Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: You're kidding...Right?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> You're kidding...Right?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
wjschill

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/21 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just had new TOYO tires installed on our recently purchased Tiffin 36LA gas m/h. (2014)

They seem to ride a bit harder than the ones replaced. I see the installer set all tire pressures at 110 psi.

Now, I read that I should weigh all four corners to adjust each tire to the proper pressure. But, before I do so, fill the gas, propane, water, black and grey tanks, plus put in all our gear, tools, dogs, cats, and any people that might ride with us, before weighing.

Then add 5% for road temps, cold or hot.

I did weigh the rig for the front and rear axels, but surely there's some kind of average to stay within the safety factors.

So, flame me, scorch me, inform me....Please.

First time motorhome owner, just looking for answers.

Thanks in advance,

Skip

KillingTime

Two Jayhawks

Lenexa Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/21 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not have to take each wheel position weights. While that's nice to know it's not easy for many of us to get. Yes of course you can take averages from each axel and then refer to your inflation chart to get proper inflation.

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lower the tire pressure.

jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/21 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use your axle weights you have and go to Toyos chart and adjust pressure.... all tires same axle same pressure Its nice to know if one side is heavier than the other and it probably is, but you'll do fine. (that's what the add 5% comes from ) 110 sounds high for the rear and the front depends on how loaded it is . What does the load placard say is "recommended" for your coach. As a former truck driver, My experience was the first 5000 miles were always harder and a little more squirley until the tread broke in. JMO

Bill

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

110 is way to hight. Our 38 was 85/95. I had a heavy couch.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/21 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't fill BOTH the fresh water and waste tanks. There is no need. Put the amount of fresh water that you normally think you will need for your trip and then assume that as you use the fresh water it will end up in one of the waste tanks.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Load as you will travel.

Go to any truck stop that weighs and get your AXLE weights.

ASSUME left right weight distribution is 45/55

Use that "55" to go to Toyo's inflation chart to determine the MINIMUM PSI for that axle.

Add 10% so you don't have to worry about that every time you do a REALLY BIG Walmart shopping trip.

All tires on an axle get the same PSI.

DONE.

If you want it simpler-- not going to happen and still keep you safe AND with the best ride possible while being safe.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need the fresh water tank full and the black and grey empty. Should be full of fuel (or close). If possible have a driver and co-pilot on board but you can do that add-on math later if necessary. If you have a large propane tank (the 100# kind) that should be full as well. If you are not full time you will have to estimate some of the other weights like clothing, food in fridge and pantry and other kitchen devices and utilities.
If you happen to be near somewhere that 4 point (or 6 point w/ tag axle) this is far better as one tire can be carrying several hundred pounds than opposite tire on the same axle. It that's not available then take it to a CAT scale and they will give you all axle weights for around $12.00. You can use that as a starting point, add weight to that total to make up for the missing person and/or belongings and then use the TOYO website to adjust the tire pressure. 110# in all tires is NOT correct but will do no harm either. Once you lighten the pressure where possible the ride will improve substantially.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/21 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

options:

1) Use the tire pressure on the RV manufacturers label in the mh, usually near the drivers seat.
2) Use the gross axle weights provided by RV manufacturer, and look in the tire manufacturers manual.

If you still have issue with the ride:

1) Get the coach weighed and use the real axle weights to determine tire pressure.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t add for temp variations. That’s already built into the recommended cold inflation pressure. I run my fronts at 80 a d the rears at 95. Weighed and adjusted per Michelin’s chart.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> You're kidding...Right?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.