cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Water Valve Will Not Close

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
It was our last TT trip of the season - all was well, I had opened and closed the black water valve at our campsite a couple of times with no issues. The last day after emptying the black water tank I went to close the valve and it wouldn’t budge. When I applied some force the valve rod bent. I straightened it as best I could and tried to close the valve but the metal rod will not move. Now the rod interface at the frame is loose - the threaded hollow screw at the frame that the rod goes through, the and the nut that secures it to the frame are loose, and I don’t seem to be able to tighten it up. Any ideas guys - help ..:
12 REPLIES 12

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I just installed a temporary (?) valve per member feedback (WNJJ thanks) :
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=twist+on+rv+dump+valve&qid=1636654797&sr=8-3

So far so good. Is this add-on valve “street legal”, or will I have repair or replace the original black water valve ?

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
About 5 years after buying our TT, I found myself unable to close the black tank valve. Fortunately, it is only a foot or so up a straight pipe from the coupling, so after flushing the tank as thoroughly as I could, I put a cable grabber up there to see if I could get any debris out. Turns out that when they built the trailer and cut the hole in the tank for the drain, they just left the cut out IN the tank. I was able to grab it and drag it out, and the valve closed normally. You may find a similar "objet de art" stuck in your valve.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wnjj wrote:
Put one of these on and get through the winter: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=twist+on+...

I used one of those to temporarily fix my stuck open POS black tank flex cable valve. Once I returned to my home base I dumped the cable valve and use the guts of the temp valve to fix the POS valve and make it a manual valve.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Put one of these on and get through the winter: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=twist+on+...

X2
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest putting a good flow of water in the tank with a garden hose or a bucket and work the valve at the same time. Could be something stuck in the valve that might free itself with a little help..
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Better stuck open than closed. Replace the valve and be done with it. Consider yourself lucky and go buy a lottery ticket.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I drilled a small hole in the top of the valve and put a self tapping grease fitting in there. When every it gets hard to open I pump some grease in there and it operates smoothly again. For some reason it is always the black valve that sticks never the gray valve. You can also just drill a hole and spray lubricant in the hole and put a screw in the hole after the valve is freed up.

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
Okay guys thanks. We used our TT as a lifeboat when we lost power recently. If we need to find warm shelter this winter, I’ll just put double garbage bags to line the TT toilet, and we’ll hunker down. Black valve R&R will have to wait til later.

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Remove four bolts and replace valve.

X3.

The good news is the tank is empty and you have all winter to fix it.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

X2
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD