cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying a 500 lb motorcycle on the back of a Solitude 5er

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone carried a 500 lb motorcycle on the back of a Solitude 5th wheel? Did you reinforce the receiver hitch on the trailer? Any negative pin weight consequences? Please tell me about the pros and cons of doing such a thing.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
31 REPLIES 31

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
well Eddie, If you can supply something to show that.... I only was able to quote the above because that is all I found...

I did find some online chats from several forums that state if the 1st trailer is a Fifth Wheel or Goose Neck and UNDER 28', you can double tow... BUT, that came from just another forum with nothing to back it up...

Best for someone wanting to do so to call the states DMV and find out for sure
look it up on the Ga dot website. Its there. I was told about it by Ga State patrol.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

well Eddie, If you can supply something to show that.... I only was able to quote the above because that is all I found...

I did find some online chats from several forums that state if the 1st trailer is a Fifth Wheel or Goose Neck and UNDER 28', you can double tow... BUT, that came from just another forum with nothing to back it up...

Best for someone wanting to do so to call the states DMV and find out for sure
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
Ron, that is considered "double tow" and I know that anywhere in the EAST that is NOT permitted..

Quote - "In general, you'll find that every state along the Atlantic Coast bans double towing except for Maryland. Hawaii, Washington and Oregon also make it illegal to double tow"

That's why folks look for the swivel wheel trailer.... That is NOT considered a double tow. I believe ?? Someone here will correct me if I am wrong.....

Here - Swivel Wheel by Cruiser Lift

On edit, It LOOKS like it will depend on how you want to interpret the local state laws -

quote -"A frequent question asked is if the Swivelwheel system is legal to tow in all states. There are basically 22 states that do not allow double trailer towing, some of them call it triple towing. We consider the system an extension of the Fifth wheel or motor home. (Not a Trailer).

Although we do not agree, The State of New York has decided to re-class our swivelwheel system therefore, it could fall under the double/triple towing law.

A trailer is classified by a ball mount, our Swivelwheel system does not utilize a ball mount. There are other classifications but the Swivelwheel just does not meet them. For more information please call our toll free # 1-866-794-8357 or Email: info@cruiserlift.com.
This is false information for Georgia. You can double tow as long as the first trailer is a fifth wheel hitch. You cannot pull behind a ball mount.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I've looked into this also and in searching I found a bunch of these photos and they were just bicycle racks;
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^Thanks, it often draws attention when I use it.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Still impressed with your lift!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have an enclosed aluminum trailer that I've pulled behind my fiver several times. I also built a motorcycle lift for carrying my bike on the back. I think the trailer is safer ... a little less convenient and in some cases illegal. Loading too much weight behind the axle of a fiver causes the trailer to be more prone to sway. My bike is about 800 lbs and the lift and hitch probably another 200 or so pounds.

2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"As with anytime, if you are stretching the law, you need to have a plan, which also includes being prepared to PAY the consequences!"

In 2016 when I purchased my first road bike I was in SoCal. I paid $500 to transport it to WA that Spring. Then when heading South that fall from WA I paid $500 to ship it back South. Seeing how expensive this would become over time I purchased my Kendon and have double towed both ways twice a year since then. This trip South will be my 5th year double towing the West placing $5,000 in my pocket minus the Kendon and its insurance and licensing every year.

As you say Jerry I have a plan and I am ready to pay if needed. But so far not one time have I ever been given a second look. I do tow at the posted limit and stay in the right lanes.

I consider this a risk reward system. Fingers crossed!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^ Thanks Joe, and yes, over the years, I've paid a few tolls, when crossing that bridge. Just life experiences!

MFL wrote:
No question, a TH is the best way to haul toys!!

The OP has a nice FW, that he's not likely to change out. The OP is in Minnesota, lots of double towing, all over the midwest!

As with anytime, if you are stretching the law, you need to have a plan, which also includes being prepared to PAY the consequences! I stretch, kinda make my own rules sometimes, too many to mention, but I figure when I encounter that one grumpy old cop, OK YOU GOT ME, do what ya gotta do.

You say, "what if we were all like that"?? Well thankfully we aren't! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

Jerry, the Rebel ! ! ! :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
No question, a TH is the best way to haul toys!!

The OP has a nice FW, that he's not likely to change out. The OP is in Minnesota, lots of double towing, all over the midwest!

As with anytime, if you are stretching the law, you need to have a plan, which also includes being prepared to PAY the consequences! I stretch, kinda make my own rules sometimes, too many to mention, but I figure when I encounter that one grumpy old cop, OK YOU GOT ME, do what ya gotta do.

You say, "what if we were all like that"?? Well thankfully we aren't! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

fj12ryder wrote:
FWIW, I traveled through, and stayed in, several eastern states including Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, and Georgia pulling a Smart Trailer, which is a swivelwheel-type trailer. I was never given so much as a second glance in any of those states, or any others AFATG. Of course, YMMV.

I moved to using a toyhauler about 10 years ago, and haven't looked back.

I agree, and FWIW, I would also not hesitate BUT . . . There is always that 1 super cop that needs to show his intelligence of the law. . . I had one of those a few years back while towing my fiver around DC...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, I traveled through, and stayed in, several eastern states including Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, and Georgia pulling a Smart Trailer, which is a swivelwheel-type trailer. I was never given so much as a second glance in any of those states, or any others AFATG. Of course, YMMV.

I moved to using a toyhauler about 10 years ago, and haven't looked back.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ron, that is considered "double tow" and I know that anywhere in the EAST that is NOT permitted..

Quote - "In general, you'll find that every state along the Atlantic Coast bans double towing except for Maryland. Hawaii, Washington and Oregon also make it illegal to double tow"

That's why folks look for the swivel wheel trailer.... That is NOT considered a double tow. I believe ?? Someone here will correct me if I am wrong.....

Here - Swivel Wheel by Cruiser Lift

On edit, It LOOKS like it will depend on how you want to interpret the local state laws -

quote -"A frequent question asked is if the Swivelwheel system is legal to tow in all states. There are basically 22 states that do not allow double trailer towing, some of them call it triple towing. We consider the system an extension of the Fifth wheel or motor home. (Not a Trailer).

Although we do not agree, The State of New York has decided to re-class our swivelwheel system therefore, it could fall under the double/triple towing law.

A trailer is classified by a ball mount, our Swivelwheel system does not utilize a ball mount. There are other classifications but the Swivelwheel just does not meet them. For more information please call our toll free # 1-866-794-8357 or Email: info@cruiserlift.com.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7