Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Place your bets now!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Place your bets now!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I see noone is placing their bets, other than 12V who thinks I need a built trans and a re-gear on the truck that ISN'T broken...lol.

So I'll provide an update.
Dealer says module(s) not the issue, replaced whatever modules and no fixey the issue.
Say its NOT the trans and it's engine related. Shcecked spark plugs and injectors and they're grrrreat! (I could have saved them that effort, lol)
Now they're heading into the innards of the engine! [emoticon] I'm not actually sad, but I will be if they turn a perfectly good engine into a leaky pos with issues by taking stuff apart that they can't put back together right)
Seems the known 5.3/6.2 lifter issue could be the culprit. Will see!

Entirely different engine, entirely different dealership, ultimately different problem, but same brand on my older truck: once the stealership got into the "diagnostic engine teardown", the truck was never the same. It runs, it pulls more or less like it used to, but it just ain't the same. Not quite at the POS stage, but not the dependable vehicle it was, even if part of that is my gut feel. That stealership lost (since then) two new vehicle purchases and maintenance on 5 vehicles from me.

I hope your problem is soon identified and falls in the dealership's wheelhouse.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

Entirely different engine, entirely different dealership, ultimately different problem, but same brand on my older truck: once the stealership got into the "diagnostic engine teardown", the truck was never the same.

I hope your problem is soon identified and falls in the dealership's wheelhouse.

Well, that doesn't help my confidence level...lol. Here's to a mechanic with skilled hands and a brain!
I rarely take vehicles/anything to repair shops and/or dealer service centers. Partly because I can and do most of all my own work. Partly, because of the low number of instances I've taken a vehicle in/ by the high % of shop inspired additional issues or lack of a proper repair. Makes my hit rate for getting something done right at the dealer fairly low.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If anyone guessed lifters, they win!
2 collapsed lifters is what I was told this AM.
Dunno any more details yet, and I sure hope it also cures that whining noise that started up that sounds alot like a transmission pump!

Now taking bets how bad it is.....The engine sure wasn't making any noise like I've heard from a collapsed lifter before.

* This post was edited 11/15/21 02:12pm by Grit dog *

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lifters eh!!!!

Had that issue with my 6.5TD. they blew 2or3 rrplacent ones on start up, then blamed the whole motor or some such BS. New motor just past Warranty.....

Good luck.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Yes I'm hard on transmissions. Especially if first gear is really tall like the th400. Tallest ever on market. Load one down in my case 15-20k gcw, try to go up a 15-20% grade, stop and go traffic all day long, even with 4.10 gears in pumpkins. Thing get overheated really fast, stalling out was not uncommon. Yes I did have an aftermarket big cooler. Helped a little. I have more get up and go with my 6 sp auto, 3.42 gears and a V6 in my current 1500 than I did with the 88/89 BB 3500's I had. I would've had to drop to at least a 4.88 to not have as many issues as I did.
Driving on a freeway is different than here in Puget sound local roads. Saw an article the other day, steepestroadin Seattle proper is 26.3%. Those grades wreck havoc with an improperly speed drive train.

Marty

This is why GM put the th475 in motorhomes and other applications that would see extended pulling in lower gears with a lot of weight.

Same tall ratios, but straight cut gears to get rid of the thrust loads in the gear sets, for extended pulls with a lot of load and throttle opening.

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Buddy has a th475 out of his old motorhome. Actually 454 and trans he just built the motor up for his latest project. It’s sitting in a 72 C10 with the motor built to about 600hp. Engine is quiet as can be ( for a big cam) but it sounds like it’s got a Pete Jackson gear drive in first gear!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thx Marty. Fortunately I don’t own the truck or I’d probably be a little wound up about it!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, when looking to replace my 2020 Ford Edge ST in August with a 150/1500 truck I ruled out the hemi/RAM because of the lack of oil to the cam. And I ruled out the GMs because on this, https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/07/gm-........amount-of-v8-engine-valve-lifter-issues/ as I did my research. This is the statement I ran across "misfire condition with a bent pushrod that leads to a collapsed lifter or the lifter comes apart." There seems to be a design issue with the angle of the push rod to the lifter.

* This post was edited 11/18/21 05:49am by Me Again *

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And back to the TH350 and 400. Back in the first have of the 70's I was a NCR Field Engineer in Seattle and we had a fleet of Chevy station wagons. Driving them in the snow it was best to kick them into neutral to come to a stop or the tranny would cause the rear to over come the traction of the front tires and turn it into a toboggan.

Oh yeah, the 2 speed power glide is in a lot of dragsters and drag boats. Just do not know how the poor POS stands up the 1000-2000 HP?

* This post was edited 11/18/21 07:46pm by Me Again *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who would know a transmission had lifters? [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Place your bets now!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.