cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVs over 10 years old are valueless

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 15 year old 5th wheel in perfect condition, but I am no longer allowed in RV parks - the same parks which allowed me in last year. They're all citing "the 10 year rule." Therefore, this 5th wheel serves no purpose anymore as I cannot travel with it. I am done RVing. Rant off.
84 REPLIES 84

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
restlessways wrote:
I have a 15 year old 5th wheel in perfect condition, but I am no longer allowed in RV parks - the same parks which allowed me in last year. They're all citing "the 10 year rule." Therefore, this 5th wheel serves no purpose anymore as I cannot travel with it. I am done RVing. Rant off.

You state perfect condition, is it clean, and waxed and looks new? I honestly think most 10 year rules are to cull out junkers.
I stay mostly in state parks and not an issue, I can see if it is a high park, but not a standard park.

The "10 year rule" now includes anything 2012 and older.I have a 1998 Jayco Eagle 243RKS, and on a scale of 1-10 I would give it a strong 7+.
I was not allowed to return to an RV park in Rockport TX that I have been wintering at since 2016 because of new ownership and their 10 year rule.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
pnichols wrote:
This discussion showcases exactly why we look for RV camping spots where there isn't -> yelling little ones, loud music, loud talk around other campfires, electric bikes/carts carts buzzing past and ... where there isn't ANY RV AGE LIMITS.

Here's an example of where we like to camp when we can:

Beautiful. Where is that?

My first guess was Cuddeback, but the hills in back look too tall.

If memory serves me right - Death Valley on a 4x4 road, I think.

We're planning on boondock camping there again this spring with friends in our 24 ft Class C RVs ... I hope it's open for boondock camping then. I do know that Scotty's Castle is closed, but that's just a place to visit in DV.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

dedmiston
pnichols wrote:
This discussion showcases exactly why we look for RV camping spots where there isn't -> yelling little ones, loud music, loud talk around other campfires, electric bikes/carts carts buzzing past and ... where there isn't ANY RV AGE LIMITS.

Beautiful. Where is that?

My first guess was Cuddeback, but the hills in back look too tall.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
For a little perspective, we have 18 campground reservations from now until April, and none of them have shown the slightest interest in the age of our 21 year old Class A. I do know that two of them would care if we wanted to stay longer than 30 days, including one that runs a soft credit report and a criminal background check for longer stays.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
eend wrote:
Those parks that only allow newer rvโ€™s are for yuppies only, you donโ€™t want to be there anyway.

Most of the places I've come across that has this rule are full of the "Get off my lawn" "No kids in the pool" old folks.

Highest amount I ever paid for an overnight stay, the sewer hook up was 3-4 feet from the neighbors picnic table. Could not wait to leave that place after dumping when they were having brunch. Couldn't help the time as we had to get going.

When leaving I noted the large area available where they could have spread out those two sites and made them much nicer. It's weird they let utilities dictate this horribly close layout.

I cannot express, after staying at several nice state parks forest service campgrounds most all my camping life, how bad I wanted to get out of there.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
I did make an entry to this thread just about a month ago but I decided to drop in and see where it was going.....

We are hosts for Boondockers Welcome I have decided that I will request a recent picture of all rigs less than 10 years old. I will make a special allowance for any over forty years old.

Matt

Matt, I might get in where you canโ€™t as mine is three years younger than yours!
I have been in a number of parks where I have seen them looking past me then when parked and looking over the rules seen the 10 year rule.

But as campground crowding continues and parks are sold to new owners I expect to run into being turned away at some point. Itโ€™s their option and will just move down the road. I have had mine for 21 years and not going to change now.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
eend wrote:
Those parks that only allow newer rvโ€™s are for yuppies only, you donโ€™t want to be there anyway.

Most of the places I've come across that has this rule are full of the "Get off my lawn" "No kids in the pool" old folks.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Andrew007 wrote:
I had to stop at this thread when I read its title. I still own a 2010 Ford E-Series Van, which is 11 years old and I still use it for RV camping trips.
I doubt anchorage is the kind of place that would have a 10 year old rule; it takes a special kind of moxie.

eend
Explorer
Explorer
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300

Andrew007
Explorer
Explorer
I had to stop at this thread when I read its title. I still own a 2010 Ford E-Series Van, which is 11 years old and I still use it for RV camping trips.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can anyone fault the CGs or other hosts for wanting to keep the eyesores off of their property?

Everyone loves a restored or maintained RV no matter the age. The units held together by luck tape & hope dope are another matter.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
The more beautiful places to go usually don't have that rule. Amazing places I have found off the beaten path. And Oh such nice people too. It's been fun and I will never go thru building/ upgrading another new RV. That was a load of work getting it up to what I wanted.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I did make an entry to this thread just about a month ago but I decided to drop in and see where it was going.....

We are hosts for Boondockers Welcome I have decided that I will request a recent picture of all rigs less than 10 years old. I will make a special allowance for any over forty years old.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.