cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter battery maintenance

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
So, my new (to me) trailer was winterized at the dealer before we picked it up. But they did leave the battery attached. I live in central PA, and it gets cold here during the winter. I tend to bring in the rechargeable tool batteries from the shed.

Should I bring in the camper battery? My bro-in-law suggested that even if doing that I hook it up to a maintainer? Thoughts?
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!
25 REPLIES 25

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Our tractors run 4D and 8D batteries, big honkinโ€™ FLA batteries.

They typically get parked about this time of year until around Easter.

Most are never touched or have any charger on them that whole time. Some of those batteries are well over 10 years old.

The 2 tractors we do use in the wintertime have a cheap 6 or 10 amp charger on them plugged into a cheap lamp timer that powers the chargers for an hour a day, around 3 or 4am usually.

No need to make stuff complicated.

On older tractors this was what we do. On our newer tractors the parasitic draw will drain the battery down after a month or so. One of the newer tractors has a built in switch so you can shut the battery off. On the other one we have to put a battery maintainer on it.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our tractors run 4D and 8D batteries, big honkinโ€™ FLA batteries.

They typically get parked about this time of year until around Easter.

Most are never touched or have any charger on them that whole time. Some of those batteries are well over 10 years old.

The 2 tractors we do use in the wintertime have a cheap 6 or 10 amp charger on them plugged into a cheap lamp timer that powers the chargers for an hour a day, around 3 or 4am usually.

No need to make stuff complicated.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
My batteries have sat disconnected outside for 6 months each year through the winter for 9 years now with no maintainer and have not lost capacity.
I must have some pretty special batteries that can do that. :B

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Fisherman, my batteries are 10 years old and still going. I credit the battery maintainers with the long life. I have antique cars and also keep maintainers on them and have very good luck with long life batteries in them too!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Bring them home. Mostly so that somebody does not want them more than you. There is no need for a maintainer. Every month, maybe two, give them a charge enough to bring up to full charge. Wet cells in good condition will only lose about 10% charge per month in storage.

I find it amazing the amount of info people put out there when it comes to batteries. Idle batteries, ie, not being on a maintainer do sulfate and once that happens the batteries loose capacity. Your money, quit trying to hose others that like to keep their equipment in good shape.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bring them home. Mostly so that somebody does not want them more than you. There is no need for a maintainer. Every month, maybe two, give them a charge enough to bring up to full charge. Wet cells in good condition will only lose about 10% charge per month in storage.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the page for my Power Center:
https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8955-55-amp/

In the manual it says:
Three-Stage Smart Charging
In order to maximize battery life, it is best to charge batteries slowly, keep them topped off with a trickle-charge when the RV is not being used. The 3-Stage โ€œsmartโ€ charger continuously measures the battery voltage output and regulates the amount of charge using three modes of operation; Absorption, Bulk and Float modes.

So, it sounds like Iโ€™m good with that? It sounds like just keep the RV plugged in and it should maintain the battery?
MK and my Wifey from PA

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have a fully charged good battery just disconnect the negative post and recharge in spring. I have done this every year for the past 14 years. I just fully charged my batteries both chassis and my 2 6v GC house batteries this week when I winterized and will recharge in April. No need to keep a charger on all year. A fully charged battery will not freeze over the winter and has a very slow self discharge in cold weather.

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
So a few of you mentioned leaving them in place on the trailer with the trailer plugged in, to let that do the job of the maintainer. Could somebody elaborate? I haven't gotten to look into the inverter/power system much, but I do have some electrical understanding.
MK and my Wifey from PA

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I keep all of my batteries that are not used much on battery maintainers, it seems like they last a lot longer if kept fully charged at all times! I do not take them out in the winter.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I have always left my batteries installed and attached to the Progressive Dynamics converter. It does a good job of maintaining the battery and I can use the TT as a personal getaway when I need some alone time.
After all, I bought it to take care of my batteries.

Yep,the PD's with the de sulfate mode programming are very good to batteries, in my experience,also.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have always left my batteries installed and attached to the Progressive Dynamics converter. It does a good job of maintaining the battery and I can use the TT as a personal getaway when I need some alone time.
After all, I bought it to take care of my batteries.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Once the camping season ends, batteries go in the garage on the cement floor, ...

GASP !! HOW CAN THIS BE !!!. ๐Ÿ˜‰

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
mkenyon2 wrote:
I'd probably pull it inside and put it on a timer. Should I do a 1-Amp or more?

Anywhere from 1A-5A.