would unscrew their pipe from the tank and risk a potential leak. Simply use the thin plate shown or the bolt/lags I mentioned and get er dun.

Well, I did it for a couple reasons:
1. You're there, it's apart, might as well fix it completely.
2. It's never a bad idea to know how your coach is put together.
3. If you're a reasonably good wrencher, and if it's put together correctly, it can be disassembled and put back together without fear of leakage.
4, If it's not put together correctly, like mine wasn't, now's the time to fix it right and I know what is there and what I'm dealing with...if there is a next time.

Totally understand but there is that risk to have a worse problem. Happy it worked out for you.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Toilet broke loose!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.