cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

East coast trip heading south

jusfloors
Explorer
Explorer
Recommendations where to start a east coast trip south in September 2022? Want to start in Maine ish.
11 REPLIES 11

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
lucy6194 wrote:
Going south in January. Cape Cod to key west. Anyone done the i81.

Basically more concerned about weather than anything.

I81 south through PA can be very dicey if there's precipitation, particularly in the area of Ravine (Frackville to I78). Watch the weather and plan accordingly.
2017 LTV Unity

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I've been up 81 as far as Roanoke and that was maybe 2 years ago. It was Fine really but some have said it's pretty rough in places....so not much different than any other interstate I would day. Obviously you realize 81 brings you inland away from the coast and you are just meandering your way south.

You say you will be picking up a 5th wheel in South Carolina so not sure where you want to turn south again to head to SC, possibly 77 depending on where you are going in SC. Are you going to be near Charleston? Go to Patriot Point and Ft. Sumpter. See the Old Town district. It's a great city.

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Going south in January. Cape Cod to key west. Anyone done the i81. Always have taken 95. I'm a single 75 yrs old, woman traveling with 2 labs. Always stayed in hotels till after Virginia then camped. Husband was military so military campgrounds. Basically more concerned about weather than anything. Driving class c. Winnebago navion.

jusfloors
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again,bgum,Crowe, ferndalflyer, besure I'm writing all this info down and planning thanks Terry

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have beat that route to death but stayed out of NYC and Boston. Cherry Hill is good, stayed there first time in 1970 or so. If that is packed there is a KOA in Millersville, MD. With a truck camper you can park at BWI Amtrack station and ride to DC on the train--pretty easy. Annapolis, MD. 911 memorial in PA, Que Creek mine memorial, Gettysburg, Hersey, Harpers Ferry, WV, Winchester, VA. This post would be to long if I continue as we spent the last 2 years from PA to Palm Beach and stopped everywhere in between. I lived in DC years ago and never saw anything till relatives came to visit. Take a long time to see it all.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Cherry Hill Park. I would start up in Acadia/Bar Harbor and then work my way south. The southern Maine beaches are awesome (York, Kittery, Ogunquit). There are many quaint towns and villages along the coast. Portsmouth, NH, is a nice, small city with great shops and restaurants as well as Strawberry Banke and the USS Albacore (submarine). Stay at what's now called Spacious Skies campground (was Minuteman) in Littleton MA and explore Boston from there. I don't think Salisbury State Park will be open then. Keep in mind that many campgrounds in the northeast close by Columbus Day weekend. Do NOT take an RV into the city of Boston-the truck will be hard enough to fit. All the outdoor parking that used to exist is now a greenway space. Fall is the best time in New England-apple picking, fairs and festivals abound. All the outdoor parking that used to exist is now a greenway space. Further south you have the beaches in Maryland and the Carolinas. Further south you have the beaches in Maryland and the Carolinas plus the city of Charleston. Further south than that I can't help, other than when you get to Florida. Love the Tampa/St. Pete area. Beaches, museums, etc.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Cherry Hill rv park in College park Maryland is your best option for DC. Expensive but near metro and that saves your gas parking cost and nerves. Traffic in this area is very heavy. I know I lived and worked there for four years. You can spend 3-4 days in the Smithsonian alone. The Wall and Lincoln memorial are not to be missed. Fortunately most of the things to be seen are near each other. Wear comfortable shoes.

jusfloors
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Matt,bgum I am sure I will more questions as I plan my trip

jusfloors
Explorer
Explorer
Well we will spend the fall (September to mid November) working our way down to Florida. Want to start some where in Maine. will spend most of the time in a truck camper than switch to fifth wheel from south Carolina down. Interested in the scenery,camp grounds can be state, national or private. Boston is a City we want explore for sure. Smithsonian will be a must stop also. Any suggestions on any stops along the way is greatly appreciated.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We just completed a trip to the Boston area. We first visited the Smokies and went east from there. We avoided NYC by going just south of Albany. We the dropped down a little to finish about 70 miles north of Boston. We followed the same route in return. We had great fall weather and the colors were full bloom. Since the weather was so good the crowds and traffic were the only downside.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Jusfloors,

I am sure that many here can help a lot, but you have to give us some idea what you like.
Museums?
History?
Scenery?

Do you want FHU campgrounds or irregular dry camping?

Did you know that there is a city? It stretches from Rockport MA to Petersburg VA and is about 100 miles inland from the coast.
If you want museums, you will be in that city. If you want bucolic scenery, you want to be out of that city.
Unless you are an automotive masochist, you want to cross the Hudson no farther south than Tarrytown and the farther north the better. Do Not go near NYC.

If you are carrying firearms in the police states of the east, read all the laws rules and regulations long before you start.

Matt - a refugee from the megopolis
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.