Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RVs over 10 years old are valueless
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RVs over 10 years old are valueless

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/21 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

I have no idea why they refused me.

[image]

Tires hold air so they must be less than 10 years old.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/21 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other than some high end parks that charge a lot more than I'm willing to pay anyway, the parks where I've usually seen a "10 year rule" applied it only for long term/seasonal stays where legal issues with evictions can be costly. Too many parks have been burned in the past by folks abandoning RV's after renting a long term site.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/21 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ran into this situation last month. Our Allegro Bus looks very nice but the rv park has a 15 year rule which we still don't qualify for. I did tell them it was a 2006 and they said okay but we need to see a copy of the registration when you get here. We went to a county park a few miles away. Oh well, the county park was much less per month than the other one.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/21 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been in an rv resort with the 10 year rule. The last year we entered we arrived 2019 we had it looked at and perfect was the call. We do not have that awesome fifth but some here this season would be turned away. Probably the last season with less income made the reason to let them in. Not really bad looking rv's but just older. Sucks for the owners. chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/21 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Every couple years our Airstream becomes a couple years newer.

[emoticon] Hi, Airstreams are ageless. I have never run into this situation, but I heard that if you tell them you have an Airstream, they will let you stay. Mine is about 17 years old now.

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/21 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

restlessways wrote:

I have a 15 year old 5th wheel in perfect condition, but I am no longer allowed in RV parks - the same parks which allowed me in last year. They're all citing "the 10 year rule." Therefore, this 5th wheel serves no purpose anymore as I cannot travel with it. I am done RVing. Rant off.

You state perfect condition, is it clean, and waxed and looks new? I honestly think most 10 year rules are to cull out junkers.
I stay mostly in state parks and not an issue, I can see if it is a high park, but not a standard park.

That's our experience. They typically "forget" to ask the age if it looks in decent shape. We've never been refused even when we are at parks with the 10yr rule.

Now if it's an ultra high end place (ie: $500k diesel pushers are the bottom level rigs you see), they might stick hard and fast to the rule.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been asked twice for my 1997 rv age. The first one was a Branson, MO rv parking lot. I told him it was 14 years old...he looks out the big front window at the trailer and keeps writing info down. No problem.
The last time was last summer in a SLC rv parking lot. Same scenario. He looks out the window and was a nice looking unit. Its been trailer shed kept since 2000.

We don't stay in many rv parking lots but some times its the closest/handy on long trips.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

H & E

North Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/21 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 20 year old motor home and have never been refused, even when they had the ten year rule.
It is in great shape.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the rig is in decent shape the ten year rule is something simply not worth sweating over. Sort of like the 'no alcohol' rule. It is there for the abusers. The having a few at the campsite, no problem.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As noted the rule exists to permit facilities to turn away the junkers much like the signs often seen in businesses stating "We reserve the right to refuse service". The saddest thing about this thread is that were have already had half a dozen posters suggest or outright state that they just lie... [emoticon]

Sorry folks but integrity is like virginity... once it is gone it never returns. If you lie over such a trivial matter it makes me cringe to think how you you live your life day to day. Years ago when I was going to college one of my professors brought in a guest lecturer to speak to us about truth, integrity, and honor, as I recall he was a retired judge. He went on for nearly an hour hammering in his basic premise that in all things truth is paramount.

As he began to wrap up his talk he finished with: In conclusion you must always remember that it is NEVER, ever acceptable to lie... unless someone asks you to help them move. [emoticon]

As always... opinions and YMMV.

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RVs over 10 years old are valueless
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.